Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 PM

954 posts, read 938,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That doesn't sound like how illegal immigrants live in NYC at all

I think she just doesnt like poor people from uptown Manhattan
Seriously, it just seems like a weird thing to say.

I’m seriously starting to think that half the people on this forum have never even been to New York let alone live here.

Just a bunch of mid westerners trolling us.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If you can't speak fluent English, live on my block where I see you every day and know you have no job, deal drugs and get high in plain daylight I just do simple math. 2 + 2 = illegal and/or super questionable at least, bare minimum living off the dole while slanging'. If I see you out there at 6 a.m., noon, 4, 8 in the evening then next at 2 a.m. on my days off (not a 9-5er) and you're blown out every time I walk by it's pretty obvious at basics you aren't living legit. Don't get mad at me, get mad at the NYPD for turning a blind eye and not arresting people. Small children have to encounter that and it's sickening and shameful.
You're misinformed. Plenty of Americans struggle with fluency in English or, are fluent but feel more comfortable speaking another language. Generally speaking it is our fellow Americans who are the bums; illegals try to hold down a job for the most part for obvious reasons.

Quote:
It's only mean or brutal if you grew up in the welfare mentality. Grow up and put on your big boy pants, get an actual job? Oh yeah... that's HARSH. Last time I checked it was reality for anyone 18 or older. For some like me who grew up in a single mother household, less. I started working full-time and paying taxes at 14 and have ZERO sympathy, sorry. Especially in this economy where jobs are easy to get. I have no remorse for anyone able-bodied of semi-decent mind. If your mind is that gone, go get a cot and warehouse yourself somewhere before you step to this forum. That way the psychiatrists can deal with you instead of us.
Well, I don't know Homleess Loser's story but from what I understand, he is a veteran that is currently struggling. He might be working though he is in a shelter. I wish him all the best and would encourage him to stop worrying about other groups and focus on bettering himself.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
It happened on a busy section of Broadway in Washington Heights during work hours. I'm pretty sure the only reason his buddies broke it up was because they didn't want police attention. It had nothing to do with me. And the reality is that the worst stuff happened at night on the side streets. I wasn't quite so much as liberty to fight back in those situations, nor did I for safety reasons. If anything, I took a different route as did my neighbors for the exact same reasons, where I'd walk an extra several blocks just to avoid these street scenes. It isn't racial because it happened to all of us- white, Hispanic, black, male and female. It's just the way these types "establish turf" and it's pretty sad the NYPD doesn't do anything about it.
In Hamilton Heights the NYPD finally did something about it after rival dealers shot each other. Of course they interested because the neighborhood gentrified big time, and Columbia expanded to 135th street.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Huh?

You do realize that this is a self-styled "writer" who can't even read (all real writers know that a good reader is what makes for a good writer)...I specifically said "East New York" and this nut-job...let's just say this isn't the first time he's got very basic facts wrong.

He's just an even more impotent Trump who for some reason, like Trump, takes a shine to certain people and just can't stop referring to them...sad!
Read your way out of the shelter into a full time job and stop mooching of taxpayers.

I hate the idea of a self proclaimed expert mooching off government dollars while spending all his time on Internet forums.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
This isn't about your right to agree or disagree with anyone in particular.

I just thought I'd point out that this is a bad-faith actor -- intellectually dishonest and morally bankrupt; I was not indulging in hyperbole when I compared him to Trump.

I was just pointing out how this guy constantly heckles me -- and like any heckler, gets his facts all wrong, too....

Not the interpretation of data, mind you -- just basic facts, every single time...I specifically wrote "East New York" but of course he's not reacting to me or what I'm saying, he's reacting to voices in his own head....

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Was just surprised you found his obvious incompetence trophy-worthy.
No one is heckling you. I would say any homeless person needs to get a job instead of posting all day on the internet. Plain and simple. I would call out any case of freeloading.

If you see posts written by people more conservative than me they want welfare recipients like you shipped out of the city to God knows where.

Tell the truth, did you just move to NYC in order to get on welfare? I don’t think you’re from NY even, and this board is going to go nuts if you just moved here to get welfare benefits.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
It's only mean or brutal if you grew up in the welfare mentality. Grow up and put on your big boy pants, get an actual job? Oh yeah... that's HARSH. Last time I checked it was reality for anyone 18 or older. For some like me who grew up in a single mother household, less. I started working full-time and paying taxes at 14 and have ZERO sympathy, sorry. Especially in this economy where jobs are easy to get. I have no remorse for anyone able-bodied of semi-decent mind. If your mind is that gone, go get a cot and warehouse yourself somewhere before you step to this forum. That way the psychiatrists can deal with you instead of us.
Exactly. We work to support ourselves! On top of that, if you cannot support yourself you have no right to say what an entire community should do. He can’t even take care of himself and he has the nerve to comment about anyone else.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
If you have to ask this on an Internet forum; it’s not safe and you will probably end up getting harassed and/or molested by back alley multi-racial hollywood street toughs like this:

Please reference this thread every time someone ask this.

Thank you.
Ah yes, the backroom Spike and Eagle Crowd of a couple decades ago. Brings back fond memories.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:16 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Dear Principle Lewis

You addressed my opinion on it being ok to ask if a neighborhood is safe with the following response in part:

Again it’s the best advice i can give, if you are worried about these things, New York is not the place for you.

My rebuttle:
I have worked and still live in this city for close to 40 years. I respect your opinion as you should mine.
It is all about sharing our experiences so we can learn and grow together.

New York is for everybody. Close minded , open minded , people with personal or public views etc.. etc....
Look at the makeup of the city. There are neighborhoods that are similar and diverse.
Economically,Socially,Culturally..Period These are the facts.

Take a walk amongst your peers in various high school or college campuses. Some are safe some not so safe.
Better yet walk into any establishment ( McDonalds, Chinese takeout) right after schools lets out if you want to see how the kids act. I have. Some kids were polite while other were bouncing off the walls.
Remember these young adults represent the environment from which they come and hopefully our future.

You want to try a social experiment:
Walk into a high end restaurant with $1000 dollars in your hands dressed as a homeless person or into a high crime ridden neighborhood in a 3 piece suit with the same $1000 dollars in your hands. Let me know the results..

Heck, I remember many a housing project that had the seniors purposefully separated to their own buildings from the rest of the project population out of fear and safety concerns for the eledrly. This could be my mother, father or grandparents.
I was all for it back then .Still am today.

So again I will now address your comments personally.

Dear Principle Lewis
It's ok to Keep asking if a neighborhood is safe. Doesn't make you a bad person. It's normal. You are normal.
and above all if you wish it to be it can be quite personal...

Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Trump’s America.
If you read back you'll see that I'm a Democrat who despises Trump. I also lived in NYC for 7 1/2 years, so I guess that makes me about 3/4th New Yorker lol. I don't have anything against "Uptown poor people". I also do not have anything against someone who falls on tough times and needs city resources to get by.

What I absolutely DO have a problem with is someone who doesn't try to better themselves and accepts welfare as a permanent lifestyle, makes it generational and teaches it to their children. Welfare was meant to be a temporary safety net, that's it. If someone has a serious mental illness or disability of course that's different. But we all know there's PLENTY of people out there that are perfectly capable of work that are not.

That's who I have no sympathy for. Why any regular working person sits back and tolerates the tax rate being what it is, that's beyond me. When I left I was paying 35% between federal, state and city. That is way too high for a middle class person. It's why the honest working people are leaving in droves.

We simply want to keep the little money we have for ourselves and our families. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 AM

881 posts, read 614,619 times
Quote:
Amen. Sounds like total BS to me.

I grew up in ENY, and have plenty of black female friends from there. I have never heard of them experiencing anything like what homelessloser described. If anything it’s quite the opposite.
But of course you would say that.

You don't even acknowledge the legitimacy of safety concerns in general, never mind anything more specific.

Anyway, I'm not here to convince you and yours -- I'm just letting others know that they are perfectly correct in their concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City