Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why would price make you question safety of the area?

There is no such thing in NYC as cheap and safe anymore, anyway

There's people living in NYCHA paying more than me
Who said anything about price making you question safety....not me.
You missed my whole point, typical. Mr I think I'm better then people on this board, always judging them, coming off like you know everything.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Who said anything about price making you question safety....not me.
You missed my whole point, typical. Mr I think I'm better then people on this board, always judging them, coming off like you know everything.
Are you originally from NYC?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2017, 10:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Are you originally from NYC?
See again what does this have to do with anything?!?!
But to answer your question yay family migrated here many years ago.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Wait time out...

Can we talk about how you don't know where this picture is from!?

What kind of New Yorker are you!?!?

You've never seen The Warriors before? What have you been doing all your life?
Lol, you think that the picture posted in the OP is representative of the typical ENY hood rat? The look like they have lipstick on for Christ’s sake!

Old 12-15-2017, 09:05 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Lol, you think that the picture posted in the OP is representative of the typical ENY hood rat? The look like they have lipstick on for Christ’s sake!
Lol no but he was being ironic and funny

Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Not going to lie, I only go to the South Bronx when there is a Yankee game or in a car with the window's up. Feels like you are in a safari watching tigers in their natural habitat, sometimes you get that eerie feeling you don't belong there when people start staring at you every block you drive by.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM

881 posts, read 615,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Seriously, this is what I was thinking. You seriously still have to ask? IMO if your that clueless it’s time to move to the burbs.

It’s one thing asking a friend, it’s another thing posting on a message board.
And I say again: I wasn't asking. I was merely pointing out that even old-timey Noo Yawkerz like me consider "safety" a factor. It's why a lot of Chinese restaurants no longer deliver within certain neighborhoods -- not to mention Fresh Direct and others.

But what's wrong with asking on an internet forum anyway? That's exactly what they're for....

Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've always said that there is a difference between being safe in a neighborhood and feeling comfortable in a neighborhood. Those are two entirely different things that people frequently can't always separate. Depending on where you are, who you are, what time of day or night it is, how many people are on the street, and so on, you can easily have one (safety or comfort) without having the other. Or you can have the both. Or you can have neither.
Now this is a great point: I myself never realized my "male privilege" until a fellow runner who's female mentioned how she didn't run on Astoria Park's excellent regulation track at night (I was living in Astoria in another lifetime) and I was stunned, until she explained how she as a woman had to consider the fairly dark paths and even streets around the otherwise well-lit track...and so it dawned on me that I as a guy never worry about that stuff.

It's not that I'm Superman or something...I just don't think in terms of my physical safety (until now in advancing middle age) whereas a woman always does.

So all the black and brown folks here trying to act tough about their hoods -- it's 'cause they're used to that kind of "lifestyle," shall we say...and let's be honest: it's much easier for a minority to identify another minority in a police lineup in case of anything than for a non-minority to identify a minority...I'm someone who had biked through Bed-Stuy at two in the morning long before it was gentrified and got unwittingly sucked off by a cracked-out Korean hooker (really -- and I say "unwittingly" 'cause in my innocence I didn't realize she was a hooker until she got on her knees and just pulled my shorts down; at first I thought she needed help and then I just thought she liked me...) so what I say ain't coming from no lilly-livered transplant but an old-fashioned type of working-class New Yorker who still remembers when hip-hop was for clowns (well, it still is but now clowns are kewl)....

Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Wait time out...

Can we talk about how you don't know where this picture is from!?

What kind of New Yorker are you!?!?

You've never seen The Warriors before? What have you been doing all your life?
I thought the guy was being flip about it.

Made me laugh!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Why would price make you question safety of the area?

There is no such thing in NYC as cheap and safe anymore, anyway
It's not strictly about "cheap" per se -- just that the more expensive anything is the more you tend to keep out the riffraff -- gyms, for example. I don't recall any mixed-up weight stacks in the boutique gyms I've visited or worked at.

And by keeping out the riffraff you can much better keep out the crime. (So no locker break-ins, either, in addition to orderly equipment.)

They really ought to do homeless shelters like this. Those who stink should be kept in Joe-Arpaio-styled tents out of doors.

Quote:
There's people living in NYCHA paying more than me
Actually, I'd meant to point that out in the "mixed income neighborhood good or bad" thread...projects probably do benefit from relatively high earners still living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City