Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:52 AM

33,932 posts, read 47,205,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You can remain troubled because some of the questions asked here are stupid. Is this neighborhood safe? Is that neighborhood safe? I've lived other places and have traveled extensively, and you know what? Some of them were dangerous and I survived. I went to Naples in Italy. Definitely some dangerous neighborhoods, but I survived. It's like these people come here and lack any common sense or street smarts. They're panzies. And what if the neighborhood isn't safe? Are they going to melt? If they are, do us all a favor and don't come here. Most of these transplants are entitled, stuck-up a-holes who think they're better than native New Yorkers anyway, so why come here? This place is becoming bland mainly because of them.
There was a time where people used to come to NYC and not even ask if it was safe or not! They just needed a place to stay! Until they busted their hump and got themselves where they wanted to be!

Just keep killing the roaches until you make it!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-16-2017, 09:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
At this point in time, I feel safer walking the streets of ENY then a room full of business men...

Oh that's a very good point considering the crazy number of sexual assaults that businessmen were getting away with until recently.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There was a time where people used to come to NYC and not even ask if it was safe or not! They just needed a place to stay! Until they busted their hump and got themselves where they wanted to be!

People who are serious about moving here still do so. You live where you can afford, until you move up or find something better.

I think the ones asking or the least likely to move.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I too am troubled by the attitude by some on what is supposed to be a “relocation” forum. Some people come here to get info on neighborhoods in which they are not familiar. If everyone is just supposed to “know” or “have street smarts” or “be a native”, then what’s the point of this board?

And frankly some of the native New Yorkers here are the worst when it comes to passing along dated info or relying on preconceived notions. Just because you were “born and raised” here doesn’t mean you know everything.
I see your points. However, if you've ever been to a city before you can tell the difference between the hood and nicer areas, and well off neighborhoods are easy to pick out.

I do think the criticism of some of these questions is valid.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
How can I put this - over the years, the requests have not been as genuine as in the past.

And the natives are the best at giving info. Why would we give dated info?

The point is, the main reason people on here ask if a neighborhood is safe is because they're scared they'll get robbed or killed.

Who's the one with the dated preconceived notions now?

If I stood on a corner nowadays and passed out copies of Fear City, the transplants would believe it.

What they should not be asking us, if a neighborhood is safe or not. Its the city and anything can happen anywhere at any time.

What they should ask us is, "here's the type of person I am. Do you guys think after telling you about myself, do you think I would be comfortable living in (insert hood neighborhood) here? Or is the price not worth my sanity and well-being?
Good point. In Midtown a terrorism could run over a bunch of people or a crazy shooter could shoot a bunch of people.

Presumably the people asking these questions are young white kids with little or no travel experience. An experienced traveler is able to pick out places that they would like or feel comfortable in. If you're considering renting or buying a place, visit it first. Hang out in the neighborhood for a couple of hours, and walk around and get a feel of it.

This is assuming you have the money to be picky. If not you do what you have to do.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:47 AM

954 posts, read 937,960 times
Quote:

So dead on!!!!!

People asking this question are completely missing the point of moving to NY. It’s not about living in a “quiet” neighborhood or a “safe” neighborhood, those things are all relivitive here. It’s about getting a crappy cut up jolopy on a crappy block and living there until you win a housing lottery or shack up with someone. Then you can move to a slightly less crappy place.

That’s the New York way!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM

782 posts, read 526,356 times
Quote:
How can I put this - over the years, the requests have not been as genuine as in the past.

And the natives are the best at giving info. Why would we give dated info?

The point is, the main reason people on here ask if a neighborhood is safe is because they're scared they'll get robbed or killed.

Who's the one with the dated preconceived notions now?

If I stood on a corner nowadays and passed out copies of Fear City, the transplants would believe it.

What they should not be asking us, if a neighborhood is safe or not. Its the city and anything can happen anywhere at any time.

What they should ask us is, "here's the type of person I am. Do you guys think after telling you about myself, do you think I would be comfortable living in (insert hood neighborhood) here? Or is the price not worth my sanity and well-being?
The reason you see more of these questions now is because there is something called the internet and message boards that are supposedly here for people to get info and share experiences.

If your problem is some of these questions are overly simplistic, then ask for clarification. I personally wouldn’t answer with just a yes or no because everyone’s idea of safety or comfort level is different. I usually provide more color. And since neighborhoods change over time, asking for recent and relevant info is just doing basic due diligence. Again, isn’t that the main purpose of this forum?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:32 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,879,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
The reason you see more of these questions now is because there is something called the internet and message boards that are supposedly here for people to get info and share experiences.

If your problem is some of these questions are overly simplistic, then ask for clarification. I personally wouldn’t answer with just a yes or no because everyone’s idea of safety or comfort level is different. I usually provide more color. And since neighborhoods change over time, asking for recent and relevant info is just doing basic due diligence. Again, isn’t that the main purpose of this forum?
People have been asking for subcategories (especially to have lottery apartment in a separate place), but the mods have refused to accommodate the regulars in this forum. This forum actively discourages against having regulars as the volume of housing post drown out any normal discuss about NYC.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 AM

19,010 posts, read 13,918,942 times
People who aren’t your typical desperate, no money, no job, “NYC is amazing and I HAVE to live there” idiots will definitely be concerned with the safety of where they are moving (as they should be).

Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 AM

19,010 posts, read 13,918,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
People have been asking for subcategories (especially to have lottery apartment in a separate place), but the mods have refused to accommodate the regulars in this forum. This forum actively discourages against having regulars as the volume of housing post drown out any normal discuss about NYC.
Mods have no say in this. Regional forums can only have subforums for major cities/municipalities. Period, forum terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City