Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 PM

881 posts, read 614,619 times

Advertisements

So I just found out Lefrak City can't take SOTA 'cause being rent-stabilized they somehow cannot take a whole year's rent upfront but they will take Section 8....

SOTA's for "high-income" earners (relative to the typical shelter bum) -- you'd think Lefrak's management would want such folks to help turn around the place!!

Unbelievable....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 04:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
So I just found out Lefrak City can't take SOTA 'cause being rent-stabilized they somehow cannot take a whole year's rent upfront but they will take Section 8....

SOTA's for "high-income" earners (relative to the typical shelter bum) -- you'd think Lefrak's management would want such folks to help turn around the place!!

Unbelievable....
From what I hear Kefrak doesn’t really take Sectuon 8. They want people on programs out altogether. Lefrak became the defacto projects after lots of people in programs moved.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:54 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
What is SOTA?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
I see lefrak is renting out to the public, somewhat market rent. The facility is huge, and was a big deal when it opened it's doors. Filled with working class middle income families, but things just went south.

They used to call it Iraq, for a reason.i don't find the location so great, long walk for the subway.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I see lefrak is renting out to the public, somewhat market rent. The facility is huge, and was a big deal when it opened it's doors. Filled with working class middle income families, but things just went south.

They used to call it Iraq, for a reason.i don't find the location so great, long walk for the subway.
It's not that far from the subway.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

Things "went south" for LeFrak City same as other post WWII housing projects for working/middle class families. It got busted by complaints of housing discrimination and that was that; African Americans moved in, and whites began to move out. By the 1970's the place was no better than some NYCHA housing projects...

TROUBLED LEFRAK CITY TURNING THE CORNER - NYTimes.com

Old 12-17-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Things "went south" for LeFrak City same as other post WWII housing projects for working/middle class families. It got busted by complaints of housing discrimination and that was that; African Americans moved in, and whites began to move out. By the 1970's the place was no better than some NYCHA housing projects...

TROUBLED LEFRAK CITY TURNING THE CORNER - NYTimes.com
Not quite.

Originally, for African Americans to move into Lefrak, they held them to strict standards. One had to be a teacher, a nurse, or whatever, and one had to make a certain amount of money. Things were perfectly fine with working African Americans and Latinos in Lefrak.

The housing lawsuit claimed that this income verification problem had disparate impact on Blacks and Latinos. In order to settle the housing discrimination lawsuit, Lefrak began taking in large numbers of people from Section 8 from the poorest parts of Brooklyn. That is when whites began to move out. As Lefrak further declined, Blacks who had the money to leave moved out, leaving Lefrak City LeCrack city. 1970s Lefrak still was nowhere near as bad as late 80s Lefrak.

Had Lefrak been allowed to keep it's job and income verification in place, and not forced to take on Section 8 applicants, it never would have degenerated into what it became. Also keep in mind that in the 70s and 80s it was almost impossible to evict a horrible tenant so long as the checks came in.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:00 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
As a side note, I went on the inflation calculator and the rent for a 1br back in 1984 in LeFrak (According to the NYT article) worked out to $850 in today's dollars. It goes to show that even during NYC's darker period it wasn't really ever that cheap.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
What is SOTA?

I had to scratch my head on that too. I divined that it likely means SPECIAL ONE TIME AID.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Having not been to the place just peeked at Yelp reviews for LeFrak City. Some very positive, some not so good.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/lefrak-city-corona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City