Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time,emergency vehicles, with red and blue lights, breezing through traffic, with no emergency present. Maybe they are late to something, or they just don't like traffic. Those red and blue lights are for emergencies only. Am I right?

So I decide to follow 2 corrections vans, to see what emergency they could possibly have. When they finally stop, guess where? The 711! A freaking coffee run, really. And these guys also carry guns. So an emergency coffee run.

Another occasion, it is Em's, picking up Chinese food. I'm waiting for my order, looking up the boulevard, see the lights, only to see them ordering and waiting for their food. So a meal break is also an emergency?

I see the cops do it too. Lights and sirens, only to cut in line of other motorist, to get on the highway. Once on the highway, no more lights.

Hey folks, these city employees are special?! They get alot of o.t., a nice pension, and a powerful union to back up their rights to some sort of entitlement. I see they are " immortal" and treated like God's, because they are special? Gtfoh.

Is it not against the law to use emergency lights for non emergencies?if it's not, I should just put some red and blue lights on my car ,and do the same ,,right? What makes these regular people feel they can flick boogers at the tax paying public, only so they can shave a few minutes to eat?

These same folks plead "I'm on the job" when they decide to park on the sidewalk, or park facing the wrong way,or at a hydrant. Even when they are off duty.

And these cops claim" I'm on duty " 24 hours a day. Don't cops have to clock in and out like everyone else? I doubt they get paid for a 24 hours shift. Most of these people don't even live in the city, and could care less what the public thinks of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I see it all the time,emergency vehicles, with red and blue lights, breezing through traffic, with no emergency present. Maybe they are late to something, or they just don't like traffic. Those red and blue lights are for emergencies only. Am I right?

So I decide to follow 2 corrections vans, to see what emergency they could possibly have. When they finally stop, guess where? The 711! A freaking coffee run, really. And these guys also carry guns. So an emergency coffee run.

Another occasion, it is Em's, picking up Chinese food. I'm waiting for my order, looking up the boulevard, see the lights, only to see them ordering and waiting for their food. So a meal break is also an emergency?

I see the cops do it too. Lights and sirens, only to cut in line of other motorist, to get on the highway. Once on the highway, no more lights.

Hey folks, these city employees are special?! They get alot of o.t., a nice pension, and a powerful union to back up their rights to some sort of entitlement. I see they are " immortal" and treated like God's, because they are special? Gtfoh.

Is it not against the law to use emergency lights for non emergencies?if it's not, I should just put some red and blue lights on my car ,and do the same ,,right? What makes these regular people feel they can flick boogers at the tax paying public, only so they can shave a few minutes to eat?

These same folks plead "I'm on the job" when they decide to park on the sidewalk, or park facing the wrong way,or at a hydrant. Even when they are off duty.

And these cops claim" I'm on duty " 24 hours a day. Don't cops have to clock in and out like everyone else? I doubt they get paid for a 24 hours shift. Most of these people don't even live in the city, and could care less what the public thinks of them.
Cops are never really off of the job. You hear about it all of the time... Off-duty cop shoots gunman. I have friends who are NYPD cops and yes they get O.T., but they also put their lives on the line for all of us every day. I look at it is a thank you, and no they don't get set hours, so you eat when you can. All of this shouldn't have to be spelled out to you... Are you really that dense?

Now there are some that abuse their power, but most cops and E.M.s are decent folks who just want to go home to their families at the end of the day. They deal with all of the crap the rest of us don't want to deal with... The crazy homeless people, the drunks, the terrorists and so on.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
Although what you describe is out of pure frustration, really doesn't define misuse of city vehicles. Misuse would be using a sanitation truck to pick up someones private garbage (non scheduled collection) or using a NYCHA truck for moving as apposed to a uHaul. I've also read a case where someone used a FDNY ambulance to drop friends off at the movies. However, you can always file a report How do I report misuse of a City vehicle? with the city if you see some fockery going on with a city vehicle!!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM

104 posts, read 102,625 times
On a side note - I see my neighbor works for DEP and travels to and back from work in a company Prius (parking it on the streeet outside his house). I don’t want to be a you-know-what, but I feel a portion of my high water bill goes into paying this perk. Am I in the wrong?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Actually, what the OP described was indeed misuse and even abuse. As a cop, paramedic, or firefighter, you're not supposed to put on those emergency lights unless there is an actual emergency. Even using placards to park in front of the hydrant is illegal now.

Watch this video: There was probably an Uber driver up front taking forever to move, to charge a poor client the $5 cancellation fee while the app read that the driver will be there in 1 minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhhILfgWQs

Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Cops are never really off of the job. You hear about it all of the time... Off-duty cop shoots gunman. I have friends who are NYPD cops and yes they get O.T., but they also put their lives on the line for all of us every day. I look at it is a thank you, and no they don't get set hours, so you eat when you can. All of this shouldn't have to be spelled out to you... Are you really that dense?

Now there are some that abuse their power, but most cops and E.M.s are decent folks who just want to go home to their families at the end of the day. They deal with all of the crap the rest of us don't want to deal with... The crazy homeless people, the drunks, the terrorists and so on.

cops are never really off the job? yes they are, punch out, and your services are no longer needed. the random off duty cop shoots a gunman, that may be the exception if the officer just happens to be in the store when some bad stuff pops off. but guess what, it is not his collar. some of the other city employees dont have this mentality where they feel they can mess with you or run around with lights on on a whim. and that retired cop, still trying to push his weight around, with a gun , just boggles the mind. would hate to be their neighbor, only to have "joe schmo off duty" talking crap to me if I have my music on.

teachers are not going to go around educating people after hours, the sanitation worker is not going to dump any garbage unless they getting paid, and that EMT is going to think about liability if they come upon an accident scene. just cause you have a badge and gun, does not make you special! even the bad guys take time off, when they are not on the clock! these folks just want to go home to their families? so go home and hang your uniform up to dry.

there is a reason why COs and POs cant have normal friends, because they feel like they are gods. I guess you may have not been in a situation where LE is at a gathering of regular folks, like a BBQ, and try to pull that cop crap, messing up the party. people just feel uncomfortable around them. you have not experienced what I have experienced, like a very drunk cop, with a gun, who cant even walk straight. or the cop, that got drunk at the station, only to drive home to Staten Island, mowing down a mother and child.

and as for crazy homeless, i have to deal with them every day on the subway. the drunks, I have to drink around them., and with the terrorist, which are EDPs, working in midtown puts me at risk as well. Social workers also need to deal with them, should we cut them some slack?

city employees choose their professions, just like the rest of us. They should be working in a higher standard if they want this god like respect and acceptance. too many times, I see a retired city employees use that "im retired from the city" or relatives of officers say"im am a family of" flashing a courtesy shield, extending immunity to crime.

the main point of my post is, "why are these folks feeling entitled to abuse the system, disrupt the public, only because they are hungry?" this is abusive.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM

47 posts, read 36,830 times
Quote:

I completely agree.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
cops are never really off the job? yes they are, punch out, and your services are no longer needed. the random off duty cop shoots a gunman, that may be the exception if the officer just happens to be in the store when some bad stuff pops off. but guess what, it is not his collar. some of the other city employees dont have this mentality where they feel they can mess with you or run around with lights on on a whim. and that retired cop, still trying to push his weight around, with a gun , just boggles the mind. would hate to be their neighbor, only to have "joe schmo off duty" talking crap to me if I have my music on.

teachers are not going to go around educating people after hours, the sanitation worker is not going to dump any garbage unless they getting paid, and that EMT is going to think about liability if they come upon an accident scene. just cause you have a badge and gun, does not make you special! even the bad guys take time off, when they are not on the clock! these folks just want to go home to their families? so go home and hang your uniform up to dry.

there is a reason why COs and POs cant have normal friends, because they feel like they are gods. I guess you may have not been in a situation where LE is at a gathering of regular folks, like a BBQ, and try to pull that cop crap, messing up the party. people just feel uncomfortable around them. you have not experienced what I have experienced, like a very drunk cop, with a gun, who cant even walk straight. or the cop, that got drunk at the station, only to drive home to Staten Island, mowing down a mother and child.

and as for crazy homeless, i have to deal with them every day on the subway. the drunks, I have to drink around them., and with the terrorist, which are EDPs, working in midtown puts me at risk as well. Social workers also need to deal with them, should we cut them some slack?

city employees choose their professions, just like the rest of us. They should be working in a higher standard if they want this god like respect and acceptance. too many times, I see a retired city employees use that "im retired from the city" or relatives of officers say"im am a family of" flashing a courtesy shield, extending immunity to crime.

the main point of my post is, "why are these folks feeling entitled to abuse the system, disrupt the public, only because they are hungry?" this is abusive.
What is with starting each sentence in lower case letters? I can't even take you seriously writing like this.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
On Thursday, I was driving back from NJ. I came over the GWB, and took the Deegan to the RFK. THREE TIMES on the Deegan, an ambulance was behind me with lights and sirens on. I moved over each time, but it was just moving at the speed of traffic, so I eventually passed it each time (it was in the middle lane, and I got back into the left lane once it has passed). I stopped moving over after a while because it came clear it wasn't in an actual rush. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What is with starting each sentence in lower case letters? I can't even take you seriously writing like this.
if you want to correct my writing style , consider fixing yours. it is not "what is with starting..." the correct way to write it is "what is this with starting..." . besides, I dont come on this forum to get educated in my command of the English language. go tell Ms. Crabtree the problems you have.

as for as your response to my post, you obviously get special favors from the same city employees I speak of. Im sure you have a PBA card in your wallet, to fix the little stuff.

touche !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City