Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I dont feel sorry for these people, if your going to put your familys safety at risk because of religion, then there is something wrong with you.

the hot plate from the last fire, really, you cant turn it off, im sure god will understand.

really, cant change a battery, im sure god will understand.

sorry, no sympathy for these stupid people and thier stupid religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A thousand reps
You both are going straight to hell (if you believe in it - we Jews don't) for your hateful sentiments and comments.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There was a whole discussion about this with the community and many people said the same thing that I did. I guess they are anti-Semites too for expecting a business that is supposed to serve EVERYONE in the community to be open on Saturdays. The nerve of us to think they should open on Shabbat.

And no I don't keep kosher. Am I going to burn in hell?
Of course you won't burn in hell. We Jews don't believe in hell for one thing.
And in any case, we believe that non-Jews are not expected to keep kosher.
You should follow your own religion or no religion if that is your choice.

But just as you are not expected to keep Shabbat or kosher, people who ARE observant Jews are not obligated to keep their kosher cafe open to serve YOU.

I work in a largely Muslim area. Many of the stores close a few times during the workday for prayers (Muslims pray 5 times a day). Is it reasonable for me to be angry that they are not available to be open for ME, a customer, during their prayer times? I don't think so!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
They want the money. That rep didn't invent itself.
That rep was invented by anti-Semites like you.

And no, they would rather lose some money and keep the Sabbath/remain closed Saturday, as you can see.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
As anti-religion/cult as I am, even I can say that my belief in personal freedom overrides my personal views on issues such as how and when they choose to conduct business. As long as it is never considered “discrimination” to opt out of dealing with Jewish businesses that may not provide the services one needs on the days they are needed, then Jews (or any other religion) should always be able to make their own choices on these matters.

If your favorite Jewish bakery is not open on Friday Night/Saturday, too bad for you, find somewhere else to shop. That is their prerogative.
Believe me, plenty of us go elsewhere. This is just an example of how the lack of flexibility and rigidness in religion causes problems that don't have to be. This Menorah fire could've been prevented too and I'll leave it there, as it should be obvious what my stance is on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As we're not in the religion forum, all I can say is if they are Orthodox then they can't open Saturday and there are numerous reasons more than some of their employees being not Jewish. But if you want answer as to why then go over to the Judaism forum and place your question in the 'The "Ask a Jew" thread'
I know the answer, and no they are not Orthodox, hence my flexibility comment. The Jews in the areas I live tend to be far more liberal as opposed to the ones you find in say Borough Park or even Midwood.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Of course you won't burn in hell. We Jews don't believe in hell for one thing.
And in any case, we believe that non-Jews are not expected to keep kosher.
You should follow your own religion or no religion if that is your choice.

But just as you are not expected to keep Shabbat or kosher, people who ARE observant Jews are not obligated to keep their kosher cafe open to serve YOU.

I work in a largely Muslim area. Many of the stores close a few times during the workday for prayers (Muslims pray 5 times a day). Is it reasonable for me to be angry that they are not available to be open for ME, a customer, during their prayer times? I don't think so!
My point still stands. The neighborhood is not predominately Jewish, and many of the patrons that go to the café are not Jewish. May I also add that they raised funds to open their store with plenty of monies from non-Jewish people, so without us they would not be open in the first place, so as a small business who was supposedly looking to serve EVERYONE in the community, we thought they should be more accommodating.

Of course they have a choice to close on Shabbat, but the point is many residents can only go on weekends when they are around so they are shutting themselves off to those who aren't Jewish, and while they may keep kosher, that is not the main theme of this store. They are a farm-to-table café with healthy organic and gluten-free options, that just so happens to be kosher. They portrayed themselves as being there for the entire community upon opening, not just the Jews that live here. After that whole fiasco, believe me, plenty of people now go elsewhere. Their loss, not ours. They aren't the only farm-to-table place around...

And yes, I follow my own religion, I just don't cling to it for dear life, especially not in 2017.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 12-21-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
R.i.p.

@}--->---'----

Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Believe me, plenty of us go elsewhere. This is just an example of how the lack of flexibility and rigidness in religion causes problems that don't have to be. This Menorah fire could've been prevented too and I'll leave it there, as it should be obvious what my stance is on the issue.

I know the answer, and no they are not Orthodox, hence my flexibility comment. The Jews in the areas I live tend to be far more liberal as opposed to the ones you find in say Borough Park or even Midwood.
Where do you live? What makes you say they are not Orthodox?
Why do they then close their stores on Saturday?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Where do you live? What makes you say they are not Orthodox?
Why do they then close their stores on Saturday?
Because they don't want to offend their customers that keep kosher. I don't see what difference it makes as to where I live. I'm pretty sure they are not Orthodox Jews. I've lived in enough areas with sizable Jewish populations and have had enough Jewish friends to know. We have other kosher places in the area that are far more stringent with keeping kosher (those places are glatt kosher). We have a few places that now do this fusion, where they are kosher but mix with another cuisine.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Because they don't want to offend their customers that keep kosher. I don't see what difference it makes as to where I live. I'm pretty sure they are not Orthodox Jews. I've lived in enough areas with sizable Jewish populations and have had enough Jewish friends to know. We have other kosher places in the area that are far more stringent with keeping kosher (those places are glatt kosher). We have a few places that now do this fusion, where they are kosher but mix with another cuisine.
It's impossible to know if they are Orthodox by their dress or appearance, for example.
And some non-Orthodox but otherwise traditional Jews also keep Shabbat/the Sabbath.
Not all Orthodox or observant Jews wear black hats or even kipot/yarmulkes. Some Orthodox Jewish women wear pants (not skirts) and don't cover their hair.

Also, a restaurant is not considered kosher (if run by Jews) if it is open on Shabbat.
So to remain kosher, they would need to close on Shabbat.

It seems this restaurant finds it important to be kosher and serve whatever minority of Jews are in the neighborhood.

I don't see how this is a crime.

Whenever it's ANOTHER minority (not Jews) it's considered a good thing to provide services for minorities. But not for Jews. (Things that make you go "hmmmm"...)

Last edited by Shoshanarose; 12-21-2017 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
My point still stands. The neighborhood is not predominately Jewish, and many of the patrons that go to the café are not Jewish. May I also add that they raised funds to open their store with plenty of monies from non-Jewish people, so without us they would not be open in the first place, so as a small business who was supposedly looking to serve EVERYONE in the community, we thought they should be more accommodating.

Of course they have a choice to close on Shabbat, but the point is many residents can only go on weekends when they are around so they are shutting themselves off to those who aren't Jewish, and while they may keep kosher, that is not the main theme of this store. They are a farm-to-table café with healthy organic and gluten-free options, that just so happens to be kosher. They portrayed themselves as being there for the entire community upon opening, not just the Jews that live here. After that whole fiasco, believe me, plenty of people now go elsewhere. Their loss, not ours. They aren't the only farm-to-table place around...

You don't seem to get it.
They WANT you to go elsewhere on Saturdays.
They don't want to stay open on Saturday/Shabbat, but they don't expect you to starve.
Believe me, plenty of kosher places do just fine financially being closed on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: