Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times

Advertisements

well, look at the bright side. At least SAT scores will go higher in nyc schools...

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 12-23-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:40 AM

881 posts, read 614,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All the complaints about the new tax laws with the new lower caps on mortgage deduction and no deductions on local taxes.

One group will benefit big on this will be the Chinese RE buyers, they use cash and no mortgage. Most of them do not have w2 income as they run businesses which will see a tax cut.
ROTFLMAO@ MAGA

BTW, my new landlady is a Chinese immigrant...God bless 'em! Willing to take in some homeless loser with terrible credit and little savings -- and that's without any mention of government money for a year's rent in advance (actually, not sure if I should; maybe they'll look at me differently then!)....

Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
won't the higher standard deduction and lower tax % overall offset that though?
Depends on how much people itemize

But I was under the assumption this change only applies to new home sales the rest of us are grandfathered in

Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Exactly who are you talking about? Offshore investors with no presence in the US besides a corporate shell, or Chinese expats actually living in the US? There is a vast difference.

Quote:
All the complaints about the new tax laws with the new lower caps on mortgage deduction and no deductions on local taxes.

One group will benefit big on this will be the Chinese RE buyers, they use cash and no mortgage. Most of them do not have w2 income as they run businesses which will see a tax cut.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Exactly who are you talking about? Offshore investors with no presence in the US besides a corporate shell, or Chinese expats actually living in the US? There is a vast difference.
The after effects will be buyers that depend on mortgage won't be able to borrow more than the new interest deduction cap. Which will cause home prices to drop by 5-10% in high price areas. For example, I maybe carrying $500k mortgage already but to buy another house I would need to take on another $500k mortgage which would put my over the new limit of $750k mortgage interest deduction cap. $10-30k a year of lost interest deduction hurts a lot to borrowers.

Chinese buyers pay cash, they don't care about mortgage deductions.

You'll see, many Brooklyn's high priced areas that are $1.1mil> will be sold to foreigners.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:20 PM

That's false. They'll just have to be able to show they're able to afford the mortgage without the deduction.

Quote:
The after effects will be buyers that depend on mortgage won't be able to borrow more than the new interest deduction cap. Which will cause home prices to drop by 5-10% in high price areas. For example, I maybe carrying $500k mortgage already but to buy another house I would need to take on another $500k mortgage which would put my over the new limit of $750k mortgage interest deduction cap. $10-30k a year of lost interest deduction hurts a lot to borrowers.

You'll see, many Brooklyn's high priced areas that are $1.1mil> will be sold to foreigners.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,103 times
USA playing checkers, China playing chess

Old 12-23-2017, 01:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
Quote:

Why are multi family properties around sunset park dropping in prices? Also don't many people LLC rental properties anyway? Prices are dropping 5-10% in the suburbs, ie NJ, LI, and Westchester, not NYC because the property tax is relatively low which is especially beneficial to retirees looking to maintain a second home here. For retirees that keep a second home in nice suburbs with 20k property taxes effectively they'll be paying 5-7k more a year vs with deductions. If i were them I'd dump that house faster than Trump would dump an ugly wife.

Overall this tax cut doesn't hurt NYC much due to the relatively lower property taxes. Initially I thought I was gonna pay more, but with the marriage penalty gone and the new 2k child tax credit and my sub 10k property taxes it looks like I'll be getting a tax cut after all. Sucks for those in nice suburbs. They'll be stuck footing more of the bill in order for their retired public servants to drive Bmw and Benz in Florida. Vroom vroom for the suckas in the burbs.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-23-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Well, it's true that LLC won't take a hit or would actually benefit from the tax cut. A lot of private home owners that are just mom&pop landlords would likely stay off the market if they run the calculator.

I ran the calc and my own LLC would get a boost.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:06 PM

All you're thinking about is property taxes. I think NYS/C will also start getting huge push back on the exorbitant income taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post

Overall this tax cut doesn't hurt NYC much due to the relatively lower property taxes. Initially I thought I was gonna pay more, but with the marriage penalty gone and the new 2k child tax credit and my sub 10k property taxes it looks like I'll be getting a tax cut after all. Sucks for those in nice suburbs. They'll be stuck footing more of the bill in order for their retired public servants to drive Bmw and Benz in Florida. Vroom vroom for the suckas in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: