Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man you pretty much can't touch north of Hillside Avenue for under a million bucks, thats how I feel

Like to get something real nice, no way
Just gotta cross over the East River into the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
The best bang for your buck is always the place that is under the radar.

Stay away from many of the Queens nabes as they are shark infested with realtors.
I wish it was open season or Realtors . Bunch of animals. L.O.L.....................joke..... folks...... don't get your hairs up in a tizzy..

You say you use Zillow right?

Look at the zillow graph ( price of this home ) to see if it is spiking upwards. If so run. It's becoming a hot spot.
That's where you get the life sucked out of your pockets.

Hit the nabes where the graph line flat lines or begins to dip. Your best bet on a fair price.

Good Luck..

Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Been a bit since I posted this thread last December....thought it'd be interesting to revive it.

Some things that have changed -

-It'll definitely be a co-op.
-I've nailed down neighborhood. Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst border. Thinking high 80s around Northern Blvd. There are a few co-op complexes I like that have the amenities I want along with prices in line with my budget.
-Total budget is $300k for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath (although some buildings have 1.5 bath). 3 bedrooms are out of my reach at this time. I've seen quite a few apartments in this area at this price. I have to be able to live with the kitchen and bath for at least a few years. All I can really afford to do before moving in is flooring (replace carpets if required or refinish floors if wood), and a paint job. Maybe a bathroom vanity lol.
-I'll likely be buying by the end of this year/early next. Earliest would probably be October, latest would be March. I'll be 40 in March so happy birthday to me.
-Maintenance/mortgage will likely be comparable to what I pay in rent now, except it'll include electric, an extra bedroom, laundry in building, and I'll be an owner, so building equity and getting some (although not as many as used to be) tax breaks. Win win win win.

For a while I was seriously considering the 2 family, and had found a few properties that I could juuuuust make the numbers work. But when it came down to it, I really have no interesting in maintaining a house, nor do I have the reserve funds to be a landlord. So I decided/realized that was out.

Thanks for everyone's input on neighborhoods. I'd still have loved to be able to stay in Astoria but I'm priced out. Acropolis Gardens on Ditmars b/w 33rd & 35th has good prices and nicely sized rooms BUT it's an old building, a walk up, no garages in the building or nearby, and has awful awful reviews. Plus their maintenance seems high for the amenities offered. But I went and walked around JH/EE a few times and love the area. I like the vibrancy along 37th Ave, 82nd St, and Northern, and the quieter side streets. I'm about the same distance to the 7 train as I am to the N/W now, or I can take the bus to the 74th St station and just grab the E which will leave me a block from my office (both current and new space we are moving to in Dec, which will be 3 stops closer).

Good that you don't have school considerations, which makes the decision much easier.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
so Liz, Acropolis towers is questionable with their high maintenance charge, them buildings look ugly, sorry fading white. Upper Ditmars is a quiet neighborhood, Q69 Q101 is nearby.

As for JH, west of 82 nd street is better. Although there are buildings right on Northern, I was told from a realtor that they ask alot of questions , and are strict to approve. 69 to 82 street, between Northern and Roosevelt Ave is a better choice and part of a Historic District.

There is also Boulevard Gardens. North of Northern Blvd, 31st Ave and the 50s. It is a nice community of co ops with a park like setting. 2-3 blocks to the subway. I have visited friends there, many owner occupied tenants.

Good Luck in your search.
Acropolis is just run down and gross. And they want a lot more in maintenance for a lot less than much nicer buildings in EE/JH. Liking a neighborhood isn't enough of a consideration in this case to make that trade off.

I looked at a few places in Blvd Gardens online and while they're nice, and the maintenance is reasonable, they're out of my range right now, unless I went for a 1 bedroom which is not on the radar.

My target area is 85th-95th, between like 35th Ave and 32nd Ave. The building boards are a little stricter but that's fine by me, I have the right answers. If I'm taking out a mortgage for a few hundred grand, I don't mind them being strict and vetting. Historic District is beautiful but out of range.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
There's literally not a scenario in the world that would make me go hmmm I should consider moving back to TN! Now, if something happened where choice was off the table, that's a different situation. But no. I'm good. I did my time. It was a nice place to grow up but I've grown into a different person and don't want to live around all of those close minded people.
Funny enough, nearly all have hauled ass out to the burbs. I love TN, and NYC, but can’t see myself living there again. I get my daily dose at work.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:35 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The best bang for your buck is always the place that is under the radar.

Stay away from many of the Queens nabes as they are shark infested with realtors.
I wish it was open season or Realtors . Bunch of animals. L.O.L.....................joke..... folks...... don't get your hairs up in a tizzy..

You say you use Zillow right?

Look at the zillow graph ( price of this home ) to see if it is spiking upwards. If so run. It's becoming a hot spot.
That's where you get the life sucked out of your pockets.

Hit the nabes where the graph line flat lines or begins to dip. Your best bet on a fair price.

Good Luck..
It is a fine balance.

You need to see that the trend will eventually go up otherwise you're gonna be hurting on the resale value 10-20 years from now.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Funny enough, nearly all have hauled ass out to the burbs. I love TN, and NYC, but can’t see myself living there again. I get my daily dose at work.
I'd leave NYC if possible but don't want to move to a NYC suburb. If I'm gone I'm gone. So I had to find what works for me to stay here.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Just wanted to come back and update - I am officially in contract on a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath co-op in Jackson Heights. Right in my target area, in one of the co-op complexes I was hoping for. Great price, and now we just gotta get through the board. I'm not particularly worried about that, just a lot of paperwork to put together, most of which I have already. I don't think I'll be able to submit my board package by the Nov meeting, but they may do a one off interview. If not, it'll be a December closing, and after replacing carpets, updating electrical, and painting, I should move in mid-Jan. Woo!

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread, whether it was relevant or not lol.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Congrats, let us know how the move in goes

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City