Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You don't want Corona as a place to call home. 3 br co ops cost too much, and there is always the maintenance fees.

Better off finding a 3 family in East Elmhurst, and renting out the other 2 apartmanents. You can live in the ground level unit ,with the garage and yard for yourself.looking at about $1.2 m for a good home.

You could go to Jamaica, but it's a 2 fare zone. Dependant on where you work in the city , it might work for you.
I like the idea of a multi-family in East Elmhurst, but just don't think I'll be able to qualify for that mortgage on my own. Unless I convince my mom to go in on it with me lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I like the idea of a multi-family in East Elmhurst, but just don't think I'll be able to qualify for that mortgage on my own. Unless I convince my mom to go in on it with me lol.
If you enjoy hearing planes landing every 40 secs East Elmhurst right by LGA airport

Old 12-27-2017, 12:51 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
If you enjoy hearing planes landing every 40 secs East Elmhurst right by LGA airport
LOL, I'm already in the flight path. Plus where I grew up in the Bronx was also in the flight path. Doesn't really bother me. I dated a guy for a few years who lived really close to Terminal A, and it wasn't any louder at his place than at mine.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
East Elmhurst is far from the train.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks - I always lump Sunnyside in with Woodside. FH seems even pricier. I have to look into Forest Park and Middle Village (I think the housing stock isn't quite what I'm looking for in MV but am familiar with the area). College Point, Glendale and Whitestone are all a little too suburban for my liking. Plus I don't think they have particularly great subway access. Doesn't have to be amazing, but I'd like it to exist haha.
Glendale is mostly attached 2 family homes, so kind of tight for the suburbs. Closer to the Ridgewood border you have access to subway. Closer to Forest Hills you have access to the new Woodhaven SBS.

Also take a look at Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, and Ozone Park.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Glendale is mostly attached 2 family homes, so kind of tight for the suburbs. Closer to the Ridgewood border you have access to subway. Closer to Forest Hills you have access to the new Woodhaven SBS.

Also take a look at Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, and Ozone Park.
Woodhaven? Dirty neighborhood. And hasn't Richmond Hill and Ozone Park gone downhill too?

Old 12-27-2017, 01:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Briarwood is pretty urban and has the E and F train, I would live there.

Check out the neighborhood for yourself, though

Old 12-27-2017, 01:52 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Not sure on budget or amenities yet....starting with a much broader sense. This won't happen for more than a year, just looking ahead to see what I can get in a neighborhood I'd like.

Need a train but not too worried about which one, all of the Queens trains provide good access into the city. My office is moving twice in the next 18 months, so as long as I can get to midtown, I'm good.
Well I can't really give you advice on what neighborhoods unless you have a budget. Any Queens neighborhood that is a 1 seat subway commute to Midtown will be on the higher priced end for a 3 bedroom anything, generally. If the asking price is too low to believe, then usually something is wrong.

Try looking near the end of the F line in Queens, you may find something but I'm not guaranteeing it. I'm suggesting it because I feel it may be a part of Queens you don't know a lot about (northern border of Jamaica, southern border of Jamaica Estates).

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2017, 02:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
?

I saw a 3 bed 2 bath co-op in Briarwood for $269k that was utterly gorgeous, a bit of a walk to the subway, and the maintenance was very high, but I don't know anything about the neighborhood really. Just that it's kind of an extension of FH and KG.

I've also seen multiple SFH in Jamaica for mid-$300, that are also 3 bed 2 bath. Is Jamaica a block by block sort of neighborhood?
A good friend of mine lives in Briarwood. It lacks stores, except for Queens blvd. The transit is good. You might want to look on the South side of Queens blvd at Kew Gardens. It has more amenities as it can tap from both Queens Blvd and from Metropolitan Avenue.

I don't know Jamaica. it's vast. My understanding is the better parts are a bit of a hike.

Forest Hills is an excellent area but I doubt you can find a 3 bedroom in that area at that price point. Ridgewood, College Point, Middle Village, Glendale, Whitestone do not have many coop/condos as they are more low density walk ups or private houses.

There are a lot of apartment buildings in both Sunnyside and Woodside, and other than being a tourist, I don't know the areas. They have restaurants which is always something I care about.

Regarding maintenance: try to think about it like this. What would you pay for outside of our mortgage if you owned a home?
  • Water
  • Gas
  • Roof repairs, boiler repairs, window repairs, gutters
  • Landscaping
  • Plumbing
  • Other
  • Taxes

In a coop, most if not all of that is included. Do the math and figure out how much you would pay in a house which of course would never go away. Also keep in mind that someone else does the work and you don't have that headache. Maybe now the numbers might make more sense. Do they?

If you go for a 3 family house and rent out, then you become a landlord. Do you want to do that?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Woodhaven? Dirty neighborhood. And hasn't Richmond Hill and Ozone Park gone downhill too?
All three of these areas have good and bad sections, but at least the bad sections aren't ghetto, but more so old working class areas that just happen to turn more brown over the years. Still they are not ghetto, have access to subways lines, and are affordable per NYC standards. Plus this is NYC, if you can't deal with a little grime, this ain't the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City