Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
But hey at least people are trying to turn it into a brickstone neighborhood and if history repeats itself transplants in the future would pay millions for those stone facade homes. Just take a look at the Audi and the former concrete turned lawn. Too bad the guy ran out of money 3 feet of the way in.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6905...7i13312!8i6656
That house is hideous. There is no curb appeal to having your house not blend with prevailing architecture. There are right ways to do this and wrong ways. This is the wrong way. I’ve seen this done on entire blocks in Astoria too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:41 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That house is hideous. There is no curb appeal to having your house not blend with prevailing architecture. There are right ways to do this and wrong ways. This is the wrong way. I’ve seen this done on entire blocks in Astoria too.
I know it's the same zig-zag mismatched homes in Astoria too, but everything is more well maintained there because many of the landlords are now house rich. I think the issue is that many people don't like the vinyl siding row house look. Not matter what you do to it, it still looks cheap. So what choices are you left with if you want to upgrade the look of your house a bit.

As for curb appeal I don't think people buy in most of NYC for curb appeal and if they do it's news to me because at least 80-90% of homes have zero curb appeal less concrete lawns are the new thing. Real Estate in the outer boroughs for the most part just boils down to costs and how much you can rent out the basement for.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
I know it's the same zig-zag mismatched homes in Astoria too, but everything is more well maintained there because many of the landlords are now house rich. I think the issue is that many people don't like the vinyl siding row house look. Not matter what you do to it, it still looks cheap. So what choices are you left with if you want to upgrade the look of your house a bit.

As for curb appeal I don't think people buy in most of NYC for curb appeal and if they do it's news to me because at least 80-90% of homes have zero curb appeal less concrete lawns are the new thing. Real Estate in the outer boroughs for the most part just boils down to costs and how much you can rent out the basement for.
I would disagree with that. There are several neighborhoods in the outerboroughs with plenty of curb appeal and that are very leafy, where the houses sit back from the street with actual lawns. I know because I live in one of them... Forest Hills Gardens, parts of Riverdale and especially Fieldston, parts of Whitestone and Malba, Douglaston and Little Neck all come to mind.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 12-28-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 09:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would disagree with that. There are several neighborhoods in the outerboroughs with plenty of curb appeal and that is very leafy, where the houses sit back from the street with actual lawns. I know because I live in one of them... Forest Hills Gardens, parts of Riverdale and especially Fieldston, parts of Whitestone and Malba, Douglaston and Little Neck all come to mind.
Those are part of the 10-20%. I live in Northeast Queen too and pay like $150 a month just to maintain my lawn so I'd know.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Those are part of the 10-20%. I live in Northeast Queen too and pay like $150 a month just to maintain my lawn so I'd know.
So then what are you talking about? I mean the upscale areas have always been upscale (I think the percentage is higher than 10-20%) and the sort of working class areas are what they are. I too hate the neighborhoods with those houses with that cheap siding and I'm glad I don't live in such a neighborhood. What you're talking about is an issue of money. Someone in a working class neighborhood is barely able to pay the mortgage let alone pay some guy to cut his grass. I live on a block with lots of trees and lawns and it seems like a lot of the areas I frequent are similar in nature... Brooklyn Heights, Dyker Heights, Manhattan Beach, Neponsit... Heck even parts of the Upper East and Upper West are very leafy or have great curb appeal.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:10 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
These new style homes , some call modern, some call mini mcmansion. Does not match architecture from 80 years ago, but is the new look with new material, based off of a tacky model.

As for the op, you need to stake out the neighborhood you are after, cross your fingers, get a co signer, have enough bank for down payment, and extra bank for expenses that can/will pop up. You can end up living virtually rent free, but have to have a careful plan.

I been in Queens most all of my life. When I see new immagrant cab drivers making it happen, with a family of 6, I question what am I doing wrong.

There are some nice co ops, I know of some , near hillside Ave and Springfield Blvd, Queens village borderline basically. You can get a "co op house" with manicured lawns, 45 minutes to an hour from midtown on public transport.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times
Man, you guys really love to debate haha.

This is all helpful info. Like I said, this is all new and just starting to think about it, so I'll take all of the advice into account.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Man, you guys really love to debate haha.

This is all helpful info. Like I said, this is all new and just starting to think about it, so I'll take all of the advice into account.
If I were you I would look in Astoria (you're already renting there and seem to like it) so you can walk around and really see what things are like from block to block. I do that now where I live. I know every co-op and every condo and all of the prices, so when I do get ready to buy I'll know exactly where to look. In my case I am young and in a brand new apartment so there is no rush. I plan on starting to save in 2018.

I have to say though... I see nothing wrong with starting with just a studio or a one bedroom. You get your foot in the door and then you can always re-sell later for an upgrade to a larger place. I don't know what you pay in rent, but being in Astoria I'm sure it is over $1,700 a month, so I would aim to keep it around that or lower. I pay around that and when I own, I would aim to keep housing expenses at or below $2,000 a month. I mean seriously, what are you going to do with all of that extra space in the meantime? You also will have much more cleaning to do...

Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
There are a lot of costs associated with closing on an apartment and selling one as well, so unless price appreciation is ridiculous (and you won't be looking to live in similarly pricey neighborhoods after you sell), you'll want to plan on staying for at least several years usually. That said, I second the idea of aiming for a starter apartment unless you're looking to rent out to roommates initially and enjoy having such. Let's say you hit it off with someone and then start popping babies immediately. You can still make do with a smaller apartment for a good several years while the kids are small anyways.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-28-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times
I live in a large one bedroom and often find it cramped. I would not want to share a one bedroom with another person, much less a child. So I'm not really interested in buying anything less than a 2 bedroom. I know that seems a bit silly, but where ever I buy would have to suffice for at least a few years. And hey, it's my money lol.

I'd love to stay in Astoria but the only co-ops in my part of Astoria are in a walk-up building with no parking. Well priced but not something I'm terribly interested in.

BTW, I'm in my late 30's....so while I'd like to entertain the idea of having a kid....there will be no "popping babies out" lol. Past that stage in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City