U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,921,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Claiming... There is a substantial difference in upkeep in certain parts of Woodhaven south of Jamaica Avenue. People are "claiming" it for good reason. I don't care what the demographics are. If the streets are dirty and they're run down and in need of repaving, that spells an area in decline. Just like parts of Middle Village look much better than Glendale and Glendale has a similar demographic to Middle Village. Run down is run down.
For sub 400k it's a good buy. I won't pay anything much more than that. During the last housing bubble houses like the below were going for 400s and when the bubble burst the area was hit hard (from mid 400s back to mid 200s). Lots of foreclosures because the neighborhood is just working class and they were pumping debt through the roof just to finance those homes. Once values started dropping those underwater were dropping them like hot potatoes. From what I saw most homes in the area had property declines of about 40%+ vs drops of about 15-20% in nicer areas of NYC.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...?fullpage=true
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:23 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,531,285 times
Quote:
Don't even try it. I specifically stated that the area of Woodhaven north of Jamaica Avenue near the park is quite nice and is clean, etc. I wonder how fast you would claim that Woodhaven is so nice if you lived south of Jamaica Avenue where it is quite dirty...

Near Union Turnpike and Main Street is nowhere near Fresh Meadows. I would consider that Kew Gardens Hills. Nevertheless, it's not as if Fresh Meadows is this walkable neighborhood. I'd say it's pretty suburban, so you'll be driving to most places anyway. Kew Gardens and Forest Hills are just a short drive away for more amenities.
I said near because it is an area of town that is not: Fresh meadows, not Kew Garden Hills, not Briarwood, not Podunk. It has no name. And for what it's worth, I do have contempt for pretty much any area that one cannot go grocery shopping on foot. It's the complete antithesis of what a neighborhood is supposed to be... about neighbors (people.) I think every neighborhood should be pedestrian friendly.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 AM

12,239 posts, read 6,922,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
For sub 400k it's a good buy. I won't pay anything much more than that. During the last housing bubble houses like the below were going for 400s and when the bubble burst the area was hit hard (from mid 400s back to mid 200s). Lots of foreclosures because the neighborhood is just working class and they were pumping debt through the roof just to finance those homes. Once values started dropping those underwater were dropping them like hot potatoes. From what I saw most homes in the area had property declines of about 40%+ vs drops of about 15-20% in nicer areas of NYC.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...?fullpage=true
Yeah and there's definitely a difference in the upkeep of the houses in the parts of Woodhaven I mentioned. G-Dale is very Queens centric so he doesn't think the borough has parts where their **** stinks so to speak. It's NYC. All boroughs have their good spots and not so good spots, including Queens. Now in terms of safety, I would say most of Woodhaven is fine, but the parts south of Jamaica Avenue leave a lot to the imagination in terms of cleanliness. I'm also not a fan of those houses with the siding on them, which Woodhaven has a lot of. I find those types of houses cheap looking in general, even when they are well maintained, so you add some trash and cracked up sidewalks, and they instantly look run down and perhaps in worse shape than other homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I said near because it is an area of town that is not: Fresh meadows, not Kew Garden Hills, not Briarwood, not Podunk. It has no name.
Weird... Then how can you claim so definitively that Fresh Meadows lacks this and that and then use an example of an area not even in Fresh Meadows? Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but still.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah and there's definitely a difference in the upkeep of the houses in the parts of Woodhaven I mentioned. G-Dale is very Queens centric so he doesn't think the borough has parts where their **** stinks so to speak. It's NYC. All boroughs have their good spots and not so good spots, including Queens. Now in terms of safety, I would say most of Woodhaven is fine, but the parts south of Jamaica Avenue leave a lot to the imagination in terms of cleanliness. I'm also not a fan of those houses with the siding on them, which Woodhaven has a lot of. I find those types of houses cheap looking in general, even when they are well maintained, so you add some trash and cracked up sidewalks, and they instantly look run down and perhaps in worse shape than other homes.

Weird... Then how can you claim so definitively that Fresh Meadows lacks this and that and then use an example of an area not even in Fresh Meadows? Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but still.
Cuz he grew up there and that's what he calls his ill defined neighborhood. Where do you think we ordered food from? Where do you think we tried to shop?

Does this look like amenity rich? https://www.google.com/maps/search/s...7992784,15.87z

Real Estate people call it Fresh Meadows. https://www.redfin.com/city/30749/NY...996,no-outline

Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Cuz he grew up there and that's what he calls his ill defined neighborhood. Where do you think we ordered food from? Where do you think we tried to shop?

Does this look like amenity rich? https://www.google.com/maps/search/s...7992784,15.87z
That's not the point. We already established that Fresh Meadows lacks amenities. I mean it's a suburban residential area. What would one expect? That said, it's just odd that you would use such an example and then say that his neighborhood didn't have a name when we're talking specifically about Fresh Meadows.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
That's not the point. We already established that Fresh Meadows lacks amenities. I mean it's a suburban residential area. What would one expect? That said, it's just odd that you would use such an example and then say that his neighborhood didn't have a name when we're talking specifically about Fresh Meadows.
Again, Real Estate people call it that, and so do the residents. Just like where I live, is not technically "Parkchester" as in Parkchester Condos. But it isn't West Farms, it isn't Soundview. No one ever heard of Stratton Park, and Park Versailles hasn't been used for decades. It's not the first time area borders are ill defined.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Again, Real Estate people call it that, and so do the residents. Just like where I live, is not technically "Parkchester" as in Parkchester Condos. But it isn't West Farms, it isn't Soundview. No one ever heard of Stratton Park, and Park Versailles hasn't been used for decades. It's not the first time area borders are ill defined.
You added that Fresh Meadows point afterwards. Now it makes sense, but quite frankly, a lot of Northeast Queens is like that, or you have to drive to the amenities.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You added that Fresh Meadows point afterwards. Now it makes sense, but quite frankly, a lot of Northeast Queens is like that, or you have to drive to the amenities.
Which is why I think it sucks. I know that's my opinion... if I wanted to live in the middle of nowhere, I'd do it right and move to the actual country where I can actually walk in the woods and enjoy the wildlife. The middle of the road.... not for me.

I think the worst thing is the suburbs. You have all the downsides of urban life, without the plus sides of it.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Which is why I think it sucks. I know that's my opinion... if I wanted to live in the middle of nowhere, I'd do it right and move to the actual country where I can actually walk in the woods and enjoy the wildlife. The middle of the road.... not for me.
I don't the OP plans on moving anywhere in Northeast Queens. Nevertheless, I think your middle of the road comment isn't all that accurate. Forest Hills always receives rave reviews and the people that live in the exclusive Forest Hills Gardens must certainly feel like they live in a suburb, but they can walk right over to Austin Street and get most of what they need.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I don't the OP plans on moving anywhere in Northeast Queens. Nevertheless, I think your middle of the road comment isn't all that accurate. Forest Hills always receives rave reviews and the people that live in the exclusive Forest Hills Gardens must certainly feel like they live in a suburb, but they can walk right over to Austin Street and get most of what they need.
Forest Hills has the urban amenities unlike MOST suburbs. And while Forest Hills gardens is beautiful (I sang in the church there), I prefer actual Forest Hills on the north side of Queens blvd. (If I desired an actual house.) I don't like "gated" communities real gated or in character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City