Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM

8,911 posts, read 4,703,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Can't be afraid to live life. Something can happen anywhere, just be aware of your surrounding.
I'm not afraid to live life. I just don't like walking alone at that time of night. Alone. Walking. By myself. At 3 am in the morning.
In any neighborhood. Even if it's Flushing or Midtown (my neighborhood).
If I'm with a group, that'll be fine. Or alone but cabbing it (although some of my female friends won't even
cab alone at that time of night).

Yeah, yeah. I know. Stuff happens in broad daylight as well. But you can only have so much control. My personal motto is don't be out alone at 3 am. Walking a great distance.

Last edited by Aeran; 01-10-2018 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 AM

782 posts, read 522,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its all subjective. Some teenage girl got slashed in her face in Bayside in the morning when she was walking to school like 2 years ago. They just caught the people that did it this week. Think about it, suppose somebody asked you if Douglaston was safe. You say, yes, it's safe. And then unfortunately they get robbed. Then they come back to you and say, "hey I thought you told me it was safe!" What would you tell them? My bad? LMAO

What they really mean to ask on here is to gauge their comfort level. We live in a city where anything can happen at any time. Do we have any expertise to predict the frequency of when that happens? Of course not. We are not a safeguard for crime. I honestly don't feel comfortable telling anybody if any place is "safe" or not anymore. Let them check Compstat, or give a call to the precinct and get the cops opinion.

Suppose that one day happens if somebody asks if a neighborhood is safe, and C-D says yes, and they have the bad luck of something happening to them. Forget it, I won't be liable. You live in Kumbaya land if you want to.
Of course it’s subjective. That’s the point of asking questions on a forum! To get opinions. If anyone is relying on the internet for anything (not just safety), then that’s on them. Why are you talking about liability? This is the internet! You are way overthinking this.

You should just shut down this forum. 99% of the comments here are subjective. Why do you even come to this forum anyway? I personally like hearing real-life experiences. If I just wanted data, I would look up resources like the census, crime stats, etc.

Last edited by MC305; 01-11-2018 at 04:18 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,738,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
3x? Last time I got robbed anywhere was in the 1990s and trust me it was no Park Slope, ex-hubs was doing something wrong outside
The most juicy places to rob people are places that young, naive hipsters move because of their lack of street smarts. (he is more of a burly blue-collar guy, but genetically he looked soft. It's funny how people mess with you based on perception.) At the time, Park Slope was surrounded by some pretty sketchy neighborhoods, within walking distance. In fact, when I lived there, in the early 2000s, going below 5th avenue was uncomfortable. (It was not gentrified above 9th street, past Flatbush Avenue, or below 4th ave.) I was forbidden from walking near the Park after dark when coming off the train at Grand Army Plaza. (My ex was very controlling and those are the spots he got held up.)

Old 01-11-2018, 06:10 AM

33,436 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Why do you even come to this forum anyway? I personally like hearing real-life experiences. If I just wanted data, I would look up resources like the census, crime stats, etc.
Umm the name of this very website is City-Data

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,570,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The most juicy places to rob people are places that young, naive hipsters move because of their lack of street smarts. (he is more of a burly blue-collar guy, but genetically he looked soft. It's funny how people mess with you based on perception.) At the time, Park Slope was surrounded by some pretty sketchy neighborhoods, within walking distance. In fact, when I lived there, in the early 2000s, going below 5th avenue was uncomfortable. (It was not gentrified above 9th street, past Flatbush Avenue, or below 4th ave.) I was forbidden from walking near the Park after dark when coming off the train at Grand Army Plaza. (My ex was very controlling and those are the spots he got held up.)
I remember Park Slope then, it's not that long ago!
I worked near there, and the other side of Flatbush Avenue (Prospect Heights) was considered a bit "sketchy".

When all the condos went up on 4th Avenue I remember thinking "No one will want to live there", haha.

And I remember 7th Avenue was totally gentrified, but 5th Avenue was more old school with small local stores and a bit gritty as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
3x is still quite unfortunate

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I remember Park Slope then, it's not that long ago!
I worked near there, and the other side of Flatbush Avenue (Prospect Heights) was considered a bit "sketchy".

When all the condos went up on 4th Avenue I remember thinking "No one will want to live there", haha.

And I remember 7th Avenue was totally gentrified, but 5th Avenue was more old school with small local stores and a bit gritty as well.
Yes, I remember when even on Smith Street below Bergen was a little rough in the early 2000s.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 AM

8,218 posts, read 4,281,161 times
For me the appeal of Parkchester (in addition to reason #1 being near Manhattan and #2 being cheap) is in the fact that it recreates architectural surroundings from my childhood, early 1960s, a tidily organized inexpensive towering urban neighborhood of working people (and playing children, in my time) - BUT, in my time and place, such tidily organized inexpensive towering urban neighborhoods of working people (not upper class of course, not even upper middle class, but low-middle to solidly middle class) were completely, 100% crime free. It would have never occurred to anyone to associate such a neighborhood with crime (as it would not have occurred to anyone to associate public schools with crime or educational failure, or teenagers with pregnancy). I don't really see why this pattern of normality (as I defined it above) should not be re-established in neighborhoods with people of various races/ethnicities, why would it be a permanent situation that you have crime and misery just because you have non-white people living there. Parkchester could lead, and is leading, the way in this re-establishment of normality in the Bronx. In fact, I don't understand why non-white people are not the first ones interested in improving life in their neighborhoods. Why would you need gentrifiers and real estate speculators to improve the neighborhood, rather than simply the people who already live there? Acting civil and non-criminal costs no money at all. Parkchesterites have shown every intention to do that, to make the neighborhood completely livable, while preventing housing price inflation (as we have seen with the recent Parkchester South success in blocking a large increase in monthly condo dues, as well as the evidence of extremely slow increase in condo prices over the past 10 years. Parkchester Condo associations did raise the rents after "updating" a number of units - something that I personally do not favor, either the "updating" or the consequent increased rents, but I guess younger people are asking for that - but even the raised rents are still a bargain for NYC). Anyway, I think zero crime in low-middle to middle class neighborhoods (enriched by young scholars and professionals, or retirees, whose income equals that of low-middle class - what do you think a surgeon makes during the 7 years of residency training after med school? I'll tell you what he/she makes: between $45,000 and $75,000) is an attainable goal, while the said neighborhoods still stay affordable to the said population. If anything, Parkchester has only shown evidence so far of being well along the way on that path. Yes Roseba, the crime in the area has been reduced dramatically - but I want it to be zero.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,738,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
For me the appeal of Parkchester (in addition to reason #1 being near Manhattan and #2 being cheap) is in the fact that it recreates architectural surroundings from my childhood, early 1960s, a tidily organized inexpensive towering urban neighborhood of working people (and playing children, in my time) - BUT, in my time and place, such tidily organized inexpensive towering urban neighborhoods of working people (not upper class of course, not even upper middle class, but low-middle to solidly middle class) were completely, 100% crime free. It would have never occurred to anyone to associate such a neighborhood with crime (as it would not have occurred to anyone to associate public schools with crime or educational failure, or teenagers with pregnancy). I don't really see why this pattern of normality (as I defined it above) should not be re-established in neighborhoods with people of various races/ethnicities, why would it be a permanent situation that you have crime and misery just because you have non-white people living there. Parkchester could lead, and is leading, the way in this re-establishment of normality in the Bronx. In fact, I don't understand why non-white people are not the first ones interested in improving life in their neighborhoods. Why would you need gentrifiers and real estate speculators to improve the neighborhood, rather than simply the people who already live there? Acting civil and non-criminal costs no money at all. Parkchesterites have shown every intention to do that, to make the neighborhood completely livable, while preventing housing price inflation (as we have seen with the recent Parkchester South success in blocking a large increase in monthly condo dues, as well as the evidence of extremely slow increase in condo prices over the past 10 years. Parkchester Condo associations did raise the rents after "updating" a number of units - something that I personally do not favor, either the "updating" or the consequent increased rents, but I guess younger people are asking for that - but even the raised rents are still a bargain for NYC). Anyway, I think zero crime in low-middle to middle class neighborhoods (enriched by young scholars and professionals, or retirees, whose income equals that of low-middle class - what do you think a surgeon makes during the 7 years of residency training after med school? I'll tell you what he/she makes: between $45,000 and $75,000) is an attainable goal, while the said neighborhoods still stay affordable to the said population. If anything, Parkchester has only shown evidence so far of being well along the way on that path. Yes Roseba, the crime in the area has been reduced dramatically - but I want it to be zero.
1. Your posts here, are the living embodiment of negative advertising. A few people told you that based on what you have written, they WOULD NOT look to live there.
2. You speaking about things authoritatively when you don't actually live in the area. It is not the bedlam you portray, not even a little bit.
3. The crime of which you speak is average for New York City... meaning there is no significant difference between the Crime in Parkchester vs. the crime in "better" neigbhorhoods. I work in the Financial district. In the past year, there has been shoot-outs and people murdering people by mowing them down in a car. And you don't get more uppety than Battery Park City. The crime rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher here in FiDi. Noone however, views FiDi as unsafe.
4. You should really examine your assumptions about people. Your constant concern about what other people are doing, or not doing... how other people live their lives, and your judgement about their incorrectness is a form of racism. It's blatant.

People reading... this person is scaring you with phantom fears and doesn't live in the area. (I'm not sure she actually ever lived in it, so she is not an authority.) Don't listen to ill informed ideas.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM

25,346 posts, read 36,876,959 times
Where was the "acid in the face" yesterday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City