Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,857,067 times

Advertisements

List your experiences

Being Black and not being able to catch a cab. Is that still a thing? Especially now that Uber has reigned

Old 12-29-2017, 07:02 PM

33,911 posts, read 47,172,149 times
Ppl still take cabs?

But to be honest with you, I've never had a problem catching yellow cabs in Manhattan, the times that I did hail one. And they always dropped me wherever I wanted to go, no matter how rough the destination was.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2017, 07:23 PM

252 posts, read 306,384 times
I've had a cop call me "uneducated" on the premises that my dog was a bit over zealous getting home. We had just gotten back from a walk and my dog always rushes to our door. Cops happened to be on our floor patrolling and in our corridor. He pulled me slightly brushing past one of them and I got called uneducated and that he was tired of "these project people"

Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,948,959 times
Cops are bad all over. On the other hand if you have cops patrolling the corridors of your building maybe they are doing some good as well. When I lived in the projects as a kid it was every man for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful01 View Post
I've had a cop call me "uneducated" on the premises that my dog was a bit over zealous getting home. We had just gotten back from a walk and my dog always rushes to our door. Cops happened to be on our floor patrolling and in our corridor. He pulled me slightly brushing past one of them and I got called uneducated and that he was tired of "these project people"

Old 12-29-2017, 08:00 PM

593 posts, read 469,322 times
My recommendation: stop obsessing about your race and start working your arse off to improve your skills and be more marketable. You might be amazed at the results when you don't have excuses and cop-outs to fall back on.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,613,083 times
I had to deal with some profiling in east Harlem. Undercover cops were checking id's in one of the subways. Pretty much were running checks for warrants. Every man that they stopped was a black male. I saw it happen at least 3 times. The fourth time happened with me. Caused me to be 30 minutes late to work. I was dressed in slacks, white shirt and tie.

Cop asked me what i did. I told him I was a manager for the school system. He replies, "You are a manager?" Wow.

Every one of the police officers were LATINO. Would say probably Dominican. Slight chance the could have been Puerto Rican.

Put a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't trust any of them.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,252,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I had to deal with some profiling in east Harlem. Undercover cops were checking id's in one of the subways. Pretty much were running checks for warrants. Every man that they stopped was a black male. I saw it happen at least 3 times. The fourth time happened with me. Caused me to be 30 minutes late to work. I was dressed in slacks, white shirt and tie.

Cop asked me what i did. I told him I was a manager for the school system. He replies, "You are a manager?" Wow.

Every one of the police officers were LATINO. Would say probably Dominican. Slight chance the could have been Puerto Rican.

Put a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't trust any of them.
A lot of the racial profiling is now done by minorities since a lot of the cops are now minorities. The City thought that by hiring black and brown cops that NYPD cops could no longer be racist. A cop is a cop. I have interacted with cops of color and some of them harbor the same feelings of disgust and distrust as other NYPD officers would because their thinking is everyone in the hood must be a thug or a criminal. They leave the hood when they are done and develop the same stereotypes as previous good did. It's institutionalized racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City