Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:14 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't know.
The newcomers call it Ditmas Park.

The oldtimers there who are Jewish also call it Flatbush.
In fact, for Jewish Brooklynites: Flatbush runs all the way from Cortelyou down to Kings Highway!
I'm not Jewish or even a resident of that area and I call it Flatbush, it has a better ring to it.

What about the black residents? I'm guessing most of them call it Flatbush. I would also guess that most of them refer to Prospect-Lefferts Gardens as Flatbush as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've seen the high school students of James Madison and there were many Asians and Latinos
High schools aren't zoned and mostly don't reflect the demographics of the area especially if it's considered to be better. E.g Flushing high school is majority Latino, high schools in Northeast Queens have demographics that don't reflect the area which is basically half Asian and half white.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Windsor Terrace was a nice neighborhood well before Park Slope turned around, so the idea that people living in Windsor Terrace do so as a consultation prize is absurd. It has always been a stable, good neighorhood, and that "park" that you sarcastically bring up is the best in Brooklyn.
Who you kidding. That more recent flow of money into Windsor Terrace wasn't there prior to Park Slope exploding in value. It was a result of it.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
High schools aren't zoned and mostly don't reflect the demographics of the area especially if it's considered to be better. E.g Flushing high school is majority Latino, high schools in Northeast Queens have demographics that don't reflect the area which is basically half Asian and half white.
But Midwood does have many Asians and Latinos.

Northeast Queens isn't all white and Asian anyway, College Point is 25% Latino. Bayside is about 10% Latino IIRC.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
I ate at a Thai restaurant on Fort Hamilton Parkway, it seemed like there was some retail there too
Windsor Terrace has basically two parts - it is cut in half by Ocean Parkway/Prospect Expressway, which is a highway in that area. There are some pedestrian bridges crossing the highway, but it is really two parts of the neighborhood.

The part of Windsor Terrace east of Ocean Parkway/Prospect Expressway, especially the southern part, is not near the Prospect Park West shopping strip of the neighborhood (it's a nice shopping area, by the way, very cute, with lots of restaurants and independent stores, although not much in terms of a grocery store, which is a problem. It goes down to directly hit Prospect Park at Bartel Pritchard Square. There's a - to be restored - movie theater there, and a farmer's market in the warmer months.).

However, there is a much smaller shopping strip on the very southern edge of Windsor Terrace, on Fort Hamilton Parkway, where you were.

There are just the basics there: a couple of bodegas, a couple of pizza places, a fast food Chinese restaurant, a Thai place, an Israeli restaurant, a couple of beauty salons, and two coffee shops (!), which I suppose is a must for every gentrified neighborhood!

There is also the Windsor Terrace branch of the Brooklyn public library on Fort Hamilton Parkway, as well as a yoga studio, an animal shelter/pet store, and a gas station with a "Bolla Market", where you can also pick up stuff like milk, coffee, soda, chips, sandwiches, salads, etc.

I think the people who live in this southern-most part of Windsor Terrace also go to Church Avenue in Kensington for shopping and necessities, since there's a Walgreen's, Rite Aid, numerous 99 cent stores, etc. there. There's also a Food Town supermarket (overpriced but useful I suppose) just beyond Fort Hamilton Parkway on McDonald Avenue that is convenient for people in that part of Windsor Terrace to shop in.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I think he's probably thinking about 8th ave areas and southern brooklyn as in bensonhurst. Other than those areas much of southern brooklyn schools aren't majority asian.
Bensonhurst is very Asian but also has Eastern Europeans as well. Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Gravesend, Brighton Beach...all very Eastern European.

Even Bay Ridge has lots of Russians now!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The place that I lived at windor terrace was owned by a friend. Their family purchased the multifamily home for about 100k in the late 90s. Maybe the price reflected the fact that it was working class. My friend's family certainly isn't white collar. I was told that the property was quite run down when they purchased it. Not sure if that was true for other properties in the area as well.
Exactly.
This is a typical story. Blue collar Irish families bought those houses. Many have passed them down to their children now.
Others have sold them, for quite a profit, to hipster/gentrifiers in recent years.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I've seen the high school students of James Madison and there were many Asians and Latinos
The high schools of course are not zoned.

And James Madison and Midwood High School are for sure among the most diverse in the city, no one group predominates

Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
But Midwood does have many Asians and Latinos.

Northeast Queens isn't all white and Asian anyway, College Point is 25% Latino
College point isn't Northeast Queens. I should be more specific and say district 26, then basically around Clearview and going East and North of grand central.

And Fushing high school is like close to 80% black and latino and doesn't resemble the demographics of the immediate area.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Windsor Terrace has basically two parts - it is cut in half by Ocean Parkway/Prospect Expressway, which is a highway in that area. There are some pedestrian bridges crossing the highway, but it is really two parts of the neighborhood.

The part of Windsor Terrace east of Ocean Parkway/Prospect Expressway, especially the southern part, is not near the Prospect Park West shopping strip of the neighborhood (it's a nice shopping area, by the way, very cute, with lots of restaurants and independent stores, although not much in terms of a grocery store, which is a problem. It goes down to directly hit Prospect Park at Bartel Pritchard Square. There's a - to be restored - movie theater there, and a farmer's market in the warmer months.).

However, there is a much smaller shopping strip on the very southern edge of Windsor Terrace, on Fort Hamilton Parkway, where you were.

There are just the basics there: a couple of bodegas, a couple of pizza places, a fast food Chinese restaurant, a Thai place, an Israeli restaurant, a couple of beauty salons, and two coffee shops (!), which I suppose is a must for every gentrified neighborhood!

There is also the Windsor Terrace branch of the Brooklyn public library on Fort Hamilton Parkway, as well as a yoga studio, an animal shelter/pet store, and a gas station with a "Bolla Market", where you can also pick up stuff like milk, coffee, soda, chips, sandwiches, salads, etc.

I think the people who live in this southern-most part of Windsor Terrace also go to Church Avenue in Kensington for shopping and necessities, since there's a Walgreen's, Rite Aid, numerous 99 cent stores, etc. there. There's also a Food Town supermarket (overpriced but useful I suppose) just beyond Fort Hamilton Parkway on McDonald Avenue that is convenient for people in that part of Windsor Terrace to shop in.
The things you listed certainly exceed "the basics".

I stay at Ocean Parkway and I go to that Foodtown too. I think it's fine, as well as those 24 hour grocery stores on Church Avenue too. This is why I love Brooklyn so much. You want to buy Polish cookies at 3 in the morning? Well you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City