Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful01 View Post
I'm applying for jobs in a different field starting today. I can't just stick it out when I do not like what I do. I'm a person that thrives more when I'm in an environment that that makes me happy. Schools are not it anymore. I have saved enough to get by for a few months and I'm sure I'll pull something by then
How unusual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 11:17 AM

252 posts, read 306,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You've gotten good advice here. I would just add to avoid putting yourself down in your resignation letter, or even saying you have come to realize that teaching isn't for you. I would just thank them for the opportunity, and say you've decided to go in a different direction career wise. I'm sure this won't be a shock to your supervisors, who have probably seen plenty of others before you reach a similar conclusion.
Yes, I get putting it out there that teaching isn't for me but people have been asking me about what am I going to take up to further myself in education and if I want to become a lead there after I'm certified. I kind of go along with it and smile as my poker face but deep down I'm screaming "GET ME OUTTA HERE !!! " I guess I'm more so on the side of people questioning me as why I'm leaving if I said I was staying and what not. I know I shouldn't care and I wouldn't but these are actually pretty good people to work with.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:46 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,693 times
Macnyc is right, as usual. You don't owe them any personal explanation, and the less said, the better, for everyone, the school included. Graciously thank them for the opportunity they provided, and that you've learned blah, blah, and blah, but that you've decided to take your career in a different direction. Period. That's all you say. End of story. Got it? You might offer your help in training the new assistant, but that's only if you feel like doing that. If you liked some of your colleagues, exchange contact information with them, and stay in touch. That's it. You'd be surprised how the statements you make in a situation like this could come back to hurt you later. Maybe you'd like a job in education administration, where you wouldn't be in direct contact with kids all day but still have a foot in the field, at some point. Saying too much could close your options later. Ok?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:05 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
I'm a new teaching assistant and this school was my last hope at pursuing a career in education. I have come to realize I am no longer a person that can be around kids for extended periods of time. I have no issue with the staff, pay is ok but it's the kids part I can't do anymore. Now rather than stick it out and stay in my field and become one of those miserable teachers I'm sure many of us have come across, I have decided to save my own sanity and quit. Now, keep in mind I do not want to offend and I just started this job 2 months ago. What are some options I can go about submitting my notice?
So you did a 4 year degree in Education only to discover that you don't like being around kids??? How much in student loans do you have? Do you work full time as a teaching assistant? What are the kids age? What is it that you are not liking exactly? I read your post but you don't go in detail.

I worked summers when i was a teen (17 to 18) at the West Side YMCA as a camp youth counselor and it was pretty fun working with kids.

Unless you have a safety net (ie: emergency funds) or a partner or family that can hold you down until you find a new job you should wait until you find something. I know a lot of posters gave you the advice of quitting but you should never quit a job until you have another lined up unless you are in a life or death situation at work. If you can't handle kids how on earth are you going to handle working with adults. Are you under the impression that adults are better??? LOL..

You shouldn't have kids if you feel this way. "I have come to realize I am no longer a person that can be around kids for extended periods of time." I appreciate the honesty though as i feel there are a lot of people that have kids but feel the way that you do.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Bless you for not becoming a misserable teacher. Explain to your boss how you feel. Dont burn any bridges, you never know when you will need those connections.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
So you did a 4 year degree in Education only to discover that you don't like being around kids??? How much in student loans do you have? Do you work full time as a teaching assistant? What are the kids age? What is it that you are not liking exactly? I read your post but you don't go in detail.

I worked summers when i was a teen (17 to 18) at the West Side YMCA as a camp youth counselor and it was pretty fun working with kids.

Unless you have a safety net (ie: emergency funds) or a partner or family that can hold you down until you find a new job you should wait until you find something. I know a lot of posters gave you the advice of quitting but you should never quit a job until you have another lined up unless you are in a life or death situation at work. If you can't handle kids how on earth are you going to handle working with adults. Are you under the impression that adults are better??? LOL..

You shouldn't have kids if you feel this way. "I have come to realize I am no longer a person that can be around kids for extended periods of time." I appreciate the honesty though as i feel there are a lot of people that have kids but feel the way that you do.
Yup I did a 4 year education degree at a CUNY so I have accumulated under $2000 of debt. Every school is different, so you don't know how kids are in there until you start working there. The kids are young K-3rd which is that age of still "being a baby to developing their own personalities which unfortunately comes with attitudes due to the lack of care of their parents". I've worked with high school kids, they're cool so I get why you had "fun" with that age group but remember you worked at a summer camp. Your whole job was to make a fun, safe environment with little learning/curricula to implement. And if you read before, I have emergency funds to keep me afloat until I find another job which isn't hard for me honestly due to my broad background not including education. Majority of adults are completely rational at least at work due to them needing a payday. And having children of your own and working with children: not the same.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Bless you for not becoming a misserable teacher. Explain to your boss how you feel. Dont burn any bridges, you never know when you will need those connections.

Good luck!
Thank you. You have no idea how many teachers truly dislike children. You should hear how they speak about them during breaks and the teacher's lounge.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Yup I did a 4 year education degree at a CUNY so I have accumulated under $2000 of debt. Every school is different, so you don't know how kids are in there until you start working there. The kids are young K-3rd which is that age of still "being a baby to developing their own personalities which unfortunately comes with attitudes due to the lack of care of their parents". I've worked with high school kids, they're cool so I get why you had "fun" with that age group but remember you worked at a summer camp. Your whole job was to make a fun, safe environment with little learning/curricula to implement. And if you read before, I have emergency funds to keep me afloat until I find another job which isn't hard for me honestly due to my broad background not including education. Majority of adults are completely rational at least at work due to them needing a payday. And having children of your own and working with children: not the same.
So why not work in a High School? You have a lot of options with education. Work at a private school, be a private tutor, etc. The kids were age 8 to 11 while I was 17 to 18 when i worked at the Y.

I don't get this thread. You state you have broad background but you were not sure how to "politely" quit this job. Have you not quit a job before? It's a simple process not sure it required a thread. A simple google search.

If you don't like children what is the point of having children of your own. You stated "I have come to realize I am no longer a person that can be around kids for extended periods of time." You are going to be with your kids for 16+ plus.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you. You have no idea how many teachers truly dislike children. You should hear how they speak about them during breaks and the teacher's lounge.
The same way adults talk s*** about their boss, co-workers, etc. The same way kids talk about teachers, siblings, parents, peers, etc. It's called Life.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
And truth be told, some of the students in NYC public schools are very troubled. They act out, refuse to do any work, are incontrollable. I have a young friend who recently started teaching after completely a master's. She had two miserable years, at two different "good" public schools in Manhattan, and decided to give it one more year. Fortunately, she found herself in a better situation and is happy.

I don't blame the kids for their behavior, honestly, I blame the parents. But teaching these kids can be harrowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: