Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
You can also cover the windows with plastic. 3M makes a kit that's cheap and easy to install.
Unfortunately I don't have the typical windows. I have used those before in past apts. With the windows I have no it won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the typical windows. I have used those before in past apts. With the windows I have no it won't work.
How's your heat tonight girl? Are you doing ok?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I am at 79...way too warm. But I will tolerate it because the outside temperatures are supposed to fall by a few hundred degrees very soon.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Oh I have to wear two pair....Earlier this year when the apt heat was great I didn't have to. Sigh I miss those days.

Perfect apartment wear: a pair of Stafford boxer shorts. Anything more is overkill. Anything less is for company.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
Good for you, would you like a medal for that or what?
The big deal is at night it gets down to 50 by the windows and its ****ing cold!
Fifty? That ain't nothing.

I often watched TV late at night, and it was in the 40s, easily. I just put on a jacket, sweater, and sweatpants over my pajama pants. I was cold, but so what.
That which does not destroy me, makes me strong!
-- Nietzsche
Yes, I would like a medal. Thank you,

Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Perfect apartment wear: a pair of Stafford boxer shorts. Anything more is overkill. Anything less is for company.
I love being in my apt in shorts and a shirt. When you have to bible up in stay warm at home your like why bother even being here. Its not comfy and relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Fifty? That ain't nothing.

I often watched TV late at night, and it was in the 40s, easily. I just put on a jacket, sweater, and sweatpants over my pajama pants. I was cold, but so what.
That which does not destroy me, makes me strong!
-- Nietzsche
Yes, I would like a medal. Thank you,
So what you ask. Thats no way to live.
Either your crazy or cheap to keep your temp that low.
Legal temp is 62 degrees.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:54 AM

"I often watched TV late at night, and it was in the 40s, easily"

Sure you do. Why not go to a Dollar store, buy a thermometer and find out what the bedroom temperature REALLY is.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 PM

Heat got fixed in my building. Now is back to what it used to be set at a month ago.
Drafty windows really aren't an issue now cause the temp when way up in my apartment.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM

251 posts, read 204,044 times
If you have heat problems my best advice is to move to a higher floor if it's Pre-War. I am at a toasty 80 degrees unless I crack open a window. Now if the heat wasn't on at all then I'd probably be at 70 degrees due to the natural heat rising. If the place had bad insulation with NO heat at all - The lowest it would probably get is 60. With minimal heat it would be 65.

So if you tend to be a cold person (meaning your body temp is higher on average than everyone else) and you are skinny then move to an upper floor. I have the opposite problem so I need to move lower. Of course central AC would solve most of this but obviously not possible in Pre-War and too costly in NYC period. You'll be paying $4k for a 1 BR for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: