Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:49 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times

Advertisements

I’ve had Spectrum/ Time Warner, but they’re getting too ridiculously overpriced with their services. Is Verizon any better? I’ve had friends/ coworkers who have switched to Verizon, but they say that it’s the same price after a while if not more expensive. What do you think!? Are there other ISPs or a better trick that’ll get us some good internet service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I’ve had Spectrum/ Time Warner, but they’re getting too ridiculously overpriced with their services. Is Verizon any better? I’ve had friends/ coworkers who have switched to Verizon, but they say that it’s the same price after a while if not more expensive. What do you think!? Are there other ISPs or a better trick that’ll get us some good internet service?
If you think Spectrum is expensive then you can forget even entertaining the thought of getting Verizon

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
I mean you don’t really have a choice, monopoly capitalism has it set up so that you have the choice of 1-2 corporations per area and both generally price fix so that the prices are largely similiar and ridiculously high

Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you think Spectrum is expensive then you can forget even entertaining the thought of getting Verizon
I just want more for the price I’m paying. These people seem to raise their prices every other month in such a way that I can’t even set up automatic payments with my bank! They cut my service off this weekend cause I didn’t know my automatic payment were now subpar. I have now paid and adjusted my automatic payments accordingly but I’d rather not keep doing this every other stinking month!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:21 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I just want more for the price I’m paying. These people seem to raise their prices every other month in such a way that I can’t even set up automatic payments with my bank! They cut my service off this weekend cause I didn’t know my automatic payment were now subpar. I have now paid and adjusted my automatic payments accordingly but I’d rather not keep doing this every other stinking month!

Hate to break it the news; but as noted; you are going to get "bent over" either way; Spectrum or Verizon. There are some smaller choices but they pretty much are resellers of one or both of the already mentioned companies. You might try and see if EarthLink is still out there....

Best you can do is pick one that is making you a good offer; when that is ready to expire switch over to someone else for same. Lather, rinse and repeat.

This and or join the large and growing number of us who have cut the cord and gone OTA.

Haven't had cable in four or so years now and don't miss it at all. What you cannot watch OTA there is always Netflix/streaming.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Is RCN still out there?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Is RCN still out there?

Apparently: https://www.rcn.com/new-york/

Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Is RCN still out there?
I was just about to say that though I don't know if they're any better or cheaper.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I was just about to say that though I don't know if they're any better or cheaper.
If you think things are bad now, just wait until that some kind of Trump appointed FCC gets finished.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you think things are bad now, just wait until that some kind of Trump appointed FCC gets finished.
Very true!

Stormgal, what choices do you have in your building? You're limited by that unless you can somehow hang a dish out your window. My landlord would have a cow if I tried that.

The more choices you have, the better deal you can finagle by getting more than one estimate and ask each service for a better deal that what the competition is offering.

I have Verizon, Spectrum and RCN in my building. I use RCN and have for many years. I pay about $174 a month for one phone line, fast Internet connection, and two TVs (no premium channels). I don't know what "tier" I'm on, but I don't get HBO, Cinemax, etc.

I do have the RCN-branded TiVo and love it. It's an older model called a quad. So I can record four things at once or watch one channel and record three others. I have two TVs hooked up to that.

I'm happy with the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: