U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 PM

12,273 posts, read 23,161,168 times

Advertisements

Just a side note to say our building (a coop) has a system that allows for only a certain number of fobs for each unit. The total number depends on the number of adults and children over 10 who legally reside in the unit. Then you can have I think 2 or 3 extras beyond that -- one for emergency contact, one for someone like a sitter, and if there's a third, I can't remember which category.

So a single person residing in a unit could have 3 to 4 total fobs. (A couple or family could have more.) If another is requested, the answer would be no. If you lose one, they deactivate the one that's lost and issue you a new one (possibly for a fee, can't recall that part).

I think this system makes sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,587,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You are totally missing the point. If the fobs were $10, every apartment would purchase a bunch of them for "emergencies" or whatever. Then, guess what, suddenly instead of every apartment having 3 that they can keep track of, now they have 10, and can't remember which of the sitters, cleaners, dog walkers, baby mamas, grandmamas, nephew's friends, etc. they gave it to.

Which kind of security systems do you prefer?
If people really want to screw around, they will find a way, clone fob or not won't make a difference. You really think the fob is all that secure? Think again. You really think those management care about your safety? The management only care about getting your share of the money.

We can argue this all day, but the bottom line is people will still clone their fob. If I really want to clone it, I would have done so in the first place. Well, maybe I was lazy to google search it myself, so hoping to find a partner in crime with some insight.

After all, Is just different opinion.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Just a side note to say our building (a coop) has a system that allows for only a certain number of fobs for each unit. The total number depends on the number of adults and children over 10 who legally reside in the unit. Then you can have I think 2 or 3 extras beyond that -- one for emergency contact, one for someone like a sitter, and if there's a third, I can't remember which category.

So a single person residing in a unit could have 3 to 4 total fobs. (A couple or family could have more.) If another is requested, the answer would be no. If you lose one, they deactivate the one that's lost and issue you a new one (possibly for a fee, can't recall that part).

I think this system makes sense.
Ok, the part where deactive the lost one and get it replace, and pay the replacement cost of getting the replacement, that I can do. However, most managements dont think like this. They only care how much money they can get from each individual. So, is pointless to hope for something like this.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:42 PM

12,273 posts, read 23,161,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
If people really want to screw around, they will find a way, clone fob or not won't make a difference. You really think the fob is all that secure? Think again. You really think those management care about your safety? The management only care about getting your share of the money.

We can argue this all day, but the bottom line is people will still clone their fob. If I really want to clone it, I would have done so in the first place. Well, maybe I was lazy to google search it myself, so hoping to find a partner in crime with some insight.

After all, Is just different opinion.
I'm in a coop. Perhaps it's different. The management does care about safety. We have safety issues addressed at every annual meeting. We're reminded at least once a year (by the management sending letters to us) that we shouldn't let unknown people in behind us when we enter the building with our fob.

We also got informed when there were non-residents who entered our building with keys, and stole bikes from the basement. (Now we have fobs so if that happened again and the thieves used fobs, then at least the management could review the security tapes and see what time the thieves entered, and figure out which apartment was affiliated with those fobs.)

I didn't say a fob system is 100% secure. Of course it's not. But it's more secure than the system we had before where there were any number of key copies floating around with people who used to live here or used to do work here. And it's more secure with the current system we have for each apartment only being allowed a max number of fobs, and the requirements about requesting replacement fobs, than a system that has no requirements.

It's too bad you have to live in such an insecure environment where you and your neighbors will resort to illegally cloning fobs.

So, yes, I guess we can still argue this all day.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 AM

22,934 posts, read 30,887,157 times
I prefer apartment keys and a 24 hour doorman.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I prefer apartment keys and a 24 hour doorman.
I expected the same, but is not our call. We are just the little guy no one cares about.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 486 times
Default Key fob cloning at Greenwich Locksmiths in Manhattan

I got my key fob cloned at Greenwich Locksmiths, they did it for me while I waited and charged me $45.

They are in the West Village at 56 7th Avenue South New York, NY 10014

Their phone number is 212-242-4646 and website is www.greenwichlocksmiths.com

Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,980,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
i realize sex is the end all for many people ,but ugh, try to be a cut above and stop ruining other peoples' experience because of daddy issues and horniness. (female AND male)
LMAO - I don’t know which one is funnier - this comment or the OPs reaction

Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 PM

953 posts, read 846,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
LMAO - I don’t know which one is funnier - this comment or the OPs reaction
Girllllll... Aquarius usually wins these wars, but I gotta give it to OP, they outfunnied the master.

And congrats on the new digs, girl. It's been a longggggggggggg time comin', but it came. Another vet to check off. Who else is missing now?

Old 05-12-2018, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 732 times
Clonemykey.com can do it pretty easily. You just need to send them a photo of your key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City