Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 10:28 AM

40 posts, read 34,692 times

Advertisements

When you start an application for housing lottery, if you attempt to do it for more than one person it asks your relationship to the person. I've read on this site that 2-3 bedrooms are only for families or couples. So, why does the application leave room to list non-familial types of relationships or partnerships? I've read the guidelines handbook but I don't see anything specific on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,031,429 times
In case you're going to have them move in with you later, I guess.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
If you are interdependent with another person financially or socially, for instance providing or receiving care, that relationship would be considered “familial.” I think that’s in the Marketing Guidelines.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Wouldn't that be more like caregiver or something?

It specifically lists friend as an option and a space for 'other'. The rest are family titles. So I applied as friends last year (unknowingly) and people here were saying that's now how it works. We were selected before off the waitlist but needed to send it a packet of paperwork before interview and one of us ended up having too many credits to not count as full time student (she was doing independent study but that still makes her a student). So the rejection mentions that not the 'we aren't related' aspect, and we never got to the interview for it to come up there.
Thanks for any insight all

Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
The guidelines say specifically that this housing program is not for roommate situations, so you might want to apply separately if you are able. Or else think of a reason why you are dependent on each other.

Also, the full time student proviso doesn’t count if there is another person in the household who is not a full time student. So they can’t deny you because of that.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM

We've applied separately since then. We've just started getting log numbers from our old applications and my friend isn't convinced we're not still in the running lol . I told her it's actually not going to work for roommates. And this part of the marketing guidelines :

"Household" at admission shall mean (i) a single person, or (ii) two or more persons
who:
a. are Immediate Family Members;
b. are Extended Family Members who need to live together in order to
support one another with respect to finances, child care, eldercare,
medical care, or other extenuating family circumstance, as indicated by
self-certifications explaining the family circumstances and needs; or
are financially interdependent, as indicated by (i) current leases or utility
records demonstrating a shared address, or (ii) documentation, such as
bank accounts, demonstrating shared assets.

But because they have titles for that and still have a 'friend' option separately it's hard to explain.

She applied as head of household and she was full time.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
You want to see change? Start the change. Stop whining and hope someone does anything for you. If you dont want to do it, then dont whine and suck it up.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:18 PM

^^ that must have ended up in wrong post ...haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: