Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,618,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If it's a private school, I can only think of places like Country Club or Riverdale. The hilltop schools in Riverdale are some of the finest in the nation and quite hoity-toity. Parents that live in Westchester send their kids there. Odd that you would send your kids there given your complaints.
Those aren't the only private schools in the Bronx. There are a lot of affordable Catholic schools in the borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:43 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Those aren't the only private schools in the Bronx. There are a lot of affordable Catholic schools in the borough.
They aren't, but those are some of the best ones, and you said "white" Bronx neighborhoods. Country Club and Riverdale is about as white as it gets that could be hoity-toity.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,580,857 times
Quote:
Duly noted g-dale.

Why do you assume my neighborhood is like Brownsville? (I have never even been there.)
Bedford Park is not Brownsville.

Brownsville, sadly, has one of the highest crime rates in Brooklyn. And one of the highest - if not the highest - poverty rates.

Bedford Park, from what I understand, is a working class neighborhood that has remained stable and quite safe for decades. (My mom did grow up on the border of Bedford Park and Norwood, right on Mosholu Parkway, which I understand is the dividing line).

Some people are ridiculous and think that just because a neighborhood isn't "hip" or "gentrified" then it's unsafe, or "ghetto" (to use their racist and offensive wording).

It's not the case. My mom was always happy that her old neighborhood remained safe and stable even through the toughest time for the Bronx, in the 1970s and 1980s.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Brownsville, sadly, has one of the highest crime rates in Brooklyn. And one of the highest - if not the highest - poverty rates.

Bedford Park, from what I understand, is a working class neighborhood that has remained stable and quite safe for decades. (My mom did grow up on the border of Bedford Park and Norwood, right on Mosholu Parkway, which I understand is the dividing line).

Some people are ridiculous and think that just because a neighborhood isn't "hip" or "gentrified" then it's unsafe, or "ghetto" (to use their racist and offensive wording).

It's not the case. My mom was always happy that her old neighborhood remained safe and stable even through the toughest time for the Bronx, in the 1970s and 1980s.
Thank you Shoshanarose.

The attitude was particularly annoying if someone didn't monitor their kids anyway. We got alerts about men trying to get kids into their cars regularly, and there's also the danger of kids getting hit by cars (I was a witness to that once unfortunately). In fact, the people I tended to hear this from were not who I'd consider great parents.

I don't want to give the impression that this was typical to everyone. I also know know great parents who live there that definitely don't have that attitude.

Last edited by yodel; 01-17-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

It's not the 70s or 80s anymore... It's 2018... Bedford Park is what it is, and there are seedy parts.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's not the 70s or 80s anymore... It's 2018... Bedford Park is what it is, and there are seedy parts.
Then you should definitely stay out.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM

1,176 posts, read 101,294 times
Who has ever heard of a neighborhood having a political leaning, this has got to be just a whining Lib still unhappy because they lost

Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
Who has ever heard of a neighborhood having a political leaning,
I'm sure there are a lot of things you've never heard of. That's ok, you can keep coming back here to learn, but you might not want to make posts every time that broadcast your ignorance like you have above.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
Who has ever heard of a neighborhood having a political leaning, this has got to be just a whining Lib still unhappy because they lost
You're proving the point of my thread.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You're proving the point of my thread.
I agree with him. I have never checked for the political leaning of a neighborhood before moving there. What's important is that is safe first and foremost. Maybe if you paid more attention to that you would've avoided Bedford Park. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City