U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times

Advertisements

I realize that overall, NYC is an overwhelmingly liberal city, but there are some conservative enclaves here. Do you prefer to live in an area with politically and ideologically like-minded people? Does it even enter your mind when choosing a neighborhood?

I have a friend who is very conservative, and she's very unhappy where she lives because she doesn't feel that she can express her views (people become extremely hostile to her). Her son (who is about 14) has been ridiculed in school after expressing support for Donald Trump.

I started thinking about this reading the Parkchester discussion. In the Bronx many more conservatives can be found in neighborhoods like Woodlawn and Pelham Bay but they are scarce in the rest of the borough. I was wondering if people with extreme right-leaning views would be happy in the majority of the neighborhoods here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,659,276 times
I wouldn't consider political leanings when shopping for a neighborhood in NYC, but I do think along those lines when searching for a retirement spot out of state.

First off, I think Trump is a special case. He's so polarizing. When someone says he or she is a Trump supporter, that raises all kinds of issues. Nixon was certainly a piece of work, but years ago if you said you were a Nixon supporter in a liberal area, you might have gotten some dirty looks, but you would have been spared the opprobrium that Trump supporters are being treated to today.

I am a born and bred New Yorker, and I lean liberal. I also like to read "best places to retire" articles. Some of the locations sound nice, and they're certainly cheaper than New York City, and the thought of a nice house or apartment is appealing. But if they are located in red states, I hesitate. I don't want to be surrounded by people with conservative viewpoints, especially in the charged climate we are living in now.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM

849 posts, read 451,498 times
No.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I wouldn't consider political leanings when shopping for a neighborhood in NYC, but I do think along those lines when searching for a retirement spot out of state.

First off, I think Trump is a special case. He's so polarizing. When someone says he or she is a Trump supporter, that raises all kinds of issues. Nixon was certainly a piece of work, but years ago if you said you were a Nixon supporter in a liberal area, you might have gotten some dirty looks, but you would have been spared the opprobrium that Trump supporters are being treated to today.

I am a born and bred New Yorker, and I lean liberal. I also like to read "best places to retire" articles. Some of the locations sound nice, and they're certainly cheaper than New York City, and the thought of a nice house or apartment is appealing. But if they are located in red states, I hesitate. I don't want to be surrounded by people with conservative viewpoints, especially in the charged climate we are living in now.
Yes everything is way more emotionally charged because of Trump, but I do think that it goes beyond him. The whole question is probably more pertinent to conservatives since there are sure to be many liberals even in the more conservative neighborhoods here (but not necessarily the other way around).

Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,438,330 times
If I considered political leanings, I wouldn't be in NYC at all.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,532,416 times
Nope! politic and neighborhood is no where near each other in my opinion. As long as the neighborhood is safe and sound, then is all good for me. People can have different opinion, and that's why I don't like to socialize with others, but I am not anti-social. I like to know the people who I talk to are somewhat on the same page, or else I won't bother. People are crazy these day, and you can get harm just for having different opinion in politic. Thanks but no thanks. I have enough problem in life, so I don't need more problem just because someone like or hate president Trump.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
I lean conservative, but live in a neighborhood that could be called "uptight" if you will. It's supposedly liberal overall, but I think some of the older residents aren't as liberal as they may claim. I remember in 2016 hearing a few people in line to vote vehemently complaining about the danger of voting for Trump and how they were going to stop him. I just smiled to myself, went in my polling station, filled out a scantron and sat back and watched as people here in NYC couldn't believe Trump won. Overall my neighborhood voted Democratic, but of the richer pockets voted for Trump as well. The same was true for de Blasio in his first term here. For what it's worth, speaking of the Bronx, Morris Park had the Bronx County Republican Headquarters right on Morris Park Avenue for years.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 4,745 times
Never considered politics when thinking of moving to NYC and I lean conservative and am from the South.

Last edited by Aimstraight; 01-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Tyoed mean instead of lean

Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
People who can only live around people who share their political leanings tend to make bad neighbors, whatever their politics. Mainly because it means they talk too much.

The best neighbor is one who isn't obsessed with takling about their politics, because it means they are smart and socially savvy. If everyone agrees, it is just masturbation. If there is a disagreement, it is a fight. What's the point?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I realize that overall, NYC is an overwhelmingly liberal city, but there are some conservative enclaves here. Do you prefer to live in an area with politically and ideologically like-minded people? Does it even enter your mind when choosing a neighborhood?

I have a friend who is very conservative, and she's very unhappy where she lives because she doesn't feel that she can express her views (people become extremely hostile to her). Her son (who is about 14) has been ridiculed in school after expressing support for Donald Trump.

I started thinking about this reading the Parkchester discussion. In the Bronx many more conservatives can be found in neighborhoods like Woodlawn and Pelham Bay but they are scarce in the rest of the borough. I was wondering if people with extreme right-leaning views would be happy in the majority of the neighborhoods here.

Meh. I don't discuss politics and/or religion for a myriad of reasons. I'm good living in an area where you do your thing and I do mine. People get hostile over anything and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City