Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times

Advertisements

Hey op, people can play their music loud till midnight. After that,it's a problem, keep calling the cops.

Or try another method. When their music is cut off at 6am, get your music on at full blast. Some Paul Simon or church music will be sure to **** them off.

You can go out and call 911 a few dozen times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Hey op, people can play their music loud till midnight.
somebody lied to you. nope. by law, they got til 10pm to blast music. after that its your justifiable right to call 311 or 911 if you gotta

Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
somebody lied to you. nope. by law, they got til 10pm to blast music. after that its your justifiable right to call 311 or 911 if you gotta
Our lease state 11pm to 8am is quiet hours. So does the law trump our lease?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
swingers?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
I thought you could no longer call 311 for noise complaints. Or does that only apply to street noise.
And good luck if the cops actually come for a noise complaint. I know first hand because a bunch of us were over for dinner at another friend's apt when her neighbor next door was simultaneously throwing a really loud party that was disrupting my friend's dinner party. She called 311/911 several times and no one came.

Apparently, my friend & her husband had been having an ongoing dispute with their neighbor every weekend (and sometimes on the weekday) throwing large and rowdy parties that ended at 3 to 4 am in the morning. They tried everything (confronting their neighbor, calling the landlord/mgmt, calling 911/311) to no avail. I think they finally had to move out. Their place was in Hamilton Heights, btw. Or was it Washington Heights. I can't remember, it was awhile ago. Anyway, they finally bought a place in Jackson Heights and love it there so far (it's been 10 yrs or so).

In the meantime, my other friend & her husband who had a place on the UES had problems with a neighbor who lived in the apt. above theirs turning the TV on every night until 3 or 4 am so loudly, that they could hear it in their apt disrupting their sleep. They complained to the doorman, the coop board (where they learned that the loud TV people was soundly hated by everybody in the bldg) but no one could do anything about it despite repeated confrontations. My friend & her husband finally moved out & bought a house in NJ where they worry about the bad weather and trees falling onto their property.

So, that's a good question. What recourse does one have with a disruptively loud neighbor. And what if you live in a place where everybody's like that. Get ear plugs and sound machines? That's what I had to do except my problem wasn't with loud neighbors but outside street noise (cars honking, construction going on, Con Ed men digging, saxophone dudes playing the saxophone badly, drunk people at the bar across singling Bon Jovi songs loudly). It worked for me.

Last edited by Aeran; 01-14-2018 at 11:54 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
After 10pm is the norm to keep quiet. That’s how it is at my current residence.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 AM

191 posts, read 220,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
you took the question out of my type. (if it is, i"m sure it's a majority 60% and below ami)

anyway, i had a similar problem with a group of young boys who moved in below me - this was back in 2012.

The frat house would basically bang on walls, talk and playfight - knocking things and furniture over in that apartment below me, and play extremely loud music - i'm not talking about loud music where it's just loud, i'm talking about loud where the music's base would shiver windows and the force of the music would go through the walls and through you. They'd do this until literally 6:00am (i'm not exaggerating). To add insult to injury, it's that horrible ghetto type of music that you'd hear when driving through a sh*&tty area.

After numerous complaints, one day i got fed up - i'm talking fed up as if a demon entered into me:

i took a video of my apartment with the loud music. I then showed the video of me turning on my tv to show the time of the morning, then went downstairs and took video of the apartment and all sorts of low lives coming in and out of the apartment, then finally uploaded the whole damn video up on youtube and emailed the link to the manager's rental office. I threatened, "if you don't do something about this, i not only will continue to post these videos, but will post them on yelp so that everyone can see what a lazy landlord you are. Then i will take you to city court, and sue you for all the back rent basically for breaking my "right to peace" on the lease. I have plenty of proof .... Try me!!"

the tenants were evicted within six months time.

Man, when those tenants were evicted, to me, it was the best experience of 2012.
gold

Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Our lease state 11pm to 8am is quiet hours. So does the law trump our lease?
yep. every time

Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I thought you could no longer call 311 for noise complaints. Or does that only apply to street noise.
And good luck if the cops actually come for a noise complaint. I know first hand because a bunch of us were over for dinner at another friend's apt when her neighbor next door was simultaneously throwing a really loud party that was disrupting my friend's dinner party. She called 311/911 several times and no one came.

Apparently, my friend & her husband had been having an ongoing dispute with their neighbor every weekend (and sometimes on the weekday) throwing large and rowdy parties that ended at 3 to 4 am in the morning. They tried everything (confronting their neighbor, calling the landlord/mgmt, calling 911/311) to no avail. I think they finally had to move out. Their place was in Hamilton Heights, btw. Or was it Washington Heights. I can't remember, it was awhile ago. Anyway, they finally bought a place in Jackson Heights and love it there so far (it's been 10 yrs or so).

In the meantime, my other friend & her husband who had a place on the UES had problems with a neighbor who lived in the apt. above theirs turning the TV on every night until 3 or 4 am so loudly, that they could hear it in their apt disrupting their sleep. They complained to the doorman, the coop board (where they learned that the loud TV people was soundly hated by everybody in the bldg) but no one could do anything about it despite repeated confrontations. My friend & her husband finally moved out & bought a house in NJ where they worry about the bad weather and trees falling onto their property.

So, that's a good question. What recourse does one have with a disruptively loud neighbor. And what if you live in a place where everybody's like that. Get ear plugs and sound machines? That's what I had to do except my problem wasn't with loud neighbors but outside street noise (cars honking, construction going on, Con Ed men digging, saxophone dudes playing the saxophone badly, drunk people at the bar across singling Bon Jovi songs loudly). It worked for me.
you can call 311 for residential noise. they've made it so, if ratchets are blasting music, officers cannot enter the premises. guess the city got tired of being sued. for street noise, call the 5

Old 01-15-2018, 12:27 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Get ear plugs and sound machines?
I already stated I use earplugs and TWO sound machines

When dealing with Bass and abrupt yelling those just don't drowned out sounds.

Quote:
yep. every time
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City