Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,917,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The worst thing about this neighbor is one weekend I rang the bell said I need to be up early this Sunday. I gave him 2 days notice. I said I'm running the NYC Marathon and I really need sleep Saturday night. He said cool cool. I asked if he could keep it down or not have a get together if it would be extremely loud. Well Saturday comes, they are loud. I put my ear plugs in and 2 sound machines on and finally fall asleep. Then get woken up by them 2 times. Finally at 3am I go down there livid. I said I asked you nicely, turn that **** off now. I have to be up in 3 hours and I have to run 26 miles. So he clearly just doesn't give AF.
Wow. Pure Aholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,067,340 times
Quote:
The worst thing about this neighbor is one weekend I rang the bell said I need to be up early this Sunday. I gave him 2 days notice. I said I'm running the NYC Marathon and I really need sleep Saturday night. He said cool cool. I asked if he could keep it down or not have a get together if it would be extremely loud. Well Saturday comes, they are loud. I put my ear plugs in and 2 sound machines on and finally fall asleep. Then get woken up by them 2 times. Finally at 3am I go down there livid. I said I asked you nicely, turn that **** off now. I have to be up in 3 hours and I have to run 26 miles. So he clearly just doesn't give AF.
why not call the cops from a burner phone? tell the cops you heard a fight downstairs and girl screaming help..

Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
why not call the cops from a burner phone? tell the cops you heard a fight downstairs and girl screaming help..
They will be glad to prevent a crime scene instead of the usual clean up of the crime scene.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:49 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,067,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
They will be glad to prevent a crime scene instead of the usual clean up of the crime scene.
I bet if they are partying that hard that some narcotics would be present. OP - should buy a pre-paid burner phone and call 911 or local police department and give them a "tip"

Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM

33,932 posts, read 47,195,100 times
What neighborhood is this?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2018, 04:15 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,850,966 times
quote:
I said I'm running the NYC Marathon

OMFG, if someone knocked at my door and told me that I would DIE laughing

Old 01-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
I said I'm running the NYC Marathon

OMFG, if someone knocked at my door and told me that I would DIE laughing
Lol. I can imagine this.

Knock knock.

Whos there?

Me , I have a marathon tomorrow.

oh yeah? We have a 8 ball marathon here right now, wanna join?

No I just want to sleep.

No one is sleeping here. Closes the door and goes back to his team McSnortsnort.

No one slept that night.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM

593 posts, read 469,625 times
Quote:
So My neighbors has what he calls get togethers every weekend.
I call it a party as you hear people yelling and screaming, loud music, banging on the walls etc. They go on to 6am or so some Saturday nights. I have tried to talk to him, he just doesn't seem to care. I have also contacted management about a half dozen times, spoke to the super, called 311. I'm really out of options, sick of being kept up all night or waken up, and am not sure what to do at this point. Moving is not an option for me. Any advise besides that?
Should I contact one of those free lawyers? Threaten to sue management for negligence?
I definitely feel your pain. I have had a lot of bad luck with noisy neighbors in recent years. Complaining to building management sometimes improves the situation temporarily, but then the neighbors' behavior reverts back after a while. Some problems that I have had include:

1. College students lived in an apartment 2 floors below me and would host massive parties in the courtyard below my window until 3 or 4am, sometimes on work nights. I ended up moving, partially because of this and partially due to a large rent increase.

2. An upstairs neighbor making noise all hours of the night, dropping something heavy on their floor. Then this individual left water running, which leaked down into my apartment and required extensive work including industrial-strength fans to dry it out and contractors and painters fixing the ceiling. It turns out this individual was not on the lease and was staying in the tenant's apartment despite being warned not to. I ended up moving.

3. A neighbor who would watch sports matches all hours of the night and scream profanity whenever his team made a bad play. He would also come and go all hours of the night and slam the door, jolting me awake.

4. Two neighbors who were operating a dog-walking business out of their apartment. They had a steady stream of employees coming and going throughout the day to pick up keys to clients' apartments. They would slam the door upon entering and leaving. The neighbors also owned their own dogs (guy had his dog and girl had her dog). They were frequently taking their dogs out up to 1am in some cases. The dogs would also bark whenever people went by the door. The neighbors would also host dinner parties with up to 10 people, which went on for many hours late into the night.

I nearly moved after #4, but fortunately they ended up moving. It got to the point where I avoided coming home until late due to the stress it was causing me. It definitely affected my job performance. Fortunately, my new neighbors are quiet and don't slam the door.

In my experience, the only solution to these problems is for either you or the neighbor to move. Building management, for whatever reason, seems unwilling or unable to address noise problems.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,751,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
In my experience, the only solution to these problems is for either you or the neighbor to move. Building management, for whatever reason, seems unwilling or unable to address noise problems.
Yeah. As long as the noisy tenants are paying, they won't care. They don't like to get involved as much as possible. And it's hard to evict someone. It's a lengthy process.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,225,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
I lived in over 20 apartments. I'm not moving over this situation.

I just want to find some free legal council and find out what I can hold by building responsible for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City