Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times

Advertisements

Steps away from Central Park and Carnegie Hall too. Whaaaat? Those single men fighting to get into NYCHA should go here lol

Updated January 16, 2018 8:45 PM
By Matthew Chayes

The de Blasio administration is planning to put a men’s homeless shelter around the corner from Carnegie Hall, Central Park and the Ritz-Carlton.

The 150-bed shelter for single men from Manhattan would go in what is now the Park Savoy Hotel, at 158 W. 58th St., between Sixth and Seventh avenues, according to a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Department of Homeless Services.
The shelter could open as soon as next month.

The mayor’s shelter plans come as the city grapples with a yearslong rise in the number of homeless people that predated, but has risen sharply, under his mayoralty. About 63,169 people slept in city shelters Tuesday night, according to the Coalition for the Homeless group. There were 53,615 in shelters in January 2014, when de Blasio took office, under the group’s tally.
The area where the shelter is to be placed “is a neighborhood that has done very well,” de Blasio said Tuesday afternoon at an unrelated news conference. “They also have to participate in this effort to ensure that we have enough shelter.”
De Blasio hopes to open 90 shelters around the city “in every kind of neighborhood.”
A man who answered the Park Savoy’s front desk line said the hotel was undergoing renovations that began about a month ago — “the rooms, hallways, painting, changing carpet.”

“I don’t know if there is a homeless shelter coming in. I just know they’re doing renovations right now,” said the man, who gave his name only as David.
David said that the hotel, which advertises itself as “economically priced,” currently has no guests and isn’t accepting new reservations.
“My understanding is that will be a long-term facility, not short-term pay-by-the-day hotel,” de Blasio said.

https://www.amny.com/news/homeless-s...all-1.16216689
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM

954 posts, read 939,232 times
Uh this is a good thing for the Ritz.

What better way to experience life as a real New Yorker than living next to homeless people?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Holy **** this is actually RIGHT next door to the most famous building on Billionaire Row; 157 West 57th Street. The penthouse was one of the most expensive apartments ever was sold!

Inside One57's $100 Million Penthouse - Business Insider

The owners won’t mind, the higher up floors won’t be able to make out the tiny dirty homeless people:

“What a wonderful view my love, I wonder what’s down there?”
“Oh uh nothing, just a chipotle or potbelly or something... why don’t we just order pizza tonight?”

Last edited by Principle Lewis; 01-17-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 09:10 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Uh this is a good thing for the Ritz.

What better way to experience life as a real New Yorker than living next to homeless people?
Lmao 😂 😂😂😂😂

they’ll probably find em ‘gritty’ and ‘urban’

Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Somebody Let Aquarius37 know about this!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
They should put one of these next to or inside every affordable housing apt building. That way it would stay affordable without further gov't intervention. Problem solved...

Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
Port authority bus terminal meets Eloise

Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times
In all seriousness this is a good thing. Why should shelter only be located in poor and working class areas and the outer boroughs. My neighborhood has like 3 that I know of. Probably more. Most of these wealthy Manhattan areas don’t have any. Just because your rich and exploit and leech off workers for a living doesn’t mean you should have the right to buy your way out of seeing the misery and failure of the system you’ve benefited from. I swear these rich folk act like they are too fragile to come into contact with the poor, it might hurt their upper class sensibilities. In reality many are guilty when they have to see how the poor live and so it’s more convenient for them if they don’t have to see it and can ignore it.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
In all seriousness this is a good thing. Why should shelter only be located in poor and working class areas and the outer boroughs. My neighborhood has like 3 that I know of. Probably more. Most of these wealthy Manhattan areas don’t have any. Just because your rich and exploit and leech off workers for a living doesn’t mean you should have the right to buy your way out of seeing the misery and failure of the system you’ve benefited from. I swear these rich folk act like they are too fragile to come into contact with the poor, it might hurt their upper class sensibilities. In reality many are guilty when they have to see how the poor live and so it’s more convenient for them if they don’t have to see it and can ignore it.
Poppycock!

Making enough money so you don’t have to interact or look at poor people is the American way.

You think rich people want to be around us? So we can talk about struggling to pay bills, what poorage brand we like the best, how many dirty newsboy hats we own and how many private jets and supermodel wives we DONT have?

I can honestly say if I was rich, I wouldn’t be talking to ANY of you. I’d be on a private island somewhere drinking orphan tears out of a bald eagle skull.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
There should not be an issue. Homeless shelters are of great service to the community. It gives homeless a nice warm place to sleep.

They arent all suppose to only be built in middle class neighborhoods, or just lower income like with all the Dominicans/hispanics in Inwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City