Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 AM

251 posts, read 148,482 times

Advertisements

I'm ready to move from Jamaica Center, Queens (hate it--it was a big mistake moving there last year) to Jackson Heights, due to the nightlife, proximity to Manhattan, restaurants, and the ethnic/racial diversity. I really like this part of Queens a lot.

However, despite JH's diversity, I notice a distinct lack of black ppl there. A few darker Latinos, but almost NO blacks--Caribbean, African, AA or otherwise. I mean, even on the crowded Roosevelt Ave/74th St. E/F/7 subway platforms, I see just about every group on earth, but zero blacks. What gives? -- I'm an AA professional, single, and male.

Can anyone knowledgeable about Jackson Heights provide any insight (i.e., whether blacks are clustered in certain sections, or sprinkled anywhere at all)? Am I off base?

I'm not bothered by the lack of blacks there, per se. I guess I'm just wondering if landlords and brokers are deliberately steering away potential black tenants. And if so, I really don't want to waste my time even searching there and will look elsewhere.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
I have several friends who live out that way (all Latinos), I've gone to birthday events at bars there (all Latin clubs), and I've heard the streets are safe for anyone who knows street smarts in a Latin country.

Get the picture I'm trying to paint?

Aside from Latinos the next biggest ethnic groups are Asians followed by Caucasians. The data supports my observations: Link

Landlords are more concerned with your credit/tenant history and income.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:33 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I have several friends who live out that way (all Latinos), I've gone to birthday events at bars there (all Latin clubs), and I've heard the streets are safe for anyone who knows street smarts in a Latin country.

Get the picture I'm trying to paint?

Aside from Latinos the next biggest ethnic groups are Asians followed by Caucasians. The data supports my observations: Link

Landlords are more concerned with your credit/tenant history and income.
I have a Greek American friend who has lived in Jackson Heights all of his life. From what I understand from him when he was a child there were many other Greeks and mainly Caucasians in the neighborhood. Nowadays Asians from Korea and Latinos seem to be the largest ethnic groups in the area. But I too think that landlords in the area are more concerned with one's ability pay to rent and being a good tenant than one's ethnic/racial group.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Yeah, thanks GoHuskies.

I've long known the groups that live there---it's predominately Latin/S. American, Indian, Bangladeshi, etc. I've been through there many times, hence my actual question....why NO black ppl? Not even a smidgeon? Seems really odd.

Some landlords can, do and will always steer certain types of ppl regardless of income, housing history. If they'd rather not rent to certain types, they simply won't (my dad was a landlord for years and he did it, lol).

Last edited by Aflyguy; 01-18-2018 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
MMMM, Indian Buffet.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you want to know how many blacks are in Jackson Heights, you can check census tracts from the NY Times.

I just glanced at them and in the historic district in Jackson Heights, this is about what they are:

Whites: 20 to 40%
Hispanics: 35 to 55%
Blacks: 1 to 2%
Asians: 15 to 25%

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
Yeah, thanks GoHuskies.

I've long known the groups that live there---it's predominately Latin/S. American, Indian, Bangladeshi, etc. I've been through there many times, hence my actual question....why NO black ppl? Not even a smidgeon? Seems really odd.

Some landlords can, do and will always steer certain types of ppl regardless of income, housing history. If they'd rather not rent to certain types, they simply won't (my dad was a landlord for years and he did it, lol).
In the area, there are black Caribbean residents, and AAs. They are more in East Elmhurst, and Corona to an extent. North of Northern Blvd., and even more north of Astoria Blvd. all the way to Laguardia Airport. Specifically east of Junction Blvd/94th streets. On Northern Blvd and 101 street ,home of the oldest Baptist(?) church and the Langston Hughes Public Library (first AA history library) are located. Malcolm X last residence was not too far from here, as well as many others. There is also Blank Panther history in this area.

Another location would be Junction Blvd/94th street over by 57th avenue, Lefrak City. A couple of blocks from Queens Center Mall. At one point, Lefrak was 90 percent AA

The immediate area, Jackson Heights, which is 82nd street and 74th street near Roosevelt Avenue, has a big mix of Hispanic , Asian, Middle eastern residents, and others. The neighborhood is very popular with the LGBT community as well. Speaking Spanish in the area does help you blend in. Presenting yourself as clean cut and with a stable job does go a long way.

Are you looking to rent in a private home or apartment building? planning to buy?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:40 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
If it's a management company then you don't have to worry about racism. I wouldn't say it's racism more so than if you can speak Spanish or not for the private owners to be able to communicate. I would say stick with a management company. Some of the private owners arbitrarily can change rent prices mid-year depending on their personal financial situation.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
it's a hispanic neighborhood that caters to hispanics but I dont see any racism here, if you want to come here, by all means come.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Kapikap, Bodie_bunk, eddp83,

Thank you. Your answers help and are what i was more so looking for. I am looking to rent from a building (even if its a co-op) with the possibility of purchasing in the future. I'm currently renting a 1BR co-op in Jamaica with the option, eligibilty (and pressure, lol) to purchase, but i'm really not interested--not here at least.

I think i just might bite the bullet and go the broker route and/or deal with a mgt company. Alternatively, i'm also considering Woodside and Elmhurst (Corona, not so much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: