Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:39 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I avoid congestion. I hate traffic. Plus there is no M train at the moment, and the same fate is in store for the L train. I will be charged a congestion tax when I am not even entering congested territory. And for the record I do take the train, and bus, and ferry, and drive. I like options. Traffic in the outerboros will be negatively impacted as a result of this.
You will only be charged for entering the congested areas during peak periods. The people complaining about this on here need to learn how to read. Additionally for the thousands of the commuters that have to work in Manhattan and use public transportation to get in, this will hopefully make their commutes better, especially those that need the express buses or use carpooling. Traffic has become almost impossible in Manhattan, and the status quo cannot continue. Those who must drive in should pay for it since the goal is to get these people to use public transportation like the rest of us do that commute to Manhattan, not drive.

What people don't seem to get or refuse to get is Manhattan is only but so big and there simply isn't enough space for all of these people to keep driving in. What needs to be analyzed especially is Uber and all of the other car services because they too are causing an incredible amount of congestion unnecessarily just idling looking for customers to pick-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 04:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Congestion pricing is a transplant scheme to suburbanize you? Are you off your meds, G-dog?

Charge these suckers, like tourists who use taxis when they go on their dream Manhattan vacation or drive in on a family trip, and use that money to fix our infrastructure. Nothing wrong with that. Do you know what the stats are for outer borough residents commuting into Midtown and Downtown by car actually is? It’s minuscule.

I’d like to see this paired with a RFID transit card system where residents get charged as is now and everyone else get an extra surcharge.
Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...and we'll see nothing from it but inflation and an empty city.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 PM

37,138 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...and we'll see nothing from it but inflation and an empty city.
More space for me.

Did London and Singapore empty out after congestion pricing? You’re talking about a tax that hits a small portion of New Yorkers, generally those who can afford it, and is supposed to be put towards mass transit and easing congestion which most New Yorkers have to deal with on a daily basis. I’d agree that if this isn’t tied to some clear and explicit funding for transit within NYC and the Tri-State area, but that’s not what you said.

M train is your train and it’s going to be back online when this goes into effect. And now there might be money to actually improve and maintain it. If this thing is in place with restrictions to fund only transit and infrastructure, then there might actually be the money to:

- fix the signals for fewer delays (including on the M) and have higher frequencies and speeds
- have a Triboro RX that would give your neighborhood access to more of the outer boroughs without going through Manhattan
- make a merged G and J/M/Z complex where they intersect
- make a circle line for the M that goes down from Jackson Heights and connects to its Middle Village terminus

That first one is necessary and is happening, the second one possible, the other two not really on the table but would be great. However, any of these including the first one need funding.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-19-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You will only be charged for entering the congested areas during peak periods. The people complaining about this on here need to learn how to read. Additionally for the thousands of the commuters that have to work in Manhattan and use public transportation to get in, this will hopefully make their commutes better, especially those that need the express buses or use carpooling. Traffic has become almost impossible in Manhattan, and the status quo cannot continue. Those who must drive in should pay for it since the goal is to get these people to use public transportation like the rest of us do that commute to Manhattan, not drive.

What people don't seem to get or refuse to get is Manhattan is only but so big and there simply isn't enough space for all of these people to keep driving in. What needs to be analyzed especially is Uber and all of the other car services because they too are causing an incredible amount of congestion unnecessarily just idling looking for customers to pick-up.
Don't worry, there will always be more taxes to come. This is just the start. They'll go one bridge at a time.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
More space for me.

Did London and Singapore empty out after congestion pricing? You’re talking about a tax that hits a small portion of New Yorkers, generally those who can afford it, and is supposed to be put towards mass transit and easing congestion which most New Yorkers have to deal with on a daily basis. I’d agree that if this isn’t tied to some clear and explicit funding for transit within NYC and the Tri-State area, but that’s not what you said.

M train is your train and it’s going to be back online when this goes into effect. And now there might be money to actually improve and maintain it. If this thing is in place with restrictions to fund only transit and infrastructure, then there might actually be the money to:

- fix the signals for fewer delays (including on the M) and have higher frequencies and speeds
- have a Triboro RX that would give your neighborhood access to more of the outer boroughs without going through Manhattan
- make a merged G and J/M/Z complex where they intersect
- make a circle line for the M that goes down from Jackson Heights and connects to its Middle Village terminus

That first one is necessary and is happening, the second one possible, the other two not really on the table but would be great. However, any of these including the first one need funding.
London moved all the jobs out of the City. And now even some out of the country.

Singapore?

Neither are NYC.

Everything you note above sounds expensive. I personally rather drive people out of the city by survival of the fittest, not by who has the fattest pockets.

Fake white progressives are against a wall along the Mexican border, but perfectly fine with one on the East River.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Plenty of lower income outer borough New Yorkers own cars or take cabs/ubers into Manhattan

Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

Uber is the best and worst thing that could have ever happened. These uber drivers drive me insane when they slowly drive around waiting to pick up fares or idling in an area resulting in congestion.

I am all for congestion pricing. NYC has a finite number of roadways to deal with an ever growing population and resulting cars. I went to the city two weeks ago for an art exhibit. I decided to have a late lunch after and considered ubering the 4 blocks because it was so cold.

My gps showed the same time walking to the destination as driving. I simply bundled up and walked it. That is insane that I can walk at the same speed of a car in Manhattan.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Plenty of lower income outer borough New Yorkers own cars or take cabs/ubers into Manhattan
Manhattan is gonna feel even further away for them.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Manhattan is gonna feel even further away for them.
I think people underestimate the number of people in NYC who rely on cars.

I mean, try finding parking in Bushwick or Bed Stuy around 1AM

Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
LIRR has many convenient stops in QUEENS. Metro north has stops in the Bronx. It is costlier and time consuming to drive to these areas where congestion pricing would be in effect from the outer borough.

The MTA should implement the freedom ticket, increase train services on regular trains and lirr city stops. Make the LIRR portion discounted after peak times in the city zone areas to encourage more people to use it.

Lower income and ubering into manhattan doesn't quite make sense. It is nowhere near the most cost effective or efficient way of getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City