Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Pretty easy to answer:

Not 30 years ago, a lot of people holding onto these tracts of land that only had 1 house on them were the original owners. As they started dying off, the children saw dollars signs. I can go on for hours recalling the large houses that I used to ride my bike past as a kid which are now individual little neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Pretty easy to answer:

Not 30 years ago, a lot of people holding onto these tracts of land that only had 1 house on them were the original owners. As they started dying off, the children saw dollars signs. I can go on for hours recalling the large houses that I used to ride my bike past as a kid which are now individual little neighborhoods.
So the kids sold the family houses and bailed out of Staten Island. Any ideas on where they went?

Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
People come and go like anywhere and as houses come up for sell, developers offer prices too good to resist. The owner sells, the developer then tears down the house and puts what he can on the land to maximize profit and the rest is history. BugsyPal is right. The problems facing Staten Island aren't necessarily new, but some of them are like worsening traffic because of more people moving there. Staten Island is not a terrible place to live if you know the nice areas, so let's not act as if the entire borough is a hellhole because it isn't. It is the richest borough out of all boroughs, and most neighborhoods still have great quality of life.

As with anywhere as more people move in and more trashy people come those things can change.
Apparently they are hard at work to change that, and they seem to be having a great deal of success.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:12 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Pretty easy to answer:

It isn't just the kids; plenty of "adults" that is original owners are more than happy to sell knowing what will happen.

In certain neighborhoods or whatever yes, at first many did care who they were selling their home to, and or what would happen after they moved. But now everyone just seems more concerned about getting their money. If you meet or exceed that number, the house/property is yours.

The owner of that Montessori school in Tottenville who sold that beautiful old and historic Butler mansion knew very well what was going to happen with that property. So did Knights of Columbus when they sold down on Broadway.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So the kids sold the family houses and bailed out of Staten Island. Any ideas on where they went?
Good question, maybe Jersey

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Just curious. Did a bunch of people from Staten Island retire and move to Florida or North Carolina or elsewhere?

I'm just wondering what made so many homes available to developers. I get why developers would want to do this (more money) but I'm wondering what made so many people on Staten Island sell besides just the money. Where did those homeowners move to?

One, it wasn't or isn't just homeowners. As myself, Airborneguy, and others can tell you up until recently there was quite a lot of vacant/empty land or lots on SI for development.

Entire areas I grew up in the 1970's and 1980's as woods, fields and empty lots now have tons of housing crammed onto.

Yes, you have redevelopment of existing homes; people sold for a variety of reasons. Some because the block/area began changing. Others retired and or wanted to move closer to family. Still more simply died and family didn't want the house. And so it goes.

You have to remember it really wasn't until the VNB was built some fifty or so years ago that opened up SI. Even then from say 1966 until maybe early 1980's while there was development, things didn't kick into high gear until later in that decade and certainly by the 1990's.

Driving along the SIE from the VNB going west much of the housing on either side of the expressway was *NOT* there when I was growing up. Indeed large parts of Graniteville, Bulls Head, Willowbrook, New Springville, etc... were largely empty lots or open tracts of land. The South Shore in particular was not heavily as built up like now.

Went to school with kids that lived in Todt Hill projects. Their parents would tell us kids that when they moved in (years after the buildings first went up), the surrounding area along Westwood avenue was mostly empty lots. In fact housing put up clotheslines across the street for the housewives to hang their wash.

If you look up the history of many houses on SI you'll find quite a lot from 1960's, 1970's and of course 1990's through today.

Browse around Youtube, you'll find plenty of videos showing what SI was like "back in the day".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pxTW7k11I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1J6eHBG6Zs

Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Good question, maybe Jersey

People started moving off SI for NJ even when I was a kid. Back in the late 1970's through 1980's we were always "going to Jersey" to visit this or that family member, friend of family or whatever that moved to NJ. Middletown, Manalapan, Holmdel etc... Today can add Old Bridge, Matawan and a few others.

Truth to tell when am down there can see "why" people chose; it reminds me of what Staten Island *used to be like*.

How much of "old Staten Island" lives in NJ? Well traffic on the Outerbridge, or Goethals on major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc... ) is often backed up. Heck the Outerbridge is now heavy with traffic nearly every weekend now it seems.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
People come and go like anywhere and as houses come up for sell, developers offer prices too good to resist. The owner sells, the developer then tears down the house and puts what he can on the land to maximize profit and the rest is history. BugsyPal is right. The problems facing Staten Island aren't necessarily new, but some of them are like worsening traffic because of more people moving there. Staten Island is not a terrible place to live if you know the nice areas, so let's not act as if the entire borough is a hellhole because it isn't. It is the richest borough out of all boroughs, and most neighborhoods still have great quality of life.

As with anywhere as more people move in and more trashy people come those things can change.

This is true!

Lafayette Avenue in New Brighton where this "Boy Scout" or whatever was busted for drugs is *very* nice. Especially west of Henderson avenue where you've got some lovely old homes.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Why does that mean they bailed on SI? Prior generaions didn’t live at home much past 20 years old. They could’ve had homes of their own long before their parents died.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Apparently they are hard at work to change that, and they seem to be having a great deal of success.
You can parrot that if it makes you feel good, but sensational stories aside, Staten Island’s crime stats remain far, far lower than any of the other boroughs. It’s not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City