Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 PM

68 posts, read 322,718 times

Advertisements

How many times have you swapped numbers with someone at a club and actually got together with that person? Did it ever develop into anything you could even remotely call "successful"? Or are your chances the same as being in a bar or lounge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM

415 posts, read 1,390,988 times
I've gotten some from women at a club but in no way was it ever more than a one night stand. If you want to have sex go to a club. If you want some sort of relationship, go some other place.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,591,300 times
Not sure what the distinction is here between a club vs. bar or lounge, but I tend to think that if you're going to as place where the intent is to hook up if you meet someone, you may have less success than if you meet someone more "naturally." Meetup.com may be more of an option; you get together with a group of folks with common interests, so it's not like a meat market.

Same with online dating services, from what I've experienced.

In a word, it's tough out there (lol)--especially in this tough, competitive city.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,591,300 times
One caveat: way back between relationships, I did do some online dating, but my "mr. Right" walked into the bar I'd been a regular in one night, and we hit it off right away. At the same time, I could tell right away from the vibes I was getting that he was not a predator.

I'm learning thru painful experience to pay attention to your gut...if someone says or does things that seem a little "off" when you meet them, odds are it won't get any better, no matter how much you wish it would.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:17 AM

757 posts, read 3,354,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Same with online dating services, from what I've experienced.
I've never used an online dating service, but . . .

A young man I know -- very sweet, extremely handsome, bright -- was not meeting women who appealed to him. Someone suggested he try JDate.com. The first woman he met (and it was her first time using JDate, too) he connected with.

They're getting married in November.

Awwwww! Isn't that lovely?

Of course, unlike Levy's Rye Bread, you do have to be Jewish for JDate.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,334,211 times
Yeah I've heard rave reviews about JDate from my Jewish friends, but that doesn't really help the 90% of the rest of us who aren't Jewish

Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,939,886 times
I met my wife of 32 years in a club

Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM

332 posts, read 1,116,252 times
You don't HAVE to be Jewish for JDate, but you should be looking to date someone Jewish. I found it totally distasteful, but I have an Asian friend who was looking for a Jewish lawyer or banker, and she signed up for JDate. She found him, he takes care of her, and they both seem happy, so. . .

I've hooked up with people at clubs, and "hooking up" is as far as it goes. A bar is a little better, if it's one where you can actually have a conversation.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,167,749 times
No. The few times I've done it, it hasn't been good. I'm not really into clubs, and part of the reason is that I think its a horrible place to meet people. You can't really talk over the music, you can't really see them well.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 AM

248 posts, read 870,151 times
I think meeting people in clubs, and in some types of bars, is a purely superficial experience, pushing the idea that you "judge a book by it's cover" before you'll talk to them...JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: