Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times

Advertisements

If implemented right, this could be a boon. However, what the "government deems as healthy"... this doesn't seem like it'll end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
I am not a fan of this idea. But I'm also not a fan of food stamp recipients buying steaks that I cannot afford to buy (yes, those people exist, and there are millions of them).

Here is a better idea. States and localities have no incentives to fight fraud because the feds pay for this program. Have the federal government download it on the states and/or cities, and watch what happens.

And in NYC, there is a simple way to reduce the rolls by at least 25%. Require all able-bodied "non-working" (many non-workers work off the books) recipients to work just two 4-hour shifts a week picking up trash on streets and in parks. You can set the hours so it doesn't interfere with school hours.

Watch what happens. Biggest disappearing act ever.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Nobody buys necessities with food stamps. It's often used to trade in for cash since many receipients are scamming the system. Many wealthy immigrants that own buildings and businesses are food stamp receipients too. They don't want food service because they aren't hungry.

I often seen ppl buy steaks and junk food with food stamps.

There's no reason for a mom pop hardware or dollar store to take food stamps unless they are helping ppl scam the system.
wow! Nobody huh? You guys must be experts on what poor people spend their money on!

This idea is great! Never mind the fact it’s going to be insanely expensive/not feasible/impossible.

And go **** yourself if you don’t like the food trump picks out for you! Or are allergic/diabetic/have special nutritional needs. Poor people don’t deserve options. You’ll eat your crap and like it, even if it kills you.

Gentlemen this is an excellent idea.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I actually don't see how people can see this as a bad thing, and I hate Trump.

Many lower income neighborhoods are food deserts where there are really slim pickings when it comes to healthy food. By delivering food directly to them this may help.

Personally, I would rather our administration focus on other things though like universal healthcare. People are going bankrupt from medical bills which to me is unacceptable.
If you think for a second they will receive anything healthy, you must not know history

So nobody remembers government cheese, canned beef and chicken, and worse powdered milk (that sometimes had cocaine in it)

The logistics would cost more than the “savings”

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
People just get really upset that poor people sometimes can eat steak or shrimp

It’s honestly hilarious

Steak isn’t even that expensive, people act like they are getting thousands on food stamps every month. Snap has actually decreased over the years while food cost rises.

It really goes back to poor people shouldn’t have nice things at all. Like they shouldn’t have cell phones or cable/internet. It’s a sad way of thinking for those more fortunate

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM

555 posts, read 617,213 times
i mean i grew up poor and in the hood and people selling their food stamps for cash or buying non food items was extremely common. i know they have placed restrictions on it these days, havent kept up with it exactly, but I know people still sell them for cash. So I like this idea... and perhaps this means they can get more food for their dollar since you eliminate the middle man?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
People just get really upset that poor people sometimes can eat steak or shrimp

It’s honestly hilarious

Steak isn’t even that expensive, people act like they are getting thousands on food stamps every month. Snap has actually decreased over the years while food cost rises
Seriously, steak is cheap as hell.

These people aren’t eating Kobe steak from Old Homestead Steakhouse.

Besides how do you even know what poor people buy with their food stamps? Do you follow them in the supermarket? Or do you just spout back everything you hear on biehbart and Fox News?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.
That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.
"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."
Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S. The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.
The administration didn't detail exactly how families would receive the food boxes, saying states could distribute them through existing infrastructure, partnerships or directly to residences through delivery services.
The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years, as well as improve the nutritional value of the program and reduce the potential for fraud, according to the administration.

Consumer advocates, however, questioned whether the federal government could save that much money by purchasing and distributing food on its own. Also, they were concerned that families would not know what food they would get in advance nor have any choice regarding what they receive. Plus, it could be difficult for families to pick up the box, especially if they don't have a car.

"It's a risky scheme that threatens families' ability to put food on the table," said Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style - Feb. 12, 2018
It will be the end of bodegas.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM

85 posts, read 154,179 times
The elusive welfare queen with the Cadillac in the parking lot, standing online at the checkout with a big, live lobster under each arm, still exists huh?

What are all the bootstrappers going to say in 10 years after 70% of the nation's trillion+ dollars of student loans are in default, the pension bubble has popped, and automation has changed the face of work forever? Are people still going to get their underwear in a knot over some poor people squandering the limited amount of "free" money they get on shellfish? It'll be sad, but still kinda funny, hearing the former "welfare queen villain" types start making arguments about how a universal basic income is necessary in 20 years...when wearing diapers at your Amazon warehouse job is commonplace because bathroom breaks are no longer a legal requirement.

I swear, every Christmas eve for the entirety of my life, my Uncle tells us that "on my way over here I stopped at a store, the lady in front of me was buying tons of shrimp and steaks. paid with FOODSTAMPS. I saw her getting into a LEXUS, parked in the handicap spot, on the way out!" Update food stamps for EBT and repeat ad nauseam

the fact that steak, cadillacs and cell phones are all still indicators of "rolling in the dough" in 2018 to these welfare queen types shows how out of touch with reality they really are. "WHY SHOULD THEY GET A CELL PHONE!??!" "IF YOU'RE ON WELFARE IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO OWN A TELEVISION. YOU SHOULD BE WORKING INSTEAD!" lmao...jesus christ. maybe some day those witless dolts will figure out they share more of a common enemy with the welfare-poor than they think, and realize that we're basically all F--ked

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Trump is not playing. He will be doing more and more budget cuts on programs, yet cutting programs will not stop federal deficit to lower the money it's spending. Due to looming possibility of conflict with the eastern world, most notably Russia North Korea, china and Iran. Dumbocrats and republitards agreed to an increase military spending budget. Koch brothers sure got to Trump fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City