Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:31 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Trump is not playing. He will be doing more and more budget cuts on programs, yet cutting programs will not stop federal deficit to lower the money it's spending. Due to looming possibility of conflict with the eastern world, most notably Russia North Korea, china and Iran. Dumbocrats and republitards agreed to an increase military spending budget. Koch brothers sure got to Trump fast.
Something is going on big, I know people in the military that can’t say a word about where they are being deployed to

We are going to war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM

85 posts, read 154,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Something is going on big, I know people in the military that can’t say a word about where they are being deployed to

We are going to war
yup, our military never gets enough money. even though we spend more than the next 9 countries under us, combined. I think the show of force parade that the president wants to do, which will cost upwards of $15 million, seems like a great use of some of that money. Usually meant to signify the end of a war, or to celebrate a holiday or milestone, having an expensive show-off-our-military parade right now seems very reasonable

no "came to do good, stayed to do well" career politician in their right mind would want the optics of "not supporting the troops" by voting for, or asking for, a decrease in our over-bloated military spending. They've sold "support our contractor friends and sweetheart deals" as "support our security! support the troops!"

It's ridiculous...

Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM

931 posts, read 801,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.
That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.
"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."
Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S. The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.
The administration didn't detail exactly how families would receive the food boxes, saying states could distribute them through existing infrastructure, partnerships or directly to residences through delivery services.
The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years, as well as improve the nutritional value of the program and reduce the potential for fraud, according to the administration.

Consumer advocates, however, questioned whether the federal government could save that much money by purchasing and distributing food on its own. Also, they were concerned that families would not know what food they would get in advance nor have any choice regarding what they receive. Plus, it could be difficult for families to pick up the box, especially if they don't have a car.

"It's a risky scheme that threatens families' ability to put food on the table," said Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style - Feb. 12, 2018

I don't know what you people are complaining about, this is a great idea! Don't let your bias of Trump cloud your judgement.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 PM

532 posts, read 786,777 times
sounds good to me.
increase spending on military and feed the poor with crap, cut everything that can help the american people.
awesome. go trump. said the next dumb republican.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
I don't know what you people are complaining about, this is a great idea! Don't let your bias of Trump cloud your judgement.
It’s a horrible idea that isn’t new

They tried this in the 70s, I think it was Nixon.

They gave packages of government cheese (that had pork addictives), canned beef and powdered milk that the cartel used to smuggle cocaine in.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Elderly people on food stamps only get around $20. I think they should be allowed to spend it on whatever they want, their favorite cereal, coffee, a bag of potatoes, a frozen meal.

People have dietary restrictions too--diabetics can't eat much bread or pasta, for instance. You can't just give people a box of food with things they can't even eat.

The only thing I would ban from food stamps would be soda--no one needs that and it's not even a food. I don't consider it a food and it's not healthy for anyone. I think they already ban rotisserie chicken because it's a cooked meal. They should add soda to the ban but that's all.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Elderly people on food stamps only get around $20. I think they should be allowed to spend it on whatever they want, their favorite cereal, coffee, a bag of potatoes, a frozen meal.

People have dietary restrictions too--diabetics can't eat much bread or pasta, for instance. You can't just give people a box of food with things they can't even eat.

The only thing I would ban from food stamps would be soda--no one needs that and it's not even a food. I don't consider it a food and it's not healthy for anyone. I think they already ban rotisserie chicken because it's a cooked meal. They should add soda to the ban but that's all.

And they will be able to. This will only affect people that get 90 dollars or more in food stamps.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM

954 posts, read 938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
The elusive welfare queen with the Cadillac in the parking lot, standing online at the checkout with a big, live lobster under each arm, still exists huh?

What are all the bootstrappers going to say in 10 years after 70% of the nation's trillion+ dollars of student loans are in default, the pension bubble has popped, and automation has changed the face of work forever? Are people still going to get their underwear in a knot over some poor people squandering the limited amount of "free" money they get on shellfish? It'll be sad, but still kinda funny, hearing the former "welfare queen villain" types start making arguments about how a universal basic income is necessary in 20 years...when wearing diapers at your Amazon warehouse job is commonplace because bathroom breaks are no longer a legal requirement.

I swear, every Christmas eve for the entirety of my life, my Uncle tells us that "on my way over here I stopped at a store, the lady in front of me was buying tons of shrimp and steaks. paid with FOODSTAMPS. I saw her getting into a LEXUS, parked in the handicap spot, on the way out!" Update food stamps for EBT and repeat ad nauseam

the fact that steak, cadillacs and cell phones are all still indicators of "rolling in the dough" in 2018 to these welfare queen types shows how out of touch with reality they really are. "WHY SHOULD THEY GET A CELL PHONE!??!" "IF YOU'RE ON WELFARE IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO OWN A TELEVISION. YOU SHOULD BE WORKING INSTEAD!" lmao...jesus christ. maybe some day those witless dolts will figure out they share more of a common enemy with the welfare-poor than they think, and realize that we're basically all F--ked
Bravo! I cannot rep this enough. One of the best post I’ve seen on city data. Everything is a waste of money and huge burden until YOU need it. Check out the news sometime. Companies like amazon are changing the face of Business as we know it. The American worker will have some insane challenges over the next 20 Years.

You never know; you one day may need some of these programs you demonize.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
There's already meal delivery service for the disabled here in NYC and just like food banks. I always see those people on the street or subways collecting money to feed the homeless as a huge scam. We don't have a food shortage here.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM

46 posts, read 63,810 times
Disgusting. They act like food stamp recipients don't have standards and can't pick their own food. This is so degrading. He doesn't even want to provide fresh fruits and vegetables, just canned. They have the audacity to compare this to Apron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City