Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 AM

47 posts, read 270,896 times

Advertisements

I went to Morris Park for an interview at Jacobi and can vouch that it's a nice non-ghetto residential area. I would expect the OP to feel comfortable there. It probably would help to keep the car though if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperMario...by asking those questions you demonstrate your profound lack of knowledge of the Bronx. As such, you should learn more about the borough that you spend so much time commenting about. Furthermore, anyone that believes there is NO positives about the Bronx either does not know anything about he Bronx, is biased in some way, or just jaded/bitter. Either way, Ace Rock's posts, as a result, are useless and are JUST baseless comments and should be ignored...he does not in fact have anything of any value to contribute.
Please, like you knew.

You're quick to dismiss anybody who disagrees with you. You come out too pompous at times. If he believes that is so, then so be it. But who are you to say that he lost all his credibility on this forum. Speak for yourself. I actually see that as a possible answer as well. The Bronx doesn't offer a whole lot at it's current state. Oops did I just lose credibility lol.

The fact is the Bronx is about 85% (?) Hispanic and Black. What other borough can make the same claim. The Bronx PALES in diversity to Queens. And while Manhattan and Brooklyn are as segregated, they have more ethnicities in their borough.

It's the least desirable borough for reasons other than crime.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
I am not quick to dismiss anyone...I encourage people to comment so that we can have REASONABLE discussions. However, anyone that dismisses an ENTIRE BOROUGH of NYC as ZERO positives cannot be viewed as reasonable or rationale, and they clearly have some sort of agenda against the borough. Thus their posts/comments should be viewed as such; the opinion of an irrational/illogical person that has either no knowledge of the borough other than what they hear/read, or an unnatural/unnormal disdain for the borough that clouds their judgement and opinions. As a result, their comments must be dismissed as useless just like if I were to state ONLY the positives of Mott Haven and assert there were NO negatives...that would be equally ludicrous, pointless and laughable..and you would be the first I am sure to dismiss such a silly, illogical, biased assessment as bogus and pointless.

And yes I do speak for myself, however I implore others to consider the value of an opinion when someone can dismiss the Bronx as ZERO positives...clearly their opinion is severely biased and just plain dumb/pointless...and it should be pointed out as such. In my opinion, Ace rock's posts are now seen for what they are...jaded/bitter illogical posts. How can they not be?

Yes the Bronx is 85% Hispanic and Black...some might consider that diverse when 75% of the rest of the country is ONLY white. Yes the Bronx is less diverse than other boroughs...great. However I disagree that it is in fact the least desireable borough...that is YOUR opinion. I contend that it is FAR more desireable than Staten Island, Brooklyn AND Queens, but then again..that is MY opinion. We shall agree to disagree.

What borough has the most parkland and the largest park in the city? Bronx. What borough has the oldest and most storied baseball team? Bronx. What borough has arguably the best Zoo in the country? Bronx. What borough has the most affordable housing in the city? Bronx. What borough has the most universities and educational instituitions? Bronx. What borough has the the top tier private schools in the city, and nation for that matter? Bronx. Just a few off the top of my head....so IMO the Bronx IS more desireable than you give it credit for.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Please, like you knew.

You're quick to dismiss anybody who disagrees with you. You come out too pompous at times. If he believes that is so, then so be it. But who are you to say that he lost all his credibility on this forum. Speak for yourself. I actually see that as a possible answer as well. The Bronx doesn't offer a whole lot at it's current state. Oops did I just lose credibility lol.

The fact is the Bronx is about 85% (?) Hispanic and Black. What other borough can make the same claim. The Bronx PALES in diversity to Queens. And while Manhattan and Brooklyn are as segregated, they have more ethnicities in their borough.

It's the least desirable borough for reasons other than crime.
Actually if you count SI. If you want to count it, since we can all agree it's another world out there. It's like 40% Italian. That's just one ethnicity. So I would assume SI is not very diverse at all.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Yeah but the Italians are mainly concentrated on the middle and southern parts of Staten Island. I've been there a handful of times, and its like visiting an episode of the Sopranos, but in person lol.

Northern Staten Island is pretty mixed up.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM

75 posts, read 92,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitguy View Post
Hey Guys:

So this is the story--I matched into a program for residency located in the Bronx (183rd/3rd) and now I am moving to NYC without a clue! I have been doing research about housing, costs of living, etc, but it's confusing. I am hoping that some of you can give me some tips, especially those familiar with the Bronx, before I make my big move. Some info about me: I will be making around 45,000/yr and currently am single. No other financial burdens at this point in my life. Relatively social person, like the city life but asthetics, cleanliness and enviorment are important for me to thrive. I come from Michigan, lived in the comfortable confines of white suburbia, cost of living is pretty cheap here--I know it's gonna be a big change! Most of my time in NYC will be dedicated to work.

These are a few questions I have:

1. What kind of life can I expect to live making 45k per/yr living in NYC?

2. What other things should I figure into my budget that I may be missing? Cost of parking (if I bring my vehicle)? What else? Using the transit system?

3. What areas of the Bronx are safe to live in other than Riverdale and are relatively inexpensive (less than 1000k/mnth lets say)? Is it inevitable that with my salary that I may need to get a roomie?

4. What areas outside the Bronx can I live in and comfortably commute to work from? I know that Wsh hts is relatively close. Some have recommened Inwood, Yonkers, Weschester county (maybe too far) Anywhere else? I am hoping commute time is less than 25m-30m each way every day.

5. What areas would I need to have a vehicle in order to commute? What areas really don't require a vehicle?

6. What can be said about 183rd/3rd area? Is it safe to live around there?

7. Other than craig's list, are there any other recommened sites that can be used to find housing?

8. A big part of my life is my health. I know there are 2 Bally's in the bronx. Are they pretty nice places to work out at? How about fresh produce? Is is easy to get to a meijers or some other grocery markets from the bronx without a terrible commute or waiting over 1 or 2 wks to do my major shopping?

I know I am missing other questions that will probably come up later.
Thanks guys in advance for your help!!

---
A Confused Soul
Parkchester is a decent place to live. Its close to the 6 train (take it express), Express bus to manhattan. There is a NY Sports club that just opened up in the area. The rent is a good price (about 750-850 for a 1 br). The only down side is that there is no parking.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Another downside about Parkchester is that during non-rush hour times it can take awhile to get into the city via the 6 train.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 158,143 times
With a 45K income, I would check out the Woodlawn section of teh Bronx because it is very inexpensive and safe, lots of familes. It is a predominantly Irish neighborhood. You can rent a flat in a house for very little.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
flat? This isn't Ireland or the UK. In this country we call them apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl View Post
With a 45K income, I would check out the Woodlawn section of teh Bronx because it is very inexpensive and safe, lots of familes. It is a predominantly Irish neighborhood. You can rent a flat in a house for very little.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Easy now Mead...who cares that she called them flat...we all understood what she said. Don't be so stereotypical American...this is a global internet system after all. There is room for apts, flats, or whatever else people call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City