Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM

47 posts, read 270,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I thought of the Prospect Av or even 25th St area, though it's not much different from Bay Ridge in that you need to take the R to the D. The M does run to Ft. Ham and 50th St, but only at limited times. Check the schedules carefully.
Ooh, I didn't know that. Being a local train I thought the M would go there continuously. Thanks for the warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emroyka View Post
Ooh, I didn't know that. Being a local train I thought the M would go there continuously. Thanks for the warning.
Yeah. It's only running between something like 7 to 10 AM and 3:30 to 7 PM. The MTA site has subway schedules with more precise information. It's unfortunate.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Anything along the "D" train will be good especially closer to Bensonhurst / Bath Beach. The rents are affordable. Parking sucks. Stores are eyerywhere, you can get anything. Neighborhoods are quiet at night for the most part, and safe. There are no clubs, bars or any nightlife what so ever. The train will get you into the city in 45 minutes as well.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
Trust me...
My wife did rotations in Maimonides, she is now transferring (second year Peds) to Staten Island. My 2 y/o son was born in Maimonides. It’s a great hospital.
Do you have a car?? Bay Ridge is a great place, and really safe.
If you live near the last stop, 95th, you will always have your pick of car and your pick of seat. You will be getting out of residency like around 8-9 pm,, you will have no problem with the R train. The only problem with the R train is after 12 am, you usually have to wait 15 min to 20 min for the train.

If you have a car, I suggest you use it, take Fort Hamilton Parkway and that’s it. It will take you 10 min by car. But I have a question, doesn’t Maimonides has a residency building or house staff housing? I remember them having one. You should check it out, they are usually really cheap. And I mean cheap.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM

47 posts, read 270,923 times
Well, as it turned out I didn't get the subsidized housing. At least the $200 stipend should come in handy and net me up to $1400 rent.

I'd have gone for South Slope but I'm not convinced it's worth it now, especially with the M being rush hour only. So I'm seriously thinking of Bay Ridge close to the subway station in the upper 70's, where I can hopefully get a nice 1 bedroom as opposed to studio. One thing I forgot to mention is I'll have a few rotations at both Coney Island and Lutheran Hospital too, and there's easy transport from Bay Ridge to both those places (the B4 bus goes straight to Coney). I visited one day on a Sunday and the commute to Manhattan wasn't as bad as I feared, not enough to keep me home anyway.

Any other input or suggestions? I'm meeting with realtors next week...

Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
There is NO WAY you should have to end up in a studio if you have $1400 a month to spend. You'll be happy you didn't get the subsidized housing.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM

215 posts, read 771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not familiar with Dyker Heights, but Bay Ridge is very nice and $1200 will almost definitely get you a nice studio there. I would avoid living in Boro park itself.

As for reassurance - you will be fine on your salary and I think you'll find a nice place! a few other people on this board have recently looked for apts in bay ridge - maybe you could do a search and read their impressions.
I'm a huge fan of Bay Ridge. If I ever move back to NYC I'm going to go right back to that nieghborhood.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 935 times
hi where did you end up moving can you please help? I'm looking for a place near Maimonides myself :'(

Old 04-23-2015, 06:02 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
OP would have long finished residency by now.
Area has changed too.
Chinese part of Sunset Park probably has cheap rent and relative safety, and in walking distance to Maimo.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
OP would have long finished residency by now.
Area has changed too.
Chinese part of Sunset Park probably has cheap rent and relative safety, and in walking distance to Maimo.
I'm even surprised she was having trouble with $1400 to spend monthly in that area. I used to work over there at a surgery center last year and the rents for a 1 bedroom were around 15-1700. I'm pretty sure they were significantly lower 7 years ago. Bensonhurst/Brighton Beach/Borough Park/Midwood/Dyker is one of those sections in Brooklyn that still have that old school vibe and haven't been hit by the hipness yet... thankfully. Like any neighborhood in the city, rents have increased big time in the last few years but that area I can't imagine having increased as much as other neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City