Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yes except the Bronx has a super large Dominican, Rican and Mexican population and then it’s a huge dip for other Hispanic groups (Ecuador and Honduran) which is why Queens gets the edge here.

Also many of the Hondurans in the Bronx are Garifuna. I’m pretty sure they consider themselves black before anything similar to the Panamanians that live in Brooklyn. I know lots of Hondurans live in Tremont but that’s about it!
I know there's a huge dip for Ecuadorians and Hondurans, but in turn there's a big dip from PR/DR to Mexican. I was surprised when I found out how large the Mexican population is, though. My friend lives in Longwood and she's Mexican, and she says her whole building is Mexicans. She also said that she knows a lot of Ecuadorians and Hondurans, so I figured they had a sizable presence in that area.

Oh and Bushwick has a diverse Hispanic population too. Large amounts of PRs, DRs, Mexicans, Ecuadorians at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
The 7 line has to be the most diverse of all the subway line! When I was in High School, my zone school spoke 137 languages.

Brooklyn is the second city, has a larger Jewish community, a larger African American community, larger Italian community than Queens. More subway lines run through Brooklyn. Brooklyn has the worse highway of the 5 boros, which is that dreaded BQE (despise it). Brooklyn has the ship yards. The infamous Coney Island Broadwalk.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
Quote:
Yes except the Bronx has a super large Dominican, Rican and Mexican population and then it’s a huge dip for other Hispanic groups (Ecuador and Honduran) which is why Queens gets the edge here.

Also many of the Hondurans in the Bronx are Garifuna. I’m pretty sure they consider themselves black before anything similar to the Panamanians that live in Brooklyn. I know lots of Hondurans live in Tremont but that’s about it!
I thought South Bronx was mostly Puerto Ricans

Old 02-19-2018, 04:51 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
It is a mix of PRs, DRs, Mexicans, African-Americans, and others

Old 02-19-2018, 05:35 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
I was going to say Queens is very sprawl lol.

But since we are talking subways I will say Brooklyn has a Downrown while Queens seems to have several hubs like Jamaica, Flushing, Elmhurst etc.
Brooklyn like Manhattan used to be a separate city whereas Queens was made of many small villages/towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Jackson Heights seems to have more South Americans than Mexicans.
Jackson Heights is also the center of the Indian (from India) population of NYC.

Quote:
Weird post. Queens doesn’t give me a third world vibe at all. I honestly don’t understand your post since the people who take the subway in Queens are often coming and going from Manhattan
I agree Queens isn't like a third world at all especially since I have visited a few 3rd countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
The 7 line has to be the most diverse of all the subway line! When I was in High School, my zone school spoke 137 languages.
I think that Queens is considered the most ethnically diverse "city" in the USA along the 7 subway line.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times
Astoria, Queens, NY has influx of hipsters for some time now!

Old 02-19-2018, 04:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Queens has many very densely populated neighborhoods. Woodside, Jackson Heights, Flushing, Corona, Astoria, Elmhurst, etc. compete with Brooklyn level of density in my opinion.
I'd say that the most dense Queens neighborhoods are more dense than the most dense Brooklyn neighborhoods. For example, Sunset Park and Bushwick don't seem as close to as dense as Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, or Downtown Flushing.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Brooklyn keeps creatin it, and Queens keeps on fakin it!
That track ended KRS' career. Getting bucked on the strip ended Brooklyn's creatin it days. Now you have "creatives" from middle America that you worship as "cool."

Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
I know there's a huge dip for Ecuadorians and Hondurans, but in turn there's a big dip from PR/DR to Mexican. I was surprised when I found out how large the Mexican population is, though. My friend lives in Longwood and she's Mexican, and she says her whole building is Mexicans. She also said that she knows a lot of Ecuadorians and Hondurans, so I figured they had a sizable presence in that area.

Oh and Bushwick has a diverse Hispanic population too. Large amounts of PRs, DRs, Mexicans, Ecuadorians at least.
Similar story in Western Flatbush. My cousin building on Foster went from all Haitian to all Mexican!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Maybe they are the largest but African Americans and Dominicans have been two very large groups there for many decades.

There are more Africans and Mexicans in the mix also now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City