U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 07:12 AM

56 posts, read 68,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsjets413 View Post
As far as uniforms, donít go crazy and buy everything sanitation in the store. Buy the required uniform package, few extra pants/shirts. Boots can be bought anywhere so do some research for cheaper prices. Gloves can be found at any safety supply store/ work store.

In my opinion, donít buy the hi biz shirts. The shirts shrink after a few weeks and theyíre hot as **** in the summer. Buy the dark green and wear the safety vest they give you. Buy one of each and test it out yourself. Also, in the winter time you can wear whatever you want underneath your hoodie so I wouldnít waste money on long sleeve shirts. Just my opinion but you will figure this all out on your own.
Thanks for the advice itís much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 PM

458 posts, read 496,325 times
Unless you gonna wear the hi vis hoodie on the outside you can wear any green hoodie underneath a high vis t shirt. Way cheaper option then the $50 sanitation hoodie. I got rubber mechanics gloves to wear under my rubber glove because of the size of my hands. The cloth insert makes it impossible to get o. And off. Just my opinion. Good pair of muck boots for the rain if you donít want to spend a lot on waterproof boots. The rain gear gets very hot. I wear The pants with just boxers underneath but if you donít mind being soaked you donít need to get them. If you do any safety store will have them for about $20.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 AM

21 posts, read 25,005 times
You’ll need multiple pairs of boots, and as many pants and shirts as you can afford. You’ll get dirty soaking wet from weather and sweat a ton. Paycheck will be low so try to add a piece of clothing every week and build.
I’ve bought Skechers boots 2 for 89 and orange safety gloves 3 for 10 at a safety store and had no issues at all. But it’s all up to you.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 12,172 times
I have a question or two maybe three. Can you buy any green pants? Like dickies or what not as long as they don't have pockets on the side. Also does everything you wear as in shirts or jackets have to have a sanitation logo on it. And the vests they give you or do you have to biy them? I can afford any package but at the same time I don't want to purchase things i'm not going to wear! I wear more slim fit to skinny type clothing. Not really into loose fit clothing. Anyone care to let me know where should I head to?

Old 10-14-2018, 03:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,451,590 times

Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM

36 posts, read 47,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH212 View Post
I have a question or two maybe three. Can you buy any green pants? Like dickies or what not as long as they don't have pockets on the side. Also does everything you wear as in shirts or jackets have to have a sanitation logo on it. And the vests they give you or do you have to biy them? I can afford any package but at the same time I don't want to purchase things i'm not going to wear! I wear more slim fit to skinny type clothing. Not really into loose fit clothing. Anyone care to let me know where should I head to?
Only the green pants they sell at the uniform store are acceptable dress code. Guys wear dickies, but you can receive a complaint for it.

Everything you wear must have the DSNY logo on it except for rain gear.

At FBF, they require a receipt from you by the end of your first week, showing that you bought the requires uniform package.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 AM

21 posts, read 20,800 times
Word is october class is at 120+ people now.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,428 times
My first time posting on here, Iím 4997 on the list, do i have a chance of getting called in the up coming classes? I was called for the physical test (see what i canít lift) in June of 2017 and passed. Thanks for any information!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM

804 posts, read 615,622 times
Look for online the Dickies 874 model, in Lincoln Green.
Do get good work boots. The timberland with the "anti fatigue" sole are phenomenal.
Do get a good pair of warm rubber boots for the snow and rain. Baffin makes a great boot in Canada . Get the Hunter model. Your feet will be warm an dry all day. https://www.baffin.com/

Old 10-16-2018, 09:27 AM

174 posts, read 236,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiee87 View Post
My first time posting on here, Iím 4997 on the list, do i have a chance of getting called in the up coming classes? I was called for the physical test (see what i canít lift) in June of 2017 and passed. Thanks for any information!
Yes you have a chance. But no one knows when that will be. Do yourself a favor and get your cdl license on your own. That will put you in a great position to get this job. Because when they start calling numbers off the list they call people who already have their cdl's and skip over the people who do not have their cdl's. And don't have any outstanding tickets. Pay them all if you have open tickets. Got it? And this year is probably done with classes. But maybe next year for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City