Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times

Advertisements

I’ve been to both places, so I feel I am able to make this comparison.

Aside from the obvious difference that NYC has with European cities, NYC is more dense with many more skyscrapers and everything including roads are bigger (then again everything in the United States feels bigger) I feel nyc still has a European feel to it, that I can’t completely describe in words. NYC really does feel London. Paris doesn’t feel like NYC too much. Amsterdam, maybe.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:56 AM

12,740 posts, read 8,157,945 times
New York reminds me of Montréal, but without the French and without the cleanliness. I also think of Milan at times, but Milan is MUCH smaller than New York City.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,923,562 times
London is not part of Europe...

Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM

295 posts, read 278,575 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks New York City feels like Europe, particularly London?
No, I sometimes think of NYC as a European outpost of sorts. IMO it’s its own thing though, doesn’t strike me as being particularly like London (been there a couple of times, but not for long).

Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
NYC is nothing like the European cities have been too. Nothing at all......................

European cities have some really old buildings in historical sites and some really old streets built long before there were cars. Most of the streets in NYC are comparatively NEW, as are most of the buildings (built in the 20th century). Though there are a lot of new buildings in European cities, there are a lot of centuries old buildings in any European major city.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times
I don't feel NYC is similar to any city in Europe or UK. Granted I haven't been to them all but they ones I have been to.
NYC is doesn't have the old day charm, it more crowded, more dirty, ruder people, more modern, etc etc etc.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:32 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,655,664 times
Not at all. I have lived extensively in Europe. NYC is not like any European city. Closest to me would be Milan; Milan is sort of like an Italian NYC. Both are dirty and chaotic lol

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,766,348 times
I've only been to London and Paris, but London is definitely more on NYC's level.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC is nothing like the European cities have been too. Nothing at all......................

European cities have some really old buildings in historical sites and some really old streets built long before there were cars. Most of the streets in NYC are comparatively NEW, as are most of the buildings (built in the 20th century). Though there are a lot of new buildings in European cities, there are a lot of centuries old buildings in any European major city.
You need to look around then. Plenty of old buildings here in NYC... NYC was built primarily by the Dutch so to say that there are no European similarities is absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Not at all. I have lived extensively in Europe. NYC is not like any European city. Closest to me would be Milan; Milan is sort of like an Italian NYC. Both are dirty and chaotic lol
I agree. Milan is a "piccolo New York" as I used to call it when I would go up there (I lived in Northern Italy but traveled all over). It is very walkable and in fact you don't need to use the "pullman" or trams. I don't think of Milan as dirty or chaotic though. That title goes to Naples, mainly because of the mafia. The minute you step out of the train station it's pure hell.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
London is not part of Europe...
It isn't part of the European Union, but it is definitely European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City