Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

28 posts, read 215,310 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out the main PRO'S and CON'S of Park Slope...

We are late 20's professional couple and are looking into buying an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM

395 posts, read 490,434 times
pro: it is safe and short commute manhattan.

con: high housing price...same as you would to buy/rent in manhattan. and finding space to park.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Are there any parking garages in P-Slope?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
Are there any parking garages in P-Slope?
of course man!!! if not u can always rent from someone who has a house and has an indoor or outdoor garage for like $200-$300/month.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM

How is this location: 14th and Prospect Park West... Is it more ideal to be center slope or not a big deal. Any insights? Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 25,042 times
Default park slope nice

I lived on the edge of the south slope (14th and 7th ave vicinity) for several years with my husband (late 20s couple too). I didn't mind at all being on the edge. Nice to be near the movie theater and park and there are plenty of eateries etc on that end too. Park slope is a great area to be in when you are in the in-between stage of settling down before kids. Plenty of bars etc. Some good bookshops. Food coop. Lots of creative professional people. Of course it is baby central too so if you have kids you are set.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
How is this location: 14th and Prospect Park West... Is it more ideal to be center slope or not a big deal. Any insights? Thanks.
I lived right near there as well. There is a large garage at 11th and 8th Av, not sure of availability. It's a great area, and I liked it a lot. I actually preferred it to being in the center Slope. Less pretentious and more direct subway access. The one drawback is that the F is slow, and it takes more stops to get to the city as it's running local. When I lived at the other end, nearer to Atlantic/Pacific, the train situation was much better.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Pros: Beautiful historic area with well maintained brownstones. Great bars, restaurants, shops and just about anything else you would need within walking distance. Right near Prospect Park.

Cons: PRICE!!! Park Slope is getting to be comparable to Manhattan pricewise. The F train is not the greatest train in the world but if you are towards the northern end of the neighborhood you have a ton of train options.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 AM

I agree Prices are comparable to Manhattan but for the price you do get alot more space.

Do people commute to Midtown normally from P-Slope?

Park Slope seems to be the best spot in Brooklyn.

I do like B-Heights but there is nothing of great quality available under $500k and maintenance charges are out of control and seems to be the same with Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM

i won't say park slope, brooklyn height, boerum/clinton/cobble hill are thethe best area in brooklyn. if you consider it the best cuz it is the most expensive, then yes. but if u consider it the most bang for your bux...then no. there are other area in brooklyn that are more bangs for ur bux than park slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City