Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,167 times

Advertisements

I just got accepted into richmond terrace projects in staten island, can anyone tell me if they are safe for me and my family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
I've never been in any buildings but I've been around there a few times. It's a crappy housing project. Jersey Street is one of the worst streets in Staten Island. Starting with the Sanitation garage at the bottom. Rat problem. Forget the crime.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Different views:

Surviving on jersey street | Narratively | Human stories, boldly told.

NYCHA project was my home

From gunplay to filming underage sex tapes, several 'Jersey Boys' suspects have storied criminal pasts on Staten Island (with photos) | SILive.com

Long story short Richmond Terrance Houses aren't on the level of say West Brighton, Arlington or Parkhill Houses, but are up there on many levels. If it were me I would *NEVER* let my children outside without adult supervision even to play in the parks/basketball courts on premises.

Jersey Street and that area of Richmond Terrance has been rough since the 1970's or so and only gotten worse. Some say increased NYPD presence and stepped up actions NYCHA have made the area better, but that might be only just.

Thing for you to do is take the ferry and bus (you could even walk from the terminal to RTH) and take a look around for yourself. I'd walk in and around the place and speak with other mothers/parents of children in the complex and hear what they have to say about things. That is the only way one should ever consider moving into any area/building IMHO regardless.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
Jersey street is very dangerous. Having been born and raised on SI, most wouldn't even set foot there. The article about how safe the projects there are is laughable, at best.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I avoid that area like the plague and I am legally armed 24/7. No sense taking chances. If you don't get the Berry Homes or South Beach (and even those are so-so), you're taking on a lot of risk.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I avoid that area like the plague and I am legally armed 24/7. No sense taking chances. If you don't get the Berry Homes or South Beach (and even those are so-so), you're taking on a lot of risk.
Agreed! And even those are not great. Wasn't there recently like two shootings in the Berry Homes?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM

503 posts, read 898,833 times
To be honest, if there isn't any other option and whatever living situation you're in now is extremely bad and in dire need of a change; you should consider. We don't know if you have kids or elders, but if it were me I wouldn't want them in that area... then again, If I am in a shelter and our property gets stolen and we have to deal with terrible things; I'd weigh my options. Choice is up to you but I hope you consider everyone's take and know it's ultimately, your family.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Agreed! And even those are not great. Wasn't there recently like two shootings in the Berry Homes?
I know of one recent shooting at the Berry's, but can't recall a second. I wouldn't doubt it though!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There are a few more on SI that aren't *so* bad. Todt Hill Houses may not be what they once were, but still are nice and the area is safe. Well compared to Jersey Street !

Also some of the senior NYCHA apartments on SI are quite nice as well, but that doesn't help the OP.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Quite honestly even Todt Hill houses as had problems with guns. That is simply how things roll in most if not all NYCHA developments today. It is the direct result of policies by the City which place certain elements in the places for a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery