Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 7,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How did I know??? Its the most in-your-face truck route that I know of personally

And I'm very familiar with the area too.
Christ. I am regretting this already and haven't even moved in yet.

I've run down Caton avenue before but never stuck around to realize how smelly and noisy it is.

Is it like that all night too? Guess I need to start saving up for my next broker fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:35 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undisclosedmisanthrope View Post
Christ. I am regretting this already and haven't even moved in yet.

I've run down Caton avenue before but never stuck around to realize how smelly and noisy it is.

Is it like that all night too? Guess I need to start saving up for my next broker fee.
Ahh man! You worried about trucks? Wait until Labor Day weekend! HaHa.

The funny thing is when I was a kid that was one of the worst parts of Brooklyn, certified. Parade Place - infamous, St Pauls, Crooke, Woodruff (ahh man), East 21st (big ahh man). East 19th (forget it!!!!!). Parkside Ave.....wow.....that whole area was super dangerous back in the 1980s-1990s.

Now everybody who lives there owns a nice fluffy dog

Wait until Labor Day weekend tho, don't plan on sleeping that weekend.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 PM

LOL.... no seriously does it quiet down at all at night? Should I get those inner acrylic sound proofing windows?

I live next to the Q subway now on Marlborough Rd but my bedroom faces the street, not the tracks. On Caton it will face the street. Can't imagine sleeping in the back of this old wooden house like the apt units downstairs.

In terms of celebration... we have a family on the block who practices for the West Indian Day Parade.. for a month straight they play until 2am or until a neighbor throws something into their yard. Didn't expect that in Ditmas Park where all the houses are owned by greying babyboomers.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
LOL.... no seriously does it quiet down at all at night? Should I get those inner acrylic sound proofing windows?

I live next to the Q subway now on Marlborough Rd but my bedroom faces the street, not the tracks. On Caton it will face the street. Can't imagine sleeping in the back of this old wooden house like the apt units downstairs.

In terms of celebration... we have a family on the block who practices for the West Indian Day Parade.. for a month straight they play until 2am or until a neighbor throws something into their yard. Didn't expect that in Ditmas Park where all the houses are owned by greying babyboomers.
I dont know exactly how quiet those blocks really are.

They look really quiet but I have no idea.

I'm familiar with that little area too. Didnt frequent over there as much as the "livelier" side tho

I would say stay if the rent is affordable

Its super convenient to the city

That Q train is a beast

what is it, like 5 stops to Canal?

Church, PP, 7Av, Barclay, Dekalb, Canal

Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I dont know exactly how quiet those blocks really are.

They look really quiet but I have no idea.

I'm familiar with that little area too. Didnt frequent over there as much as the "livelier" side tho

I would say stay if the rent is affordable

Its super convenient to the city

That Q train is a beast

what is it, like 5 stops to Canal?

Church, PP, 7Av, Barclay, Dekalb, Canal
It's a rent stabilized apt so rent is cheaper than average and the apt has been renovated. It didn't occur to me that truckers avoid Church Ave in favor of Caton even if they're not doing local deliveries. Some days Caton seems quiet but the other day when I gave my deposit I saw truck after truck lined up at the stop light.

Leaving my current apt because my landlord is nuts and I spent the last year waking up every night in the winter because the crazy landlord shuts the heat at night....

Literally just looking for a place to get some sleep :-/

Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It's a rent stabilized apt so rent is cheaper than average and the apt has been renovated. It didn't occur to me that truckers avoid Church Ave in favor of Caton even if they're not doing local deliveries. Some days Caton seems quiet but the other day when I gave my deposit I saw truck after truck lined up at the stop light.

Leaving my current apt because my landlord is nuts and I spent the last year waking up every night in the winter because the crazy landlord shuts the heat at night....

Literally just looking for a place to get some sleep :-/
I dont know what to tell you, its either search harder (along with doing more research), or get used to the noise. I think you should just get used to the noise. Start cursing out each truck as it goes by, you'll feel more like a New Yorker. And it makes good conversation over Thanksgiving dinner back home.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I dont know what to tell you, its either search harder (along with doing more research), or get used to the noise. I think you should just get used to the noise. Start cursing out each truck as it goes by, you'll feel more like a New Yorker. And it makes good conversation over Thanksgiving dinner back home.
Back home? Oh so you mean Brooklyn, where I've been all my life.

Looks like the main issue is nobody is enforcing that Caton is for local deliveries but because it comes before Church Ave, trucks don't wait for the next turn.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Back home? Oh so you mean Brooklyn, where I've been all my life.

Looks like the main issue is nobody is enforcing that Caton is for local deliveries but because it comes before Church Ave, trucks don't wait for the next turn.
My bad

If these are the types of things that worry you, IMO then you have nothing to worry about

Carry on

Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
My bad

If these are the types of things that worry you, IMO then you have nothing to worry about

Carry on
All the transplants and rich people have eliminated most of the traditional concerns native New Yorker would have except bed bugs, roaches, and mice.

I knew a sucker who was paying 3k for a studio to live with a family of mice that ran on him while he slept .

You can pay a lot less if you want to share your bed with mice.

Sooo.. bed bugs, roaches, mice, and noise pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City