Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If the number of Thai restaurants within walking distance is the measure of gentrification, then yes, it is fully gentrified. There are 8 Thai places that I can walk to in under 10 minutes.

The price of real estate is high. Typical one bedroom price $400 to 450K, 2 bedroom $600K to $750K. Some coop apartments in the special landmark buildings are over a million. Rentals are on par with many other Queens neighborhoods ($1600 for studio, $1900 for one bedroom, $2400 for 2 bedroom). But gentrified...it's hard to say. I'm not really sure how to evaluate it.

When this place opens in a few weeks I think the gentrification game is on! Support – The Queensboro in Jackson Heights

But I just don't think Target is anything special as far as gentrifying forces go. In fact, the Rite Aids and Duane Reades which are already all over the place, probably have much higher prices than Target. So perhaps it's actually an ANTI GENTRIFYING force.
What if the area is actually a Thai enclave? I'm sure there are plenty of lower income Thai immigrants in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I find the idea that Hispanic neighborhoods can't have anything nice is pretty offensive. Not that Target is super nice or anything. And on that note, I bet many lower income Hispanic immigrants would shop there. I see a lot of them shop at the Walmart in Uniondale, which is pretty much the same thing as a Target.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
I was thinking that even East New York has a Target, and has had one for some years even before all this recent talk about real estate prices rising there.

But I shouldn't have used the word marginal. I am not sure what word to use. I just mean Targets in NYC are in areas that people don't think of as particularly well off...even if real estate prices are high.
The Target in ENY is easier to get to for more people from Howard Beach, Canarsie, and Marine Park than it is for those right there in ENY.

As I said, there is a Target in Forest Hills. There is also one in Fort Greene, Malba, Downtown Flushing, and Tribeca. None of which are affordable areas by any means. Other than that you have them in Flatbush and Elmhurst--both very high volume non-ghetto gentrifying neighborhoods. You also have locations in East Harlem, Throgs Neck and ENY, which happen to have highways taking people right there.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Bronx haa 3 and they're either in or close to lower income areas
Highway, highway, and highway. Target is built off of the highway. Without Robert Moses there would be no Target.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The Target in ENY is easier to get to for more people from Howard Beach, Canarsie, and Marine Park than it is for those right there in ENY.

As I said, there is a Target in Forest Hills. There is also one in Fort Greene, Malba, Downtown Flushing, and Tribeca. None of which are affordable areas by any means. Other than that you have them in Flatbush and Elmhurst--both very high volume non-ghetto gentrifying neighborhoods. You also have locations in East Harlem, Throgs Neck and ENY, which happen to have highways taking people right there.
As I already stated, my position is that Targets do not gentrify neighborhoods.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:16 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
If the number of Thai restaurants within walking distance is the measure of gentrification, then yes, it is fully gentrified. There are 8 Thai places that I can walk to in under 10 minutes.
Bwahahahahaha

I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What if the area is actually a Thai enclave? I'm sure there are plenty of lower income Thai immigrants in the US
I guess the Thai restaurant comment was an inside joke between me and Seventh Floor...if it's possible to have inside jokes when all of our correspondence can be seen by anyone with internet access.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:21 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
I guess the Thai restaurant comment was an inside joke between me and Seventh Floor...if it's possible to have inside jokes when all of our correspondence can be seen by anyone with internet access.
Dont mind him, he be reaching sometimes

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
As I already stated, my position is that Targets do not gentrify neighborhoods.
Of course not. There is no reason for Target to concentrate on gentrifying neighborhoods. Frankly, there is more risk for them to open up shop in gentrifying neighborhoods because what if the neighborhood doesn't fully gentrify. They chose that location in Elmhurst/Jackson Heights due to the tremendous volume of foot traffic, and the density surrounding it.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I find the idea that Hispanic neighborhoods can't have anything nice is pretty offensive. Not that Target is super nice or anything. And on that note, I bet many lower income Hispanic immigrants would shop there. I see a lot of them shop at the Walmart in Uniondale, which is pretty much the same thing as a Target.
Yeah, I don't understand why the anti-gentrification activists are all over this, when the people they are trying to "protect" are all going to be flocking to this place once it opens. Why would you shop in a crappy 99 cent store (despite it being mom and pop owned, which the anti-gentrification people love) when you can get better merchandise and a more aesthetically pleasing shopping experience and either the same or lower prices at Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City