Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Jackson Heights (actually Elmhurst by 82nd St./Roosevelt) is about to get one of those small city-sized Targets, plus a building filled with "luxury" apartments, although I think we all know the word luxury doesn't actually mean luxury.

There is a group all up in arms about how this is gentrifying the neighborhood, and apparently this is a bad thing.

It seems to me there are Target stores in plenty of marginal (not well-off) areas already, so what's the big deal. They are also complaining that the affordable housing units in this new development will be for households making $61,000, and they want more for households making $44,000.

Does every single thing have to come with a protest?

https://www.timesledger.com/stories/...8_03_02_q.html
The Trojan Horse on 82nd Street | Queens Latino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Jackson Heights (actually Elmhurst by 82nd St./Roosevelt) is about to get one of those small city-sized Targets, plus a building filled with "luxury" apartments, although I think we all know the word luxury doesn't actually mean luxury.

There is a group all up in arms about how this is gentrifying the neighborhood, and apparently this is a bad thing.

It seems to me there are Target stores in plenty of marginal (not well-off) areas already, so what's the big deal. They are also complaining that the affordable housing units in this new development will be for households making $61,000, and they want more for households making $44,000.

Jackson Heights is already gentrified, no?
It's silly.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Never thought of Target as a gentrifying force . That's crazy.It's barely a step above Kmart. Sounds like the same people who think of Chipotle as a sign of gentrification. Also crazy.

There are 2 smaller( under 60 unit) "affordable" housing buildings going up in my neighborhood and people are protesting that they are not affordable enough for the same reason. Most of the units are geared toward $60,000 to $90,000 family income range with a smattering of $30,000 to $45,000.

The vast majority of "affordable" units around the city do seem to be geared for the under $45,000 income segment so I don't know why they complain when there are a few geared towards slightly higher incomes.. but they do.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Absolutely not, Target is a glorified Walmart and they can even be found in marginal neighborhoods like you said. I'm a liberal, but these anti-gentrification people are getting ridiculous.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Target goes after high volume spending ability. Not a bunch of make believe artists that are only provided enough money to cover overpriced rents. Nevertheless there are plenty of immigrants towards Junction Blvd that opted against education and will eventually be forced out to Suffolk county.

They also opened one of these type of Targets on Austin st in Forest Hills. Another high volume spending area. I don't see them rushing to Bushwick or Bed-Stuy.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Absolutely not, Target is a glorified Walmart and they can even be found in marginal neighborhoods like you said. I'm a liberal, but these anti-gentrification people are getting ridiculous.
What marginalized neighborhood without a highway exit has a Target?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Jackson Heights is already gentrified, no?
It's silly.
If the number of Thai restaurants within walking distance is the measure of gentrification, then yes, it is fully gentrified. There are 8 Thai places that I can walk to in under 10 minutes.

The price of real estate is high. Typical one bedroom price $400 to 450K, 2 bedroom $600K to $750K. Some coop apartments in the special landmark buildings are over a million. Rentals are on par with many other Queens neighborhoods ($1600 for studio, $1900 for one bedroom, $2400 for 2 bedroom). But gentrified...it's hard to say. I'm not really sure how to evaluate it.

When this place opens in a few weeks I think the gentrification game is on! http://thequeensboro.com/support/

But I just don't think Target is anything special as far as gentrifying forces go. In fact, the Rite Aids and Duane Reades which are already all over the place, probably have much higher prices than Target. So perhaps it's actually an ANTI GENTRIFYING force.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,164,508 times
Got the love the hypocrisy of the city they let target build stores here but not walmart!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I was thinking that even East New York has a Target, and has had one for some years even before all this recent talk about real estate prices rising there.

But I shouldn't have used the word marginal. I am not sure what word to use. I just mean Targets in NYC are in areas that people don't think of as particularly well off...even if real estate prices are high.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The Bronx haa 3 and they're either in or close to lower income areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City