Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times

Advertisements

to the original poster, if you knew this was the rule and you knew you like to smoke, (and thats fine, your an adult), but why wold you still want to move there?

that makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
Theres a no smoking rule in the affordable housing that I just moved in in brooklyn. I heard all the new affordable housing have a no smoking rule even in your own apartment

My question is does anyone smoke in there own affordable housing apartments regardless of the no smoking rule? If so how do you get away with it? Im talking about both weed and cigarettes. I would hate having to risk smoking weed outside

Another thing My building recently sent a email to everyone on my floor that residents complained that someone was smoking on my floor and that the hallways smelled like weed or cigarettes. It was basically a warning email to everyone on my floor reminding them that its no smoking and that they came to my floor and smelled it. They dont know who its and where it was coming from

How can they really enforce this rule and find out who it is? There is 30 apartments on my floor. The building has 15 floors and 500 apartments altogether.

I also found this link too https://www.emsl.com/News.aspx?newsid=1594

Does anyone know if affordable housing apartments use that kit? can it detect weed? Would it be able to detect a vape pen? Please let me know

I cant blow the smoke out the window cause my building has balconies and my window faces other residents windows

I got this apartment from nyc housing connect
Yes, they can enforce the rules.

Yes, they can find out who is smoking.

You signed a lease outlying the rules, terms and conditions of your tenancy. Violations can bring several actions by your LL.

Given this a RS apartment they would have to bring a holdover proceeding in housing court, but only after sending required formal notices that you cease and desist/correct violations.

Holdover proceedings like anything else involving NYC housing court can go either way but tend to be tenant friendly. Judge will often tell the offending party to correct/stop their bad behavior and not terminate lease/issue an eviction order *at once*. However I shouldn't count on this happening all the time and or in your situation.

It comes down to the judge, how the building/LL handled the matter. If you are sent proper notices to cease/quit/correct and still continue, *and* the LL can prove same; then you'll be hauled into housing court to defend your actions (why you failed to correct said violations).

Quite honestly there are nil to few reasons you can give to justify smoking in your apartment when specifically told it was against the rules from get go.

Stop being a low life and learn to live around decent people. You're bringing down all those who apply for such apartments by reinforcing a stereotype that they are "animals" who don't know how to live in nice buildings.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM

69 posts, read 78,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Most sensible people who live in no smoking buildings use weed vape cartridges and a mod box for smoking nicotine.

No smoke and no foul odors.
Thats the thing. The lease says no smoking cigarettes, cannabis, e-cigarettes and hookahs. How would they detect vape though? I haven't smoked anything in my new apartment. That's definitely a good suggestion you made though. If I do decide I guess I would vape so that way my neighbors won't have to smell it or anything

Apparently someone on my floor did smoke but I don't know it was because I wasn't home. I had stayed the night out and woke up in the morning and seen that email addressing everyone on my floor. The email said residents said the hallway smelled like marijuana or cigarettes. It never said which one it was exactly

Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM

377 posts, read 509,218 times
OP, do you not think about the harm your second hand smoke may be causing? I feel bad for your neighbors who will probably get cancer thanks to your second hand smoke. In my building, it took time, but management was able to pinpoint the culprit apartment. Two warning letters were issue to that unit and it remains to be seen as to what a third letter will dictate. I think you should move out of your apartment and go elsewhere so that you may continue to enjoy your smoking habit in the comfort of your own home. No one can take that away from you.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
No sympathy from me. You win a coveted housing lottery spot and move into a nice place that you KNOW has a no smoking rule and the first thing you’re trying to figure out is how to break the rules? Talk about entitlement...

Smoke outside or move.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,159 times
Personally I don't understand how these no smoking provisions in government-subsidized buildings are constitutional. A lot of research is being done as to whether or not they are.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
The "problem" with newer buildings are that they are well-ventilated. If you look up in certain areas of an individual apartment, and especially in the bathroom and kitchen, you'll see air vents. Smoke travels though those vents into other people's apartments. Personally, I don't smoke and I would be annoyed af if I smelled smoke in my own apartment.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:03 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times
Yo! just don't do it. If you have all these money for some 420 friendly stuff, you should not be living in these affordable housing. If you have money to kill your lung, then you should not be in the affordable housing. This is just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Now that you have a deluxe apartment in the sky don't stink it up with your cigarettes & weed. Clean up your act. Having to go outside to smoke may help you cut down to the point that you quit.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
The "problem" with newer buildings are that they are well-ventilated. If you look up in certain areas of an individual apartment, and especially in the bathroom and kitchen, you'll see air vents. Smoke travels though those vents into other people's apartments. Personally, I don't smoke and I would be annoyed af if I smelled smoke in my own apartment.
Yep. I live in a new condo building and we have major problems with smokers on some floors. The smell gets into neighborhoods apartments through vents. The problem is that you have people with children and/or breathing problems that are subjected to second hand smoke. Unlike other nuisances like barking dogs or loud music, second hand smoke is known to cause health problems. I have no problems with weed smokers and I even think it shouldn’t be legal, however you should not subject others to your habit. Smoke outside, away from others, or only in designated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: