Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times

Advertisements

my building is a regular apartment building. 3rd floor lady called police on 2nd floor lady for pot smoke, the police came, 2nd floor lady said "im not opening this door, im a cancer patient." (lie)

they went away.

the third floor lady called the police again, another day, the 2nd floor lady just didnt answer the door, they went away.

does our hallways smell like weed? hell yeah, but i go all the way up to the 4th floor and still smell it. I dont however smell it in my apartment.

now i have the young boy next to me smokes weed in the bathroom near the window, & next to thier bathroom window is my kitchen window, sometime it will blow it, i just close the window for the ten minutes...ugh, it doesnt upset me that much, and the boy and his family are nice people.....

but i do agree, the no smoking (of anything) in ones apartment is infringing on the tenants rights to live in their own apartment. I am a non smoker, but if i have company that smoke, i let them go in the bathroom and put the fan on exhaust out the window, i dont think its that big of a deal.

BTW, im friends with the second floor lady, I hate the third floor lady, but in her defence, she does have a toddler....

but like i think i had stated before, if you like to smoke weed, which is fine, serioulsy, everyone needs a little something something, I totally get it, you really should have moved to a regular apartment building as opposed to NYCHA.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM

186 posts, read 267,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, they can enforce the rules.

Yes, they can find out who is smoking.

You signed a lease outlying the rules, terms and conditions of your tenancy. Violations can bring several actions by your LL.

Given this a RS apartment they would have to bring a holdover proceeding in housing court, but only after sending required formal notices that you cease and desist/correct violations.

Holdover proceedings like anything else involving NYC housing court can go either way but tend to be tenant friendly. Judge will often tell the offending party to correct/stop their bad behavior and not terminate lease/issue an eviction order *at once*. However I shouldn't count on this happening all the time and or in your situation.

It comes down to the judge, how the building/LL handled the matter. If you are sent proper notices to cease/quit/correct and still continue, *and* the LL can prove same; then you'll be hauled into housing court to defend your actions (why you failed to correct said violations).

Quite honestly there are nil to few reasons you can give to justify smoking in your apartment when specifically told it was against the rules from get go.

Stop being a low life and learn to live around decent people. You're bringing down all those who apply for such apartments by reinforcing a stereotype that they are "animals" who don't know how to live in nice buildings.
This 100% agree !!!
you get this gift and you abuse it !
Holdover proceedings with lottery apartments, Judges are supposedly very strict with these buildings rules though i have no first hand experience only hearsay

Last edited by BklynDee; 07-09-2018 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 AM

186 posts, read 267,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
You was trying to be sarcastic but you actually right. The only way you can smoke in your own apartment is if you rich. This no smoking rule has got to be one of the dumbest rules I ever heard of. Telling people that they can’t smoke in there own apartment. They even trying to enforce this BS in Nycha too. You got people like livingsinglenyc that encourage this nonsense. Sounds like landlords are implying a form of martial law telling people what they can and can’t do in there own apartment? The sad part is that the majority of nyc apartments are like this now smh

A better policy would be saying you can smoke but be considerate of others. Make sure the smoke doesn’t affect them
Second Hand smoke is the worst !!! through the walls and the air ducts I dont need to be subjected to your addiction .
it also sticks to the walls and the furniture it travels dude !
and they have these rues even in Condos its not a affordable housing issue it is a health issue .

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
You was trying to be sarcastic but you actually right. The only way you can smoke in your own apartment is if you rich. This no smoking rule has got to be one of the dumbest rules I ever heard of. Telling people that they can’t smoke in there own apartment. They even trying to enforce this BS in Nycha too. You got people like livingsinglenyc that encourage this nonsense. Sounds like landlords are implying a form of martial law telling people what they can and can’t do in there own apartment? The sad part is that the majority of nyc apartments are like this now smh

A better policy would be saying you can smoke but be considerate of others. Make sure the smoke doesn’t affect them
There is no way you can smoke in your place and be "considerate of others".

Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 726 times
I've lived in a newer affordable housing building for two years. Right now, I'm in my apartment and breathing second-hand smoke. It sucks. This started a few months ago, rumor has it that a new tenant moved in on the floor below me. I'm allergic to smoke. My life has been hell. I call the front desk to have a staff member come out to "witness" the smoke; I email management, and put in 311 complaints -- I will continue to complain until the perpetrators stop. To live here, I signed a smoke-free rider. I committed to not smoking in my unit and that includes any of my guests. I assumed that others who signed the same contract would also follow the rules because this opportunity--to live in a nice building --takes a herculean effort negotiating many obstacles to meet the stringent requirements. If the OP asking this obnoxious question about how to break the no smoking rules were standing in front of me, I would punch his arrogant sick ass in the face. Affordable housing is not a right. Smoking is not a right. Grow up or give up your apartment and let someone honest, hardworking and truly in need of housing take your place.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
It boggles the mind how one tries to circumvent simple rules.
Smoking is obnoxious in any form if you are not an active participant.
When you smoke you are aware it enters my smoke free home.
That shows lack of concern or responsibility on your part.
It infuriates even further knowing that the some housing tenants find it normal to:

Urinate and defecate in the stairwells and elevators.
Do drugs,have sex and graffiti in stairwells.
Throw trash out their windows and into the stairwells.
Vandalize anything made of glass,mail boxes, anything that swings like a door,
beat and stomp on anything that will eventually break because it's fun.

One could go on and on...........................
I worked in this crap for over 20 years. There were some improvements but for the most part
housing has remained in a steady state of decay because nothing has changed positively.
All building erode over time that is why maintenance is put in place for upkeep. This slowsdown
the natural and unavoidable state of erosion. All building age and are eventually replaced.
The delapidation in housing is sped up and mostly inflicted by those that have resided there for years.
Rather than help maintain the surroundings, most chose to do nothing. Why? They don't own it!
How many time will a caretaker sweep up feces, a carpenter repair a door, a painter repaint walls,
a mechanic fix a broken elevator, an electrician fix broken light fixtures before they say screw it.......
Not today! I need a break...................

Don't S**t where you sleep is an old saying. Why some just don't get it is a great mystery.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 01-12-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 08:08 AM

283 posts, read 233,662 times
Ugh I can't stand cigarettes. Even just walking behind a smoker for a couple minutes = several hours of cigarette smells stuck to my clothes. Gross.

Just take up vaping if you absolutely want to smoke in your unit. That **** ain't healthy but at least it won't waft into other people's units you inconsiderate degenerate feck (OP). No one with any sense of class or self dignity should want their homes and their clothes to smell like stale cigarettes. I feel bad for your neighbors

Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Probably only those paying market rent are allowed to smoke.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Ugh I can't stand cigarettes. Even just walking behind a smoker for a couple minutes = several hours of cigarette smells stuck to my clothes. Gross.

Just take up vaping if you absolutely want to smoke in your unit. That **** ain't healthy but at least it won't waft into other people's units you inconsiderate degenerate feck (OP). No one with any sense of class or self dignity should want their homes and their clothes to smell like stale cigarettes. I feel bad for your neighbors
How do you feel about Weed? What about when you're apt and the hallway smells like weed?

Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 PM

283 posts, read 233,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How do you feel about Weed? What about when you're apt and the hallway smells like weed?
that's annoying... but nowhere near as obnoxious as cigarettes. I'd only complain about the smell of weed if it's frequent and intense (daily + wafts into my apartment). with cigarettes, the smell consumes the whole floor and invades people's units, it NEVER goes away unless massive cleansing is done, not to mention that MOST people who smoke cigs indoors are doing it several times a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: