Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times

Advertisements

I think you're being a little bit unfair. There are some good public schools out there. What about all of the magnet schools, Stuy,Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, Hunter High school? You wouldn't send your kids to those schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm a NYC public school teacher and I wouldn't send my kids to ANY public school in the city, even if it gets amazing ratings. You still have to deal with the NYC department of ed, which is soooo corrupt it isn't even funny. God forbid if your child needs some sort of special needs services...it would take forever to get through the doe because of all the bureaucracy. If you can, shell out the extra money and send them to a private school in Queens or something, where it's a little cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
I'm a NYC public school teacher and I wouldn't send my kids to ANY public school in the city, even if it gets amazing ratings. You still have to deal with the NYC department of ed, which is soooo corrupt it isn't even funny. God forbid if your child needs some sort of special needs services...it would take forever to get through the doe because of all the bureaucracy. If you can, shell out the extra money and send them to a private school in Queens or something, where it's a little cheaper.
Wow do you really believe that? That is disappointing to see from a teacher. I don't know I guess I was one of the lucky few, but I feel like I received a relatively good education from going to public schools. I didn't feel behind in college at all, and I am actually smarter than a lot of my co-workers--not to toot my own horn or anything.

Would you not send your child for instance to a Stuyvesant if given the chance?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-26-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I would only send my kids to Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Townsend, schools like that...but the chances are very slim. Those are the smartest kids in the city. I'm a teacher and I know what goes on with the department of ed. I grew up with disabilities and there was no way I would have been this successful if my parents had stayed in NYC and sent me to public schools. In my class, I have to deal with the violent, suicidal kids before I get other kids evaluated if they can't read. Those are what I mean. You hardly ever see the issues I deal with on a daily basis in the suburbs.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Let me clarify my post. Not EVERY school in the city is going to have the issues I deal with on a regular basis (and I teach Kindergarten. Imagine the physical violence and suicidal issues I deal with! hard to believe in Kindergarten, I know). Of course you wouldn't have these issues in a public school on the UES or something. A teacher would be able to catch a child who's behind in their reading a lot faster than I would be able to, since they don't have to deal with as many behavioral issues. I'm just saying that it would still take a decent amount of time to get an IEP through the department of ed. And there's only so much we can do for a kid if they don't have an IEP.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscott View Post
How much do NYC private schools cost and is it that hard to get them in? I've heard that you've got to basically bribe your way in.
I think this is true for some schools. There was a big story a few years ago about someone in power giving a big donation to get into a particular school (for some reason AT&T sticks in my mind). When the news broke a lot of the chatter was about how everyone in the know knew that this was common.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Actually, I went through the NYC private school system, my nephew and nieces have gone through it and all my friends' kids have gone through it. It's not an easy system to negotiate, but if a child is bright, interviews well and does well on the ERBs it's just a matter of finding the money to pay for it all.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Is it easy to find money for private schools? I ask because I'm a lower elementary teacher in the south Bronx, and a few of my students are so bright and should be in a better school. I would be willing to find out any information.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Most of the private schools in NYC do have scholarships available. I know mine did, as did my sisters' schools. I think you just have to inquire directly with the schools.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
What about Prep for Prep? They help out poor minority students get into prep schools. I think its on the Upper West Side somewhere.

Quote:
Is it easy to find money for private schools? I ask because I'm a lower elementary teacher in the south Bronx, and a few of my students are so bright and should be in a better school. I would be willing to find out any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City