Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 PM

37,074 posts, read 39,206,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why don't ya'll move to Mexico

Ya'll act like if there no Mexican food you will die
Well, I occasionally do other things than eat.

I think under certain circumstances, I would move to Mexico City though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,287,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Malaysian and Vietnamese--often cooked / manned by Chinese Malaysians and Hoa. Even met some people from Burma of Chinese ethnicity, though it's only out in Bensonhurt where you'll find a couple of Burmese restaurants.
Between it's Italian past and it's Chinese growth, I would think Bensonhurst would be making more noise on the food scene.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:28 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,287,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I occasionally do other things than eat.

I think under certain circumstances, I would move to Mexico City though.
Would you live in a gated community?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Would you live in a gated community?
Why should I? It's Mexico City which has tons of nice neighborhoods.

It's not like the "certain circumstances" I'd go for is to live in the Brownsville equivalent in Mexico City but in a gated complex or to move out into the suburbs of Mexico City.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-20-2018 at 05:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Between it's Italian past and it's Chinese growth, I would think Bensonhurst would be making more noise on the food scene.
I think it's generally because it's too far away for most to elicit that much interest while also being sort of diffused among different cuisines so it's not a focal point the way Flushing is. It's not just southern Chinese and Italian, but also a mix of Eastern European, Middle Eastern, and some Latin American. It is a very good neighborhood for eats though and usually in the very affordable range with a very wide variety--possibly the widest in the city outside of certain parts of Manhattan and Elmhurst if you grab a block or two north of Roosevelt into Jackson Heights.

I think a related topic would be best commercial strips for restaurants including adjoining side streets. Roosevelt for a good stretch is fantastic. Bensonhurst takes a hit in comparison as its restaurants are a bit more spread out along various strips and intersections.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-20-2018 at 05:49 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 AM

782 posts, read 525,145 times
Quote:
Probably because of the location. The Queens neighborhoods that we’ve been discussing are more convenient for Manhattan and Long Island folks. South Brooklyn is less convenient though it probably gets some Staten Island people coming over which accounts for some of the Bay Ridge scene.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 AM

3,954 posts, read 7,187,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah, LA and Chicago have had a Mexican population for much longer.
Mexican food will never have the same taste in NYC that it has in Los Angeles. Reason? L.A.W. Which means land, air, and water. The climate of NYC is vastly different that of Los Angeles and the rest of the Southwest plain and simple.

Last edited by CamaroGuy; 04-22-2018 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 04-22-2018, 01:30 PM

7,902 posts, read 7,846,977 times
Quote:
Any amount of Latin food isn't going to make a neighborhood have best food unless the neighborhood also has vast options of Asian or Italian cuisine. Latin food can't do it on it's own. Asian and European can.
gotta agree, and this is is pretty much the ratio of the Bronx. cuchifritos spots (which are actually fantastic, mexican, and then what...? the boro is a culinary wasteland, that leaves much to be desired. shoutout to la isla on 149th and morris, and tavares on 141st & st anns. amazing

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 PM

7,902 posts, read 7,846,977 times
9th avenue from 57th to 42nd. plenty of options

Old 04-22-2018, 01:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
gotta agree, and this is is pretty much the ratio of the Bronx. cuchifritos spots (which are actually fantastic, mexican, and then what...? the boro is a culinary wasteland, that leaves much to be desired. shoutout to la isla on 149th and morris, and tavares on 141st & st anns. amazing
Well the Bronx also has a lot of Jamaican food in the Northern parts, and Bengali food in the Parkchester area. And of course the Italian food in Belmont.

Thr Bronx doesn't seem to even have that much Mexican food relative to its huge Mexican population, I wonder if that will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City