Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM

209 posts, read 253,711 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen this NYC map of gentrification sections?
Report Analyzes New York City’s Gentrifying Neighborhoods and Finds Dramatic Demographic Shifts – NYU Furman Center

I knew gentrification is happening in many areas in NYC, but I was shocked to find out the sections that are included, which I never thought would be included.

There have been articles saying Brownsville/East New York are gentrifying, which was something no one ever thought ever happen in a million years.

However, this article now seems to show Brownsville gentrifying, but not East New York.

The Bronx surprised me the most. I knew the south Bronx is undergoing gentrification because of the proximity to Manhattan, which the hipsters want to be near. However, here it is showing a very large portion of middle Bronx gentrifying, which I thought had not reach yet.

I know Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, Bushwick, which are still predominantly Blacks and Latinos, but it is now at least 15% to 30% whites now, depending where you go.

Anyone have noticed any significant numbers of white folks or hipsters now in south and mid Bronx or if Brownsville, Brooklyn now has more white people moving in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 04:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I see very few white people in The South Bronx (not counting Yankee Stadium) and Brownsville/ENY. There are a lot of white people in Bushwick and Bed Stuy, though.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
I moved to east harlem about 3 years ago and I think the number of white people has been multiplied by about 20 (from like, 0.1% to 2%, not like there's a lot now even with the increase)

Old 03-18-2018, 07:18 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
Anyone seen this NYC map of gentrification sections?
Report Analyzes New York City’s Gentrifying Neighborhoods and Finds Dramatic Demographic Shifts – NYU Furman Center

I knew gentrification is happening in many areas in NYC, but I was shocked to find out the sections that are included, which I never thought would be included.

There have been articles saying Brownsville/East New York are gentrifying, which was something no one ever thought ever happen in a million years.

However, this article now seems to show Brownsville gentrifying, but not East New York.

The Bronx surprised me the most. I knew the south Bronx is undergoing gentrification because of the proximity to Manhattan, which the hipsters want to be near. However, here it is showing a very large portion of middle Bronx gentrifying, which I thought had not reach yet.

I know Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, Bushwick, which are still predominantly Blacks and Latinos, but it is now at least 15% to 30% whites now, depending where you go.

Anyone have noticed any significant numbers of white folks or hipsters now in south and mid Bronx or if Brownsville, Brooklyn now has more white people moving in?
Gentrification isn't just white people. The Bronx has seen large rent increases, not necessarily from whites, but people being pushed out of Brooklyn and other parts of the city that have higher incomes. Someone who face a rent of $2000, will gladly pay $1500 in the Bronx, and so it goes.

I'm being nice at $1500, because one bedrooms in a good part of the Bronx can be found at or above that, even in the poorest areas. The Bronx has seen the highest rent increases of late.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I see very few white people in The South Bronx (not counting Yankee Stadium) and Brownsville/ENY. There are a lot of white people in Bushwick and Bed Stuy, though.
Gentrification is not exclusively about white people. As Harlem rapidly gentrifies (lots of white people in West Harlem and then there's the huge Columbia expansion) a lot of working people who lived in Harlem move to the Bronx. That causes rent prices to go up and more people to be displaced.

Similarly, as white people moved into Bedstuy and Bushwick, lots of working poor people moved into Brownsville and East New York, again causes prices to increase.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I moved to east harlem about 3 years ago and I think the number of white people has been multiplied by about 20 (from like, 0.1% to 2%, not like there's a lot now even with the increase)
It depends. The UES has moved north of 96th Street. There's a bunch of new buildings that have opened up in recent years in the low 100s in East Harlem, and the white population there is definitely WAY more than 2% and it has tremendously grown.

If you live on 116th Street or 125th Street the white population is a lot smaller.

But even an increase from say .1 percent to 2 percent causes ripple effects in NYC real estate.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Gentrification is not exclusively about white people. As Harlem rapidly gentrifies (lots of white people in West Harlem and then there's the huge Columbia expansion) a lot of working people who lived in Harlem move to the Bronx. That causes rent prices to go up and more people to be displaced.

Similarly, as white people moved into Bedstuy and Bushwick, lots of working poor people moved into Brownsville and East New York, again causes prices to increase.
I know it's not all about white people, it's about income level. But OP specifically mentioned white people, and I do think that large amounts of white people moving into minority neighborhoods is a sign of gentrification.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Gentrification isn't just white people. The Bronx has seen large rent increases, not necessarily from whites, but people being pushed out of Brooklyn and other parts of the city that have higher incomes. Someone who face a rent of $2000, will gladly pay $1500 in the Bronx, and so it goes.

I'm being nice at $1500, because one bedrooms in a good part of the Bronx can be found at or above that, even in the poorest areas. The Bronx has seen the highest rent increases of late.
Wow, you and I made similar posts at pretty much the same time. Yes rapid gentrification in Brooklyn, Queens, and Upper Manhattan leads to more people moving to the Bronx or to East New York and Brownsville, ultimately causing huge price increases and displacement.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 PM

De Blasio rezoned the South Bronx and East New York for redevelopment. East Harlem too. So you have investors and developers snapping up properties like crazy in these neighborhoods. Meaning in a comparatively short time you'll see major changes in these neighborhoods. Once new buildings are built, it doesn't take long.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know it's not all about white people, it's about income level. But OP specifically mentioned white people, and I do think that large amounts of white people moving into minority neighborhoods is a sign of gentrification.
Large amounts of white people moving into a neighborhood is one of the LATER stages of gentrification.

When the first few weird white people show up, around this time developers and investors assess the neighborhood's potential. When they decide to act, they buy up all the property in a neighborhood, and either renovate or do tear downs and build new stuff. Once all the construction results in a number of new buildings on the market, large numbers of whites flood in. Then the nature of the businesses in the neighborhood changes, and things to attract people with higher income level start opening up in the neighborhood.

If you look at things like real estate purchases, construction permits, etc big chunks of the Bronx are already gentrifying. Money is already being invested.

People on City Data are often ridiculously wrong (never take real estate investment advice of this forum) because for some reason people are BLIND to things like obvious real estate purchases, rezonings, etc.

Last summer Sugar Hill I noticed a huge influx of whites in Sugar Hill. But those Brownstones had been sold a few years back and the construction permits had been issued by the city. Not too far away Columbia had already bought from 125-135th Street, and was fundraising to build new buildings and getting it's own construction permits.

Now some new buildings are already open, while some old buildings have already been repurposed.

If you actually read the report, they analyze data, not just what someone might see when they visit a neighborhood.

The Bronx has the highest number of evictions and the areas highlighted as gentrifying have declining Black populations. Statistics don't lie.

I remember when people tried to deny Harlem was gentrifying I had to point out new buildings, major developer aquisitions, and the blatantly obvious Columbia expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: