Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I guess the difference between myself and SJWs is that I see the Irish PM marching in the St. Patrick's Day parade and think,

"Hey, that is cool that a foreign head of state came to NY to march in solidarity with Irish Americans."

As opposed to,

"OMG, he's a gay half-Hindu!!!! Taste salt, racist homophobes!!!"

tl;dr Who cares if he is gay. Who cares if his father is Indian. He's the PM of Ireland marching in an Irish ethnic celebration in NY. I doubt marched to make a statement about his sexual preferences or his genes.
It wasn't that long ago one could be fired for being gay. Bigots have always cared whether someone is gay, and even when people don't want to tell their sexuality people will figure it out (it's kind of obvious when someone has no interest in the opposite sex).

So gay people are happy to see that's it's possible to be openly gay and have successful careers. Not too long ago in NYC, to be openly gay was to be working at rock bottom service sector or retail jobs...........Oh and fue employment discrimination and rejection from their families the homeless have always been disproportionately gay.

So there are lots of reasons to celebrate his participation on the basis of being gay.

Given the obviously racial history of the world, it's pretty obvious why people are happy when people like Obama or this guy ride to the top......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think a lot of gay folks are just self serving and disrespectful for families. As parents of young children we haven't even begun the sexual education or discuss exactly how the bees and the birds work. Yet you got people trying to make a political sexual orientation message to the public. Wait till they have kids and have to explain what does Joe and Jake does behind the bedroom door. I don't think a public venue such as family parades should be used to show any sexual orientation message. Especially how some gays dress and act in public at these parades. It's not even about their sexual orientation, it's about decency and family values. I don't want to see provocatively dressed men or women with my kids around.
That's your failure as a parent. You're supposed to talk to your children about what they will be doing, and they will likely be doing this stuff before they are legally adults.

Obviously the conversations you have with a 4 year old won't be the same as the conversations you have with a 12 year old.

But no one is having sex out in the streets either. If it's s small child all they need to know is love comes in all forms and to treat others they way you would like to be treated.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymm8 View Post
Remember those days when foot fetishists were arrested for having sex? Or couldn't marry each other? Or were imprisoned in mental health facilities? No? Me neither.

This is hardly a reasonable comparison.
Of your list the only thing I remember is when marriage was between a man and a woman, as it had been the definition of marriage for thousands of years because the marriage of a man and woman was integral to the raising of children. Yes I know some married men and woman don't have children but most do. A gay couple cannot produce children without the involvement of other persons as surrogates or adopting someone else's children.

I don't remember any gays being arrested for private consensual sex. I'm sure it happened somewhere in the past but likewise I am sure straight couples also were arrested for adultery. I don't remember any gays being imprisoned in mental facilities solely by virtue of their sexual orientation and unrelated to another crime.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I've gotten a lot of reps for my statement so I'm not alone. I don't care if you're gay or straight just keep your sexual orientation out of the family parade. Already difficult to explain to kids how bees produce honey and now you want to explain to them why a male bee and a male bee wants to make a colony.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I've gotten a lot of reps for my statement so I'm not alone. I don't care if you're gay or straight just keep your sexual orientation out of the family parade. Already difficult to explain to kids how bees produce honey and now you want to explain to them why a male bee and a male bee wants to make a colony.
You don't own the parade and LGBT groups are there so either get over it or don't go. And no one is really interés in your children or your lack of parenting skills. It's your job as a parent to explain things to your children in a responsible way. If you can't handle such a basic, simple conversation with children you never should have had any.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Of your list the only thing I remember is when marriage was between a man and a woman, as it had been the definition of marriage for thousands of years because the marriage of a man and woman was integral to the raising of children. Yes I know some married men and woman don't have children but most do. A gay couple cannot produce children without the involvement of other persons as surrogates or adopting someone else's children.

I don't remember any gays being arrested for private consensual sex. I'm sure it happened somewhere in the past but likewise I am sure straight couples also were arrested for adultery. I don't remember any gays being imprisoned in mental facilities solely by virtue of their sexual orientation and unrelated to another crime.
You displayed ignorance beyond belief. Just because you personally didn't know something happened does not mean it did not happen. The world does not revolve around your beliefs as s young man. There were time periods in which gays were burned st the stake for being gay. There are issues with people being assaulted for being gay. Job discrimination was a major issue. Therapies such as electroshock were used and yes being gay was classified as mental illness so one could be incarcerated or institutionalized because one was gay.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
We’ce talked a little on the topic already because of some things my children have withessed. I explained that ANYONE doing ANYTHING with the goal of creating attention is a fool and they should stay away from those types of people if they want to have a drama-free life.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’ce talked a little on the topic already because of some things my children have withessed. I explained that ANYONE doing ANYTHING with the goal of creating attention is a fool and they should stay away from those types of people if they want to have a drama-free life.
At least you don’t shy away from your parental responsibilities of talking to your children.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Pretty gutsy to March with corrupt Cuomo.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
At least you don’t shy away from your parental responsibilities of talking to your children.
The worst thing too many parents do nowadays is shield their children from the real world. Love it or leave it, reality will bite them in the butt eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: