Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times

Advertisements

Guns don't kill, People do.
If you take away people's guns, they will just find other ways to do violent crimes.
If someone wants to hurt or kill people, clearly they have issues and they will do what they have to do, to do it.
I don't know why people don't seem to understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 03:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Because NY actually has strict gun laws unlike the rest of hillbilly America.
This happened in NYC, not elsewhere in America. They love illegal handguns in Brooklyn. They can't get enough of them. They'll even sing songs about them.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Actually you rarely hear of gun violence among hillbillies. It is pretty much always flatlanders. Why do flatlanders love shooting each other so much? Hillbillies have more guns, yet shoot each other less.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Australia and England have gun crime rates commiserate with their population size, very similar to ours when controlled for that data point.
False. Australia firearm-related death rate is 10 times lower than the US when adjusted for population size, United Kingdom is 40 times lower when adjusted for population size.
Guns are not as easy to make as drugs, not many people can make an AK 47 in their house from raw materials.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
False. Australia firearm-related death rate is 10 times lower than the US when adjusted for population size, United Kingdom is 40 times lower when adjusted for population size.
Guns are not as easy to make as drugs, not many people can make an AK 47 in their house from raw materials.
Unlike many who post here would ever do, I just read a few articles on the topic and found my claim was definitely incorrect. The UK experiences roughly 1 firearm homicide per million persons while we hover around 31. Australia is even lower at .25 per million. Not that either finding makes me willing to give up my guns, but a fact is a fact.

I believe my claim came from a study which removed gang-related murders from the US homicide rate. I’m going to look for that now.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Your second point is simply ridiculous. You're talking about unrelated crimes. Gun control isn't aimed at stopping arsonist and other criminals. It's like saying rape laws are inneffective because they won't do anything for grand larcany.
So murder is not murder. A master logician you are not.

Obviously gun control is not aimed at stopping arson or stabbings. It is about taking guns from the general public. It is about social control.

Consider that most of the direction of gun control advocacy right now centers around laws prohibiting or limiting "assault rifles".

Murders by weapon type 2016:

Rifles (of all kinds): 374

Hand, feet, fists: 656

Knives: 1604

Handguns: 7105

Surely, these statistics must lead one to believe that the impetus for banning certain kinds of rifles is not even closely correlated with the threat posed to society.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 AM

912 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So murder is not murder. A master logician you are not.

Obviously gun control is not aimed at stopping arson or stabbings. It is about taking guns from the general public. It is about social control.

Consider that most of the direction of gun control advocacy right now centers around laws prohibiting or limiting "assault rifles".

Murders by weapon type 2016:

Rifles (of all kinds): 374

Hand, feet, fists: 656

Knives: 1604

Handguns: 7105

Surely, these statistics must lead one to believe that the impetus for banning certain kinds of rifles is not even closely correlated with the threat posed to society.
Your logic in your previous post still makes no sense. What is the point in linking guns to arson, stabbings and vehicular homicide?

The direction of gun control advocacy is focused on assault rifles because that’s lowest hanging fruit, meaning the easiest thing to go after. However, overall gun advocacy is focused on enforcing and expanding background checks for ALL weapons, including hand guns.

Guns singular purpose is to kill efficiently and quickly. Knives and vehicles on the other hand, while capable of being used for murder, serve a different primary purpose in society, and thus are regulated differently. The majority on the left aren’t calling for a ban on guns (just the ones capable of mass destruction,) we’re calling for the implementation and strict enforcement of gun laws. We don’t allow people without a license and insurance to purchase a vehicle, yet any 19 yr old with zero gun experience can purchase an AR-15 in certain states.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:58 AM

Come try to get them and you’ll see how easy they are to take...

And you aren’t calling for strict adherence to gun laws, you want new ones that criminalize law abiding citizens.

If you wanted strict adherence to current laws, you’d find that every act a criminal makes from purchase through violent usage is already covered by numerous laws which are routinely ignored by prosecuting authorities.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Come try to get them and you’ll see how easy they are to take...

And you aren’t calling for strict adherence to gun laws, you want new ones that criminalize law abiding citizens.

If you wanted strict adherence to current laws, you’d find that every act a criminal makes from purchase through violent usage is already covered by numerous laws which are routinely ignored by prosecuting authorities.
Did you not read the part in my post about “strictly enforcing” gun laws? That would include putting pressure on the military to update the FBI’s registry of people who have been dishonorably discharged and banned from purchasing weapons.

However, while some states already have strict gun control regulations, most do not. It is those states that need to implement new laws, or we need to pass new laws on a federal level. As NYPD, surely you must be aware that 3in4 guns used in crimes in NY originate from out of state. So no matter what NY does to enforce its strict gun laws, as long as states like Indiana and Florida sell guns to anyone with a pulse, NY is limited as to what it can do alone.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM

I blame the criminals, not the law abiding citizens of other states that have nothing to do with NYC's crime rate. They don't need to change anything. They have a different way of life (thankfully, because I need a place to move when I retire).

We need to punish our violent perps much stronger so that they cannot become recidivists.

While it is wonderful that you see that the military eff'd up in that case, there are other laws on the books that are NEVER charged. The most glaring example being the federal prohibition against felons possessing firearms. When nearly every gun crime is committed by convicted felons in the cities, why is the Fed not prosecuting this every single time so that perps can face federal prison with no parole?

Oh, wait I know, because my rights have to suffer first. Being an NRA member, it's all my fault anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City