Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 16,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2knoww View Post
What does it mean where it says "Citywide courts"? Does that mean if you check that they can send you anywhere in NYC? It has no location, just civil, family and criminal.
From what I found out, yes. And County courts. All of the courts have different parts:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/8jd/structure.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUSMCVet View Post
A few questions here and I am new here and I appreciate all of the information that has been provided so far. With that said, I would prefer something in only a few locations and if I only put down a couple of locations within NYC would I be costing myself interview opportunities? Secondly, for the court assistants or the court staff in general is there a parking lot for them or is it free for all parking on the streets paying insane amounts of money for parking each day? Thank you in advance.

Score - 91.5

Rank 2**

Why don't you just drive to a place where you can park your car (in my upstate city, it would be a mall parking lot) and then take a bus.

Don't let a minor, even though daily, aggravation take away from the happiness of a great job.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM

65 posts, read 122,064 times
Now that the time has elapsed for those asked of work place preferences, does anyone know approximate time frame to be called for the next steps? Plus, what are the next steps? I know someone mentioned an interview, is there anything else?

Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlawless View Post
Good morning,

Hoping you can help me answer a few questions.

Can you transfer between court districts once you’re hired and have been working for awhile? Also, if I chose a district and then decide not to work there or can’t relocate soon enough to work there will I remain on the list in my rank order for other districts?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
I agree with NYCourtGuy BUT when they send you an initial canvass letter for you to indicate your interest in the job, they will give you the location.

You have the option of declining their choice, or, if you can't relocate fast enough, you'll be able to mark the option of something like 'temporary inability to work' (and be able to prove it later on). In the county, if you mark either, you have to wait 3 months before you can return to the list as long as you notify them in writing.

Start thinking up Plans B, C, D etc. to take the job right away if offered. They'll only offer it if they interview you and you pass background checks.

If it were me ...

Old 08-26-2018, 09:00 PM

The time frame depends on the number of openings available.

Other tests could be typing and more clerical. But, I'm not sure.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 80,878 times
Talking Location Preference sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhern View Post
I sent in my choice of districts and they are due by 8/23. How soon after that is the list established? Wondering how long before I'll start getting letters?
I did not receive a Location Preference email as others are stating and I have a score of 94.3 with a rank of 96.

So, I actually sent an email to asm@nycourts.gov on Friday to request a reason why - well this morning I finally received my location sheet. But there is nothing in the email giving a due date.

Could someone please scan in a copy of their location email? Please and thank you.

Good luck to all!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 AM

65 posts, read 122,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurelisse View Post
The time frame depends on the number of openings available.

Other tests could be typing and more clerical. But, I'm not sure.
Will we be notified via email again or regular mail?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 53,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phileigh007 View Post
I did not receive a Location Preference email as others are stating and I have a score of 94.3 with a rank of 96.

So, I actually sent an email to asm@nycourts.gov on Friday to request a reason why - well this morning I finally received my location sheet. But there is nothing in the email giving a due date.

Could someone please scan in a copy of their location email? Please and thank you.

Good luck to all!
I tried to do this for you, but am unable to save the email in the correct file type required for upload. Sorry.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 19,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYtesttaker View Post
I still haven't received the email with how to select locations. Is it being sent out in waves? Is there someone I should contact?
You're not the only one that hasn't gotten the email. I ran a search in Spam and Trash as suggested & found nothing from an 'asm'.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwetoddit View Post
Will we be notified via email again or regular mail?
That's a good question. If the State uses email to acknowledge our test applications and send location preferences, they'll probably send out email notifications for anything else. To them, email addresses may be more stable than physical ones -> people move.

I honestly don't know which would come first - the interview or the testing. A friend of mine had to take the typing test before they called him for his 911 dispatch interview (county). That request was done in writing.

Any one that I know who has taken county civil service have always been called for the interview.

Just keep an eye on your email. It could be another screening method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City