Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:30 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times

Advertisements

Why don't you try Jersey City? Lots of new buildings going up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 04:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
This building is not brand new but was built in 2000. One bedroom for $3300. https://streeteasy.com/building/west-54th/0511

Long Island City could be a decent choice, especially if you choose something by the E train, which will get you into Chelsea quickly, barring any issues with the trains. But you're right, it's not the most neighborhoody area. However, perhaps when the buildings continue to go up, more amenities will arrive.

I would also beware of Williamsburg, especially by the L train, with the L train shutdown coming soon.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Or how about this in Ft. Greene? https://streeteasy.com/building/dklb-bkln

Old 03-28-2018, 04:43 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
Yep, that's why I asked about opinions on Williamsburg vs Astoria. I Haven't been here long so was also asking for any other suggestions.

Confused as to why people are being rude? Next time I'll try reddit.
You should have said you were looking for newer buildings in the first place; you would have gotten better and more concise responses. Just coming on here saying you want to spend $3500 on an apartment in NYC deserves a face palm.

Good luck.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-28-2018, 04:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Can anyone recommend an area in nyc that is young, lots of restaurants, accessible transportation and come to city. Budget as mentioned $3500 (1 bedroom)and I prefer a new building in a safe area so not sure if Manhattan would work for my budget.

I'm thinking Williamsburg or Astoria but which is better? I only need one bedroom not looking for anything more. Both seem cool but I'm uneasy about L train situation in Williamsburg. Also not sure about commute into city from Astoria. If you had to choose between the two what would you recommend?

Also, I'm open to any other recommendations for neighborhoods. Long Island city maybe? It seems dead though. Transportation is very important as I frequent Manhattan daily. Especially Chelsea area. I want to stay close in proximity to Manhattan. Thank you!
This has everything you’re looking for and is in pretty close proximity to the city.

https://streeteasy.com/building/hub-...0aAgNyEALw_wcB

Old 03-28-2018, 05:08 PM

267 posts, read 578,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Why don't you try Jersey City? Lots of new buildings going up there.
lol I live there now. Want to live IN the city though.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
This has everything you’re looking for and is in pretty close proximity to the city.

https://streeteasy.com/building/hub-...0aAgNyEALw_wcB
I really like this! I didn't think of downtown Brooklyn and am not very familiar with it. Is it pretty lively? Is it safe? Thank you for suggestion.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
I really like this! I didn't think of downtown Brooklyn and am not very familiar with it. Is it pretty lively? Is it safe? Thank you for suggestion.
I live in the area at the Ashland. I absolutely love it. I’ve never not felt safe! Super convenient. I’m almost the same distance between Atlantic/Pacific and Dekalb subway stops. Takes me about 30 minutes (have done it in less) to midtown 49th/7th.

I’ve only been here a couple months so I can’t tell you much about nightlife but there are tons of restaurants and bars in the surrounding neighboods as well.

It’s worth taking a trip to look around. There are a ton of new buildings in the area, this is the only one with a pool that I remember but there are other buildings too.

The Rockwell
Caseura
280 Ashland
300 Ashland
City Point

Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This building is not brand new but was built in 2000. One bedroom for $3300. https://streeteasy.com/building/west-54th/0511

Long Island City could be a decent choice, especially if you choose something by the E train, which will get you into Chelsea quickly, barring any issues with the trains. But you're right, it's not the most neighborhoody area. However, perhaps when the buildings continue to go up, more amenities will arrive.

I would also beware of Williamsburg, especially by the L train, with the L train shutdown coming soon.
True, my only concern with long island is I feel I would have to leave the neighborhood to do anything. The buildings are beautiful and I believe they have a ferry? But I still feel somewhat removed from "the city" despite it's proximity. I will explore it more however to really get a feel for it. I hope to sell my car but in that area I might need it lol.

Williamsburg was my first choice but the L train shutdown suuuuuuuucks!!! I am not very familiar with Brooklyn and which neighborhoods have the easiest access to manhattan. Thanks for the fort green suggestion, I will check it out as I don't know much about it or it's transportation. Someone mentioned green point but the transportation into the city from there seems kind of spotty.

Midtown is quite interesting, I have noticed several rentals there within my price range...why is that area so much cheaper than other areas like Chelsea? My only concern is that it seems sooooooooo busy but perhaps it's something i'd get used to. It is in the heart of the city which is really cool and every train imaginable is right there (sorry thinking to myself lol). I've never heard of Clinton...will have to google. I really like the building you suggested and will yelp them. Thank you for your help. Also I like streeteasy, I never used them before but they seem to be better than Zillow

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 02:39 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I live in the area at the Ashland. I absolutely love it. I’ve never not felt safe! Super convenient. I’m almost the same distance between Atlantic/Pacific and Dekalb subway stops. Takes me about 30 minutes (have done it in less) to midtown 49th/7th.

I’ve only been here a couple months so I can’t tell you much about nightlife but there are tons of restaurants and bars in the surrounding neighboods as well.

It’s worth taking a trip to look around. There are a ton of new buildings in the area, this is the only one with a pool that I remember but there are other buildings too.

The Rockwell
Caseura
280 Ashland
300 Ashland
City Point
Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City