Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate to NYC by July, 2018 and I'm very much interested in finding good housing. I have conducted several searches and presently, I'm thinking that Downtown Brooklyn is my best option, since I will be working in Downtown Manhattan.

The rent for a 1 bedroom apt is around $3,089.00/month, which is about the going rate for a 1 bedroom in the area.

The building is owned and run by Avalon and based on the reviews it is pretty well managed.

I'm just curious if FT Greene is a good community. Please share your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:41 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,599,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia_Nia View Post
I plan to relocate to NYC by July, 2018 and I'm very much interested in finding good housing. I have conducted several searches and presently, I'm thinking that Downtown Brooklyn is my best option, since I will be working in Downtown Manhattan.

The rent for a 1 bedroom apt is around $3,089.00/month, which is about the going rate for a 1 bedroom in the area.

The building is owned and run by Avalon and based on the reviews it is pretty well managed.

I'm just curious if FT Greene is a good community. Please share your input.
IMHO, I'd go with the Downtown BK building over Ft Greene. Ft Greene is a gorgeous, diverse community, but in Downtown Brooklyn you'll have all the subway service you'd ever dream of into Lower Manhattan plus a taxi/uber from there to Manhattan would be reasonable. There's tons of shopping and restaurants (Check out the Dekalb food hall!) and access to Williamsburg is good vis-a-vis the G train. Of course, pricing is key so if someone in Ft Greene is offering the deal of a lifetime then there's that, but in the end I would go DT BK.

Welcome to NYC!

Old 04-01-2018, 03:55 PM

983 posts, read 925,942 times
If you have the money to pay 3 grand a month for rent, why live in a neighborhood like Ft Greene which is "getting better"? Live somewhere that's already good like Downtown Brooklyn or Brooklyn Heights.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:58 PM

954 posts, read 933,925 times
Honestly you can’t go wrong with either neighborhood but I’d agree with the others on downtown Brooklyn.

That building your talking about (Avalon ft green) is right on the boarder of ft Greene and downtown Brooklyn. You would actually be closer to prime downtown Brooklyn (and city point) then prime fort green. That building is a little on the “older” side but the apartments are a little bit larger. If you want the shiney and new check out the hub, 250 Ashland, Ava dobro or the city point buildings. All of them are newer and have things like movie rooms and swimming pools. Think of Avalon as an older Hilton and the other developments as the W hotel.

Last edited by Principle Lewis; 04-01-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Another area that I'm targeting is Harlem, NY. I like the idea of living in a brownstone apartment, but I'm thinking that it may be easier to meet people if I rent in a large multi-unit building.

I'm hoping that this upcoming move to NYC will help bring me out of my shell. Outside of fitness classes and work, I'm pretty much a home body.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,411,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
If you have the money to pay 3 grand a month for rent, why live in a neighborhood like Ft Greene which is "getting better"? Live somewhere that's already good like Downtown Brooklyn or Brooklyn Heights.
Isn't Fort Greene already "there"?

And there's nothing wrong with not choosing the most expensive neighborhood your budget allows. If I had a 3000 dollar budget, I would still live in Kensington or Western Flatbush over Brooklyn Heights.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Honestly you can’t go wrong with either neighborhood but I’d agree with the others on downtown Brooklyn.

That building your talking about (Avalon ft green) is right on the boarder of ft Greene and downtown Brooklyn. You would actually be closer to prime downtown Brooklyn (and city point) then prime fort green. That building is a little on the “older” side but the apartments are a little bit larger. If you want the shiney and new check out the hub, 250 Ashland, Ava dobro or the city point buildings. All of them are newer and have things like movie rooms and swimming pools. Think of Avalon as an older Hilton and the other developments as the W hotel.
Thank you. I plan to check out apartments in downtown Brooklyn when I come back to NY in May.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM

453 posts, read 315,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia_Nia View Post
Another area that I'm targeting is Harlem, NY. I like the idea of living in a brownstone apartment, but I'm thinking that it may be easier to meet people if I rent in a large multi-unit building.

I'm hoping that this upcoming move to NYC will help bring me out of my shell. Outside of fitness classes and work, I'm pretty much a home body.
Commute from Harlem will be a little bit longer, but not by much. But Most of the NYC attractions will be sandwiched between your home and your job, making Manhattan your playground.
I will strongly recommend that if considering Harlem, keep it to the west.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Commute from Harlem will be a little bit longer, but not by much. But Most of the NYC attractions will be sandwiched between your home and your job, making Manhattan your playground.
I will strongly recommend that if considering Harlem, keep it to the west.
I plan to check out condo rentals and brownstone apartments in South Harlem, below 125th street. This location appears to be ideal. Central Park is only a few blocks away.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,875,031 times
What is SBW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City